Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Avenged Sevenfold

• 02-07-2008 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Just started listening to these lately, I like City of Evil and Avenged sevenfold a lot. Not so mush into the Vocals of M.Shadows in the first two albums but still appreciate the music.

Whats peoples opinions of this band, and what do the early fans think of M.Shadows dramatic change in vocal style.

Frankly I think M. Shadows is a great vocalist when he's NOT just growling!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Woo.. love A7X =)

I prefer their newer stuff too, but like a load of the old songs.. especially Remenisissions! Only started likin them in the past year so the first songs i listened to were from City of Evil.. Burn it Down is one of my fave songs ever.

Did anyone go to see them in Dublin in February? Such a brilliant night =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I quite like them although the quality of their songs varies quite a bit. They deserve a lot of credit for their ever-changing sound and while others may disagree I think Synyster Gates is an excellent guitarist.

I saw them at the Download festival in 2006 and I was impressed by M. Shadows' vocals. I didn't think he'd manage the screaming and the singing but he did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

I saw them play at the Academy (Manchester). Awesome band live, really like them. Hell of a show in the smallest venue (Academy 3)....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Saw them in Paris Wednesday night supporting Maiden. If you want uninspired crap, try find videos of this performance. I wasnt a huge fan, but said I'd watch them, and one of my friends wanted my opinion on them as she loves them. Well, all I could say was I hope never have to go through anything like this again. They get a massive support slot supporting Iron Maiden, legends of the whole business, and they come on totally uninterested, just strolling around the place. Idiots! THeir ego has gone way too big, lets hope a bit of karma comes their way and they get screwed over...its the least they deserve. No enthusiasm, no nothing on stage. They were worth all the booing that they got that night....I'll never listen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Wasn't grunge invented to kill off bands like this? Over the top muck IMO.

• Advertisement

Wasn't grunge invented to kill off bands like this? Over the top muck IMO.
    Considering Grunge started back in the late 80's and Avenged Sevenfold didn't form until 1999, I think that's a little inaccurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

malice_ wrote: »
    Considering Grunge started back in the late 80's and Avenged Sevenfold didn't form until 1999, I think that's a little inaccurate.

Oh dear God.
    I'm saying its almost like grunge didn't happen when you see an hear bands like Avenged Sevenfold.
    80s hair metal pomp sensibilities and cheesy masturbatory guitar solos are acceptable again because of these pillocks.

Oh dear God.
    I'm saying its almost like grunge didn't happen when you see an hear bands like Avenged Sevenfold.
    80s hair metal pomp sensibilities and cheesy masturbatory guitar solos are acceptable again because of these pillocks.
    I don't quite know what you mean about "hair metal pomp sensibilities" so I can't respond to that but with regard to the guitar solos I think they are lot better than you are giving them credit for. For example the first solo from Seize The Day is great. As a guitar player myself, I am always delighted when I hear a good solo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

man i think they are the most chessey ott band ever!! but different strokes for different fokes and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

Didnt they get booed at Metallica a few years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

He did not have a choose with the City Of Evil vocals, he riped vocal cords and was doing a lot of damage to himself, he had to get several operations because of this, if you search some videos on youtube you can see that latly he is screaming a little again, he is hoping to be screaming again on the new album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Avenged Sevenfold and Slipknot are the only bands that have supported Metallica and not got booed, come to think of it Alice In Chains dinit either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

They ended up being Metallica's main support act i think two years dew to Korn pulling out dew to illness i just saw there last song
    They are overrated scene "rock" i mean i hear how way too much how Gates (get a decent name fool) is a brilliant best in the world soloist blah blah blah when he is not, he's mediocre at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I really don't like them to be very honest, and because I was infracted a few months ago because of something I said about this band I think I will just leave it at that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

I think they're pretty good, the first 5 tracks on the new album are tops. And Gates is a helluva guitarist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

City of Evil and the self titled album aren't bad albums, I haven't really listened to the first two much. I'm not really a fan of a lot of the lyrics and some of their songs are just plain cheese but all in all they're not bad. Their stage names and image are pretty much a joke though imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I don't like them at all, they need to find their own style and stick with it instead of being like a cover band using genres instead of songs. They sound like a parody sometimes as well. (see Beast and the Harlot for an example)

Sofaspud wrote: »
    I don't like them at all, they need to find their own style and stick with it instead of being like a cover band using genres instead of songs. They sound like a parody sometimes as well. (see Beast and the Harlot for an example)

And they follow up their cover sound by making video's that have be done before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Saw them supporting Metallica and thought they were mediocre. They butchered "Walk". I distinctly remember bottles of piss being aimed at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Saw them supporting Metallica and thought they were mediocre. They butchered "Walk". I distinctly remember bottles of piss being aimed at them.

I distinctly remember falling asleep while crushed in the front row for them:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Seems like he's directly from the Paul Gilbert School of Mindless Shredding, except that Paul has more soul.

I WANT that guitar, though! $800 from Schecter.

Rustar wrote: »
    Seems like he's directly from the Paul Gilbert School of Mindless Shredding, except that Paul has more soul.

I WANT that guitar, though! $800 from Schecter.

Hardly shredding though sure 3/4 of the video is him playing some stupid riff:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

I used to hate them and think thought that M.Shadows voice was too whiney or something.
    Can't get enough of their new stuff.
    I love them now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Stev_o wrote:
    Hardly shredding though sure 3/4 of the video is him playing some stupid riff:eek:

I base my opinion on watching more than one video of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i love this song for the main riff, a little bit of city of evil, NOTHING else though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

rubbish band of the highest order. plus they seem like complete knobs. how they got to do a track on maiden stibute album i dont know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭God Of Radio

One of my fave bands right now.

Advertisement