Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cms frames??

Options
  • 02-07-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi there, im wondering is there a way of making a single dynamic frame in a static website. For example, a 3/4 page static html website, but id like one section of one page, say news or events, to be editabe and changeable by the owner of the site by loggin in and changing just that frame. This would save me making a whole dynamic site or using a cms. Is there any cms/equivalent for a single frame? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Don't think I understand the question, or the point of what you're trying to do.

A 'static' website with an editable frame... yeah, sure you can... but how does that make anything any easier? The owner logs in and chages *content*.. I don't see how it makes a difference whether that content turns up in a 'frame' or just on the page itself.

Just because the content is editable doesn't mean the headers/menus/footers/etc. have to be editable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Many CMSes enable you to define editable and protected areas. Something like http://www.cushycms.com/ is one example.

Mind you adding news items requires creation of new files, so some training seems inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I could see how this could be done with CMS Made Simple.

Each page can have a different template.
    For the static pages they would have one template.
    The news page would have a different one where the only editable section would be the news text. The rest of the text would be in the template.

You can assign editors to each page so you'd have the admin be the only editor for the static pages and the client an additional editor for the news page. The client would not be able to edit the other pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Thanks lads, tricky D, that cushycms seems is the perfect idea, but is there any similar free one that i could upload to my site (like a normal cms) or customise so that it would look like part of the site? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

..or any simple cms that can be used to edit text etc within tags in the original html.

• Advertisement
Advertisement