Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recession and An Gardaí

• 02-07-2008 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

Will this whole recession thing effect the amount of guards recruited, do ye think?

like I'm in the competition at the moment but i'm not overly confident so i plan to do a degree in legal studies should i not pass anything, then reapply, but my dear mammy is worried that the state will cut down on the amount of guards it is going to recruit?

Is this the case?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Kidd-o wrote: »
    Will this whole recession thing effect the amount of guards recruited, do ye think?

like I'm in the competition at the moment but i'm not overly confident so i plan to do a degree in legal studies should i not pass anything, then reapply, but my dear mammy is worried that the state will cut down on the amount of guards it is going to recruit?

Is this the case?

Firstly, Get that lack of confidence out of your head. Its completely the wrong attitude to have!!!!

As for the recruitment numbers, I don't know but there'll always be some recruitment.
    1. Garda numbers need to go to 14000, as per government promises. (I know we shouldn't take that as gospel but i'm an optimist)
    2. There's a large number of members retiring every year, so they need to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

Oh i am confident, im just not overly confident lol

thanks, bless the auld dear she worries lol

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

It might not effect the numbers being recruited but the number of applicants may increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

From todays Independant

THE worsening economic climate could result in cuts for the gardai, but frontline services will not be affected, Justice Minister Dermot Ahern said yesterday.

In difficult economic times, each government department had to examine its budget to find out where savings could be achieved, Mr Ahern said, but he was confident key spending areas such as fighting crime would be treated favourably.

"I'm not saying no cutbacks. But I'm happy that whatever happens within my department, An Garda Siochana will be able to continue to do its work to the same level as they have been doing for the earlier part of this year," Mr Ahern said.

Mr Ahern was commenting after a report in yesterday's Irish Independent which said senior Finance officials had called for a close watch to be kept on the garda overtime bill, which is in danger of overshooting its budget.

He said a fresh look at the budgets would be undertaken for next year, but at the moment the gardai did not want for funding. "The garda commissioner and I have spoken on this many times. He is happy with the resources he has," Mr Ahern added. "Obviously, for next year, we have to look at that and see how we can assure the gardai, who are our frontline service to the people, that they will continue to get the resources that are required and I'm confident they will."

Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy said he and his management team were working within their budget. He pointed out that €20m had been ringfenced for Operation Anvil, which was tackling crime nationwide. "I'm not going to let budgetary issues prevent me from providing a proper policing service," he said. The two men yesterday unveiled an extra 130 bikes for the Garda's mountain bike units.

I'd say that what will happen is the number of recruitment drives might be reduced, but there will still be ongoing recruitment.
    The goverment cant be seen to freeze garda numbers given the facts that crime is on the increase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cuppa21

Do you really think they will cut the amount of recruitment intakes? I have to do my PCT and wont make the august intake, do you's think there will still be an intake in november?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

cuppa21 wrote: »
    Do you really think they will cut the amount of recruitment intakes? I have to do my PCT and wont make the august intake, do you's think there will still be an intake in november?

No their were won't be a reduction in the intakes at all as they need to meet numbers and therefore need the 4intakes annually ... However they may decide to reduce the number of recruitment drives from 4 to 3 annually pending figures etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Hey all, not meaning to be a pessimist but once your given a start date theres no way they can decide not to proceed with an intake is there? I'm just a slight bit worried reading todays Independant with regard to the Governments plans to slash 500m of the budget across all departments? Not trying to worry anyone just wondering cause I've handed in my notice at work and I just want to be sure.

No id say anyone with a letter is fine. Worrying times for the rest of us though :(

• Advertisement

great news.

PSNI ...close this thread off please!

pvt.joker wrote: »
    great news.

PSNI ...close this thread off please!

+1 ... worrying people for no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Same number of guards but youll proberalby find new TETRA radio system will go on the back burner, less cars bought and even harder to get equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

controller wrote: »

Oh thank you, thank you thank you thank you!!!!!! :)

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Oh thank you, thank you thank you thank you!!!!!! :)

That made me giggle you'd think I made the decision.:D What stage are you at poconnor?

That made me giggle you'd think I made the decision.:D What stage are you at poconnor?

haha - I'm just thankful you decided to share the good news :P. I am waiting patiently for public jobs to send me that alert which allows me to apply for the very, very first time.......(aw, bless.) It's something I have always wanted to do but cirumstances prevented it. So I am hoping that there is another drive soon.
    What's your story?

poconnor16 wrote: »
    haha - I'm just thankful you decided to share the good news :P. I am waiting patiently for public jobs to send me that alert which allows me to apply for the very, very first time.......(aw, bless.) It's something I have always wanted to do but cirumstances prevented it. So I am hoping that there is another drive soon.
    What's your story?

I'm starting in August. Best of luck with it. There's talk there will be one more drive before the end of the year. So sit tight and if I can be of any help just ask. I'm no expert on it mind just happy to have got through it.;)

Start doing some work on the aptitudes now, never too early to prepare.

I'm starting in August. Best of luck with it theres's talk there will be one more drive before the end of the year. So sit tight and if I can be of any help just ask. I'm no expert on it mind just happy to have got through it.;)

Start doing some work on the aptitudes now never too early to prepare.

Yeah I should do really, must start checking out some material and doing some reading. Congrats and well done on getting through. A friend of mine started in the college about 2 months ago and is loving it so far.....so you have it all to look forward to. Best of luck!:)

- The programme for Government clearly states 15000 in An Garda Siochana by 2010 (already reached that number)

- No recruitment in August this year (as have been in previous years)

They are starting to reduce the number of recruitment drives this year but the number of intakes won't be reduced to maintain current levels of Gardai in the force ... hence the fast progress this year in getting those who pass through the stages and into Templemore (a few from Feb application in Templemore now and even more from ther Feb application already given the go-ahead for August)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

Why everytime i go on to publicjobs they are only recruiting for the reserves or am i just blind??? Im a dental nurse have my qualifications now, half way through college i knew it wasnt what i wanted but i stuck with it! I know now i want to be a member of the gardai more than anything else in the world. and public jobs is annoyin the feck outa me!!! Please help!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Why everytime i go on to publicjobs they are only recruiting for the reserves or am i just blind??? Im a dental nurse have my qualifications now, half way through college i knew it wasnt what i wanted but i stuck with it! I know now i want to be a member of the gardai more than anything else in the world. and public jobs is annoyin the feck outa me!!! Please help!!!

They only advertise it when there is a recruitment competition on. There is none at the moment, rumour has it that the next one will be Oct/ Nov.
    You have to register with public jobs and set up a notification when a new competition opens, then they will either text/ email you a day or 2 beforehand and then you can apply.
    Sorry to be the nearer of bad news dentalnurse, but hope it helps ;)

ill just have to look down a couple hundred more throats til then!!! Hey it will only make me more determined haha thanks!!!

In the meantime, it's never too early to start practicing for your aptitude test and verbal reasoning test etc. There's material on the public jobs website and at least that way you'll have a good headstart?

You've been a huge help thank you x

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhqlkfsncwsn/

Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy has rejected claims that the garda budget will be cut because of government spending reductions.

Speaking at a graduation ceremony in Templemore today, Defence Minister Willie O'Dea also reiterated the Government's commitment to maintaining frontline policing.

However, he was unable to give an assurance that there would no cut to next year's budget.

Earlier this week Fine Gael claimed crime would soar and communities would suffer because of government-imposed cutbacks in policing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

They can't really cut the numbers of recruits too drastically. At times of recession, crime levels increase so it wouldn't make logical sense for the government to be seen to cut the strength of the force. A previous poster mentioned that cuts would probably be in the areas of equipment, and I think they're probably right. I hope they are anyway! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

i-digress wrote: »
    They can't really cut the numbers of recruits too drastically. At times of recession, crime levels increase so it wouldn't make logical sense for the government to be seen to cut the strength of the force. A previous poster mentioned that cuts would probably be in the areas of equipment, and I think they're probably right. I hope they are anyway! ;)

great so gardai on the street with even less proper equipment than they have now..... analogue radio systems are all the rage don't ye know lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I meant I think the poster is right that that will happen, not that I support the decision! I really want to join the force so I latch on to anything that highers my chances of getting accepted...sad but true! lol!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

i-digress wrote: »
    I meant I think the poster is right that that will happen, not that I support the decision! I really want to join the force so I latch on to anything that highers my chances of getting accepted...sad but true! lol!
    don't worry about it. there is always huge movement of personal in the guards what with retirements, promotions transfers etc. there will always be recruitment. When I joined in 1997 I had been waiting three years on the panel having originally undergone the aptitude test in 1994. I was talking to a sgt recently who reckons there is a huge shortfall of 200 sgts in the job at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kennear

Does anybody know if this will have an effect on the TETRA system being commissioned. I am waiting to hear back for the post of Telecommunications in the Guards. I got on the panel but still waiting to hear back :o There was 20 positions I believe :rolleyes: I hope it's not put on the back burner as mentioned in these posts as I think it's important for the security of the Guarda and would like this position. Has anybody heard anything back for this position :(

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I don't have any information that is not in the public domain but I feel that the recruitment into the GArdai will be slowing down shortly. When that will happen I do not know but as the Indo link on page 2 of this thread we are ahead of the targets for 15,000 members so as to mean that AGS may continue with recruitment on a lesser scale than seen in the last 3 yrs or so. Keep in mind that even 500 jobs as opposed to 1000 a year is advertised the amount of people applying will remain the same. In this recession it could even be more that the 9-10,000 people appyling each year. I would not be relying on what is reported in the media or even what the politicians say. At the end of the day the MoJ could say that recruitment will continue but he has money constraints so the plan could change drastically from month to month.

TETRA - the last I heard it is being delayed by 6 months for a licence which must go throught the Dept of Communications. There is no denying TETRA is badly needed but in the current economic climate it can be subject to delays in roll-out.

Finally the AGS budget is difficult to manage as some incidents cannot be predicted. Incidents such as murder, rta fatalities etc. These all cost money and I predict crime will rise due to more people losing there jobs. Some people who were working now have no job with high mortgage or are used to the high life of the last few years will go back to burglary and theft to get money.

That's my 2c.

Advertisement