Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Broadband - Phoneline Problems

Options
  • 02-07-2008 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

I have been having problems with my phone line recently and am wondering if any other Smart customers are experiencing similar problems.

I have Smart broadband and phone for over 2 years now, everything was fine up to a couple of months ago.

While my broadband has always worked fine my phone stopped working. I could not make or receive calls and there was no dial tone. If you rang my number it appeared to ringing but the house phone did not ring.

I contacted Smart support and after 3 weeks it started working again. I was not too put out being without the phone for that time as it's the first time in over two years.

For the last 10 days my phone line is gone again, my broadband still works. I have contacted Smart CS and I'm still without a phone.

Also before someone says it, I have posted this on Smarts Support forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

maybe the phone is broken if you can here it ringing when it diall it, got another one you could test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Try another phone in the socket, just to be 100% sure it's a line fault.

Then if Smart are not prepared to do anything about it tell them that you are now making an "official compalaint". Make sure that you use that terminology and ask them for a complaint reference number.

If this is not resolved within a reasonable time, take it up with ComReg.

You have to exhaust the provider's official compliant process before Comreg will pick up the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

ecodub wrote: »
    I have been having problems with my phone line recently and am wondering if any other Smart customers are experiencing similar problems.

I have Smart broadband and phone for over 2 years now, everything was fine up to a couple of months ago.

While my broadband has always worked fine my phone stopped working. I could not make or receive calls and there was no dial tone. If you rang my number it appeared to ringing but the house phone did not ring.

I contacted Smart support and after 3 weeks it started working again. I was not too put out being without the phone for that time as it's the first time in over two years.

For the last 10 days my phone line is gone again, my broadband still works. I have contacted Smart CS and I'm still without a phone.

Also before someone says it, I have posted this on Smarts Support forum.

Sometimes is difficult for Smart to spot the problem. If Eircom hasnt got back to you yet then, the cause of you not having a dial tone could be due to several facts, for example:

Faulty handset
    Faulty socket
    Fault between Smarts DSLAM and Eircom RSU (either wires earthing fox ex)

If its the last case then it could be either Smart's responsibility or eircom, and trying to figure this out is what it takes so long. If the fault occurs between Smarts DSLAM and their block at the MDF then is smarts responsibility but if it happens between the smart's block and eircom's RSU (phone switch) then is Eircom's. In this case it could be difficult for Smart to spot the fault, as normally their test units are located at the DSLAM pointing towards the CPE (customer) and, as I said, in this case, the fault is probably occurring between the MDF and the RSU (depending on their configuration but in most cases is like this) or even further up, so is up to Eircom to let Smart know whether the fault is on Smart side or not, and this will unfortunately take time.

Anyway this is just 3 of many causes...

I think that I talk too much, will go to sleep now.

I am sure Smart are very familiar with this situation give them time but keep ringing them, dont let them "forget".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ecodub

Solair wrote: »
    Try another phone in the socket, just to be 100% sure it's a line fault.

I have tested the phones, I have changed the splitter and removed the splitter completely - and still no phone or dial tone.

The broadband on the same line has been unaffected during the phone outages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Don't forget to make them credit you for the lack of phone service which is parrt of the package you pay for.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

ecodub wrote: »

I'm having the exact same problem with my phone. Calling tech support has been pretty much useless - plug it out, plug it in, new phone, no splitter, no modem, standing on one leg, etc. I'm at the "call us again when you are at home" stage now.

I'm in Drumcondra, Whitehall exchange.

My broadband has also been flaky of late - would go for a couple of hours on end. It would drop and I would get the bb not working message from the smart modem. It's been gone for 2 days at this stage. Honestly the phone could go up in flames for all I care but the BB is a pretty big deal for me.

I'm losing my patience at this stage, DigiWeb didn't take back their Metro equipment so I might be back to them soon enough. Which is a shame because Smart seems like great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

i had that problem-disconnect the broadband-reconnect it-phone worked.

Advertisement