Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPL(H) Irish Ground School Forgein Flight Training?

• 02-07-2008 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I have decieded to go to the States for some heli training at a JAR School but was wondering about the feasability of passing the ground exams here before I go out.

What do I need to consider when doing this? e.g. CAA registered school, IAA exams any problem? Irish air law exam V. US air law V. UK air law?

I have a technical aeronautical background and a couple of hours but nothing major, so I envisage being able to assimilate the info once I get down to it. What course materials do you recommend? I have a UK PPL confuser but is there anything to compliment it for the Irish exams e.g. John Swans air law?

Cheers guys;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

http://www.atponline.gs/jalo/index.asp?er=

Say hello to your bible for the next year. study and pass the exams before you go out and you will have a big advantage and a big weight lifted off your shoulder. happy studying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Itchyrivers

Just doing a PPL now... Is that still a relevant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I have decieded to go to the States for some heli training at a JAR School but was wondering about the feasability of passing the ground exams here before I go out.

What do I need to consider when doing this? e.g. CAA registered school, IAA exams any problem? Irish air law exam V. US air law V. UK air law?

I have a technical aeronautical background and a couple of hours but nothing major, so I envisage being able to assimilate the info once I get down to it. What course materials do you recommend? I have a UK PPL confuser but is there anything to compliment it for the Irish exams e.g. John Swans air law?

Cheers guys;)

Are you going to apply for CAA or IAA JAR PPL ?
    I know IAA wanted people to have done all their training with IAA flight schools and got fussey when you mentioned CAA flight school and they went off the scale when you mentioned the states. Maybe just my experience with them ?

If getting CAA ppl then do exams with them since it will make life a lot easier when applying for license with CAA using hours built at CAA school.
    They do recognise IAA medical examiners, but the tests and particularly the RT exam I am not sure about.
    Yes they are all JAR but yet they are different and don't like people don't bits of their training here and there.
    One option is you could study all the subjects real hard and then do the exams over there in US with the CAA accredited school.

One big exam will be the RT and I am not sure how much that will differ between UK and Ireland.

You just need to know the obvious air law that will apply whilst flying in the states (classes of airspace, military zones etc), also you will be using US type RT which differs a bit from back here.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Itchyrivers

Its a JAR school accredited by the CAA.

So you recommend doing the CAA written exams then over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Is it HAI or what is now Bristow in Titusville that you are on about going to ?

I would recommend doing the whole lot in Florida but ideally it means you need to know the confuser and the stuff inside out before you go.
    That way you just do quick revision of stuff and maybe an exam a day for few days.
    Remember to add few days extra to the time over there to allow for exams.
    But before you make any decision, check out with the school before hand about what facilities they have to allow you do CAA exams, in particular RT exams etc.

What will help with exams is that you will be immersed in flying (navigation excercises etc) not like here with couple of hours a week, you should be able to do exams at any time, and it should make it easier when sending in your PPL application.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

The RT exam is something you could do walking in off the street after 2 hours study. All your hours count no matter where you train. If you have any previous experience they divide your totaly hours in two and take that away from the course hours u need to do.Ive never heard of anyone having any trouble with them about where they fly or who they fly with. Bristow is a fully licence JAA training school and all your training will be just as valid as anywhere else in JAA land.maybe even more so with Bristows reputation.

Like jamyo was saying, study everything before you do and try and do one ppl exam every few days.Make sure you are completly ontop of the study and are ready to sit and pass every exam before you come over!! you will have very little time to study with your flying schedule.As long as you are prepared for a busy few weeks of flying and are well ontop of the study before you get here you should enjoy yourself!

Advertisement