Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which parrot?

Options
  • 02-07-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

As a child I kept a wide variety birds and had an aviary and caged birds. I kept finches, quail, small parrots etc. But I had to give this up due to study and other responsibilities,

Anyway I want to get a bird for indoors now, more exotic than a cockatiel but not bigger than a Grey or Amazon. I'm thinking a hand-reared hahn's macaw, conure, senegal... something along those lines.
    The bird must be well-behaved and confident, so something like a POW or ringneck is out.

Will be very stimulated and mostly free when we are home but will be caged with plenty of toys and a radio playing when we are at work (4-8 hours on weekdays). It's just me and my girlfriend, no kids... dogs, or cats to bother it.

So any opinions on what could be a good birdie for us? I don't really need indepth advice but I'd be delighted to get some suggestions. ;)

Cheers, Rory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Awww cockatiels can be exotic when they want to be. Not too familiar with larger parrots. Any bird can misbehave so that is a matter of luck and training best way to ensure that is to get one that needs a new home rather than buying from a shop that way the owner can tell you all it's little traits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Jessieannas

I'd say African Grey. They can be smart little things if you train them right and they can be a friend for life :). Notice, I said CAN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Thanks guys. I've had 4 or 5 cockatiels in the past so I want something new.
    I'd like an african grey but I'd find it quite high maintenance and they are a fair bit above my price range for handreared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

my father has had 1 for years and they a beautiful coulorful birds, easy to care for and cheap. not sure if there are handreared availible tho!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not familiar with other parrots so not sure what to suggest but there's an excellent forum called tailfeathers lots of bird owners on there with diff. types of birds.

• Advertisement

my father has had 1 for years and they a beautiful coulorful birds, easy to care for and cheap. not sure if there are handreared availible tho!!!

Yeah they are lovely. On my list any way! I love the Eastern and Crimsons!

Went with a Senegal. We love her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kellier 999

im thinking of getting a sengul parrot what are they like i heard they are great birds

So I wish I didn't have to but I suppose I'd better stick a post back up here. If anyone could keep an eye out for another Senegal or a Quaker for me that would be great. I miss the nibbling and squawking too much. Thanks!

Advertisement