Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds Nests !

Options
  • 02-07-2008 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

We have a nest of baby birds in our newly built garage and are wondering what birds they are and how long will it take before they 'fly the nest'! We are putting off hanging garage doors to allow parents to fly in and out of them. Anyone in the know?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This will wing its way over to the DIY forum (Christ I just love the puns ;))

Edit: Should have sent this to the Nature & Bird Watching forum. Delly will be able to move it from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A pic would be a great help, but in the absence of one.
    Is the nest mud or vegetable material?
    If it looks as though it is made of mud they are probably swallows.
    The chicks can fly anywhere from 22 days in good warm weather to 56 days in the shyte summer we are now enduring.
    We have some in the chicken shed and they are coming along slowly, cold wet weather means not as many insects for them to feed on.
    Of course they may not be swallows....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Probably are feckin swallows.

I have had a few goes in the last week or so of poking down the nest that they are building at the apex of my north gable. Want to make sure they don't get eggs laid in it, so no guilt trip for me. Eventually, they'll get the message or just get tired.

It's not that I mind the birds so much but I'm not putting up with about 6 weeks of their sh*ite dropping down on the car and people passing!

It is illegal to interfere with swallows nests regardless of whether they have eggs or not.
    Is 6 weeks really that long in your life?
    These birds are in decline and having to find another nesting site may just prove to be to much.
    I don't understand this behaviour it seems as though people are that far removed from the natural world that any interaction bar seeing it on telly is a step too far.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

CJhaughey wrote: »
    It is illegal to interfere with swallows nests regardless of whether they have eggs or not.
    Is 6 weeks really that long in your life?
    These birds are in decline and having to find another nesting site may just prove to be to much.
    I don't understand this behaviour it seems as though people are that far removed from the natural world that any interaction bar seeing it on telly is a step too far.:confused:

It's total ignorance and selfishness, the old "well i don't mind them as long as they don't bother me". What would summer be without swallows. The public in Ireland are so far removed from nature compared to other countries. I have swallows in my shed and house martins in my eaves and i love having them there and watching their progress every summer. In a few weeks time they'll be gone and i won't have to clean up their sh1t till next year. I don't enjoy cleaning but if everybody took the action this guy did we wouldn't have any. I am more than happy to prosecute these people, report anybody doing this to NPWS or you local Ranger. By the way fair play to the OP and the birds you have are most likely Swallows or possibly house sparrows. If they have long forked tails they are swallows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

If they are very fast moving with a long forked tail and browny-red cheeks they're swallows.

We had a nest last year outside our front door - under the canopy on top of the light. We think there were three eggs and two live hatchings - but for some reason our nest became the juvenile hangout - every time we went near the door there was an explosion of feathers and birds as they all flew out - about six/seven of them! The kids loved it of course.

They'll be gone soon enough - and you'll feel poorer for it. We've moved now and went round to the old house and, yes, the nest was there again. I often wonder if it's the birds who spent the summer with us and then spent the winter in Africa.

Also I was surprised how many people on the estate had actually accomodated these birds - many had nested under the canopies - and had left them alone to breed. Maybe all is not lost.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I love birds and nature.We had this problem at home when i was a kid so my father left them fly the nest. Then he pulled down the nest in the winter and hung up a mirror on the same spot. They didn't nest there again!
    Every other eave was nested in except for that one,it was just that the washing line was underneath it and, well you know the rest.
    DON'T INTERFERE WITH BIRDS NESTS!!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I would leave it till they leave. Then power hose it . If they try again. Hose it again before they make progress.

#biting into a chicken fillet burger. immmm nice#

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I would leave it till they leave. Then power hose it . If they try again. Hose it again before they make progress.

#biting into a chicken fillet burger. immmm nice#

ROFL

I mean thats terrible, terrible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It's total ignorance and selfishness, the old "well i don't mind them as long as they don't bother me". What would summer be without swallows. The public in Ireland are so far removed from nature compared to other countries. I have swallows in my shed and house martins in my eaves and i love having them there and watching their progress every summer. In a few weeks time they'll be gone and i won't have to clean up their sh1t till next year. I don't enjoy cleaning but if everybody took the action this guy did we wouldn't have any. I am more than happy to prosecute these people, report anybody doing this to NPWS or you local Ranger. By the way fair play to the OP and the birds you have are most likely Swallows or possibly house sparrows. If they have long forked tails they are swallows.

Park the horse, Mr. Ranger with no name and get down off it!!

If you're so worried about the swallows, offer to clean their sh*t of peoples cars, paths, clotheslines.

As for being in decline, what are you basing that on? In my opinion, I seem to be overrun with them altogether. More this year than I've ever seen.

I have no objection to them in general... just not going to have them sh**ing down on top of me. I've enough humans doing that at the moment:) Let them feck off and build elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Damomayo wrote: »
    ROFL

I mean thats terrible, terrible :D

By my calculation. 7 fully grown swallows would be needed to make one swallow fillet burger :pac: lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

They are either swallows or housemartins. It will probably be September before they leave and as for the mess they leave, granted some can leave a right mess but for the past couple of years I have had them nesting under the eaves on one side of the house - neat as a pin, they must be potty trained cause I have seen no evidence of messiness on the patio!!!

In actual fact, I see more evidence of mess left by weekend revellers outside my office every Monday morning after a weekend of brawling, drinking and puking on the street where I work. This weekend I had to get the window cleaner in - blood on the glass which seemingly, started at the bottom of the street and nearly all the windows on this busy street were affected!:eek:

As as for poking the next down, wouldn't dream of it - seemingly, it is bad luck and seemingly again, it is a sign of very good luck if they do nest in the house or garage!! So there! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

build elsewhere!!!

NIMBY;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

suitseir wrote: »
    They are either swallows or housemartins. It will probably be September before they leave and as for the mess they leave, granted some can leave a right mess but for the past couple of years I have had them nesting under the eaves on one side of the house - neat as a pin, they must be potty trained cause I have seen no evidence of messiness on the patio!!!

you must have the upper class ones so..

every night last year i came home to inches of bird cr*p on top of the roof of my bay windows from the swallows above, a fully grown human doesn't produce as much waste as them. wouldn't mind if it was on the footpath which is easy clean, but the roof is a pain in the ass to clean.

let those who defend them haul out the ladder, power hose and extension lead every night for a summer and see if they are still as stout in defending them. i have 3 other eaves they can nest in, just not hat one.

mossym wrote: »
    you must have the upper class ones so..

every night last year i came home to inches of bird cr*p on top of the roof of my bay windows from the swallows above, a fully grown human doesn't produce as much waste as them. wouldn't mind if it was on the footpath which is easy clean, but the roof is a pain in the ass to clean.

let those who defend them haul out the ladder, power hose and extension lead every night for a summer and see if they are still as stout in defending them. i have 3 other eaves they can nest in, just not hat one.
    So let me guess, you took a stick and smashed the nest too?
    Bird crap on the roof, wow thats some impediment to your lifestyle:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

CJhaughey wrote: »
    So let me guess, you took a stick and smashed the nest too?
    Bird crap on the roof, wow thats some impediment to your lifestyle:rolleyes:

didn't i just say i cleaned the roof? if i smashed the nest would i still have had to clean the roof?

might have been hard to read from your high horse...

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

We've got a similar problem at the moment. Definitely swallows at the front of the house but not sure what they are at the back. I would have no problem with them there, the noise doesn't bother me but the amount of poo coming out of the nests does bother me. It's on our cars, the bins, the balcony, upper windows and the walls around these windows are all splattered with bird poo. The windows are difficult enough to clean upstairs but the walls are impossible and they look terrible. They've been at the back of the house for yrs but this yr it's the front too and it's intolerable at this point. I'm going to wait until they feck off and get spikes put in to stop them coming back to the front of the house. It's all fine to say you should tolerate them and it's nature but wait until you've got a heap of bird poo greeting you at the front door every day no matter now much you clean it away.

Advertisement