Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Progress

Options
  • 02-07-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

I have my test on Tuesday and failed the last time because of progress. What do I need to look out for this time? If the other cars ahead of me are going faster than the speed limit then do I keep up with them and break the speed limit too???

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I was always told to stay slightly above the posted speed limit, like 53 in a 50 zone etc. Worked for me in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

you need to stay max 5km under speed limit, don't go over it - don't mind the car in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

don't go above the limit. react quicker moving off, get up to speed quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

SarahSassy wrote: »
    I have my test on Tuesday and failed the last time because of progress. What do I need to look out for this time? If the other cars ahead of me are going faster than the speed limit then do I keep up with them and break the speed limit too???

Progress is fairly broad so it's hard to pinpoint where you may have fallen down. But, do not break the speed limit, progress would refer to your acceleration to keep up with traffic until you reach, say, 50km/h. So you dont accelerate too slowly letting cars infront take off, yet you dont gun it either, you merely keep up with traffic until you reach the speed limit. (sorry if that sounds confusing:o). Another common progress fault arises at yield signs, for example at a roundabout, where by a driver stops before entering a roundabout, when the road to the right is clear, and it would be safe to continue through without stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Avoid undue delay in pulling out at junctions. If you are having difficulty finding a gap in traffic,edge out a little and make your presence known without being to pushy. Someone may then let you out.

If a bus is stopped picking up/setting down, you will be expected to pass it, if safe to do so.

Similarly, if you find yourself behind a slow moving vehicle (streetsweeper, tractor, forklift truck, excavator etc.) you'll be expected to pass it also.

Try to keep up to the speed limit (if conditions allow). The examiners don't like being delayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

you need to stay max 5km under speed limit, don't go over it - don't mind the car in front of you.

:confused:
    That's another common fault/misconception, there is no need to drive under the speed limit if the conditions are safe to travel at say 50km/h. That is another area progress faults are picked up, there is no need to be over cautious, it will work against you in a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

My driving instructor told me that he was worried about my progress as well. I was going too slow in some of the housing estates; going along in second gear when I could have been in 3rd. Also, I'm terrible at turning right across the main traffic. I always think "Oh, that car is too close, I'll wait until there is a bigger gap." That's all well and good if the cars are genuinely coming very fast, but that's not necessarily how the tester will judge the situation. And it's all down to experience, I think. The longer you are driving, the more familiar you are with things like that. I need to work on it a a good bit :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Drive as fast as you like, sure the moderator of this forum kbannon has stated he regularly speeds and sees no problem with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Do this in towns and stuff... if you do put the foot down a little hard here and there by accident or whatever you are aloud 10% over the speed limit before you will fail, so if you go to 55 in a 50 zone thats ok and so on but tbh breaking the speed limit on your test or ever for that matter is highly inadvisable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Drive as fast as you like, sure the moderator of this forum kbannon has stated he regularly speeds and sees no problem with it!

Troll.

As for the progress thing, it rarely means "driving at the speed limit" it's more threading the car through traffic and junctions without losing time stopping unnecessarily. Look as far up the road as you can see and be making decisions about what to do before you need to do it. Don't mind other drivers breaking speed limits, they're not driving your car.

I broke the speed limit twice in my test. By not much. Only got green marks for it. They don't count against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Drive with the flow of traffic without exceding speed limits. Accelarate smoothly and quickly away from junctions etc. Assess the situation as well as you can i.e. whether or not you have to completely stop at a yield sign or roundabout or whether you can drive through.

Progress is tough to call, as what one person deems an acceptable gap in traffic may not suit another person.

I got one Grade 1 in my test (otherwise clean - phew) for progress. I had stopped at a yield sign to check rather than rolling though as there was a tree in my field of vision. What the tester saw was a stop when there was no need. Tough one to call.

Advertisement