Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banshee in Kilmacow, Waterford

Options
  • 02-07-2008 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

After hearing a few versions of a story about a banshee screamin around the golf coarse and around the granny/kilmacow area lately. Supposedly something to do with the work on the new road. Anyone hear anything bout it or even better, anyone hear or see it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I know there are stories going years back in that area but havent heard anything in a long while. I knew it was meant to be a death omen but from what I remember it wasnt a banshee ... cant remember what its meant to be though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Fox calls particularly at night can come close to a high pitched scream and can last for a while. As far as I know its a female mating call, but I have no idea if this is the season for it.

I know many banshee legends link to animals, or panic apparitions of the one about to die, but the noises are similar

Is there a different story specific to the area?

I got in touch with someone last night and they told me that the banshee in this area is called a Drum due to the fact that it doesnt make the usual noise. Its meant to be a dark figure whose presence is accompanied by a deep rolling noise almost like thunder. As with the banshee its believed to be a death omen.

Might be worth getting in touch with the historical society?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My mum was telling me only the other day about some guy years ago who died impaled on a set of gates in a big estate somewhere in Waterford. His family duly chain up the gates and vow never to open them again because of the bad luck associated. Fast forward many years and the gates are all thats left of the estate, still chained up in a copse of weeds and trees, untouched. The land around it is being developed and the gates need to go. But no one will touch them, because of the belief that they are cursed or whatever. Then as is the way with these things, someone is hired and the gates dissappear overnight. And the sound of a bawling banshee has been heard in the area since.

Thats how I heard the story, and of course I imagine its like Chinese Whispers and has been embellished. Hopefully someone from Waterford can tell us more on the reality of it.

• Advertisement

Waterford people might not be too happy to help after my resent outburst on the last podcast >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Oryx wrote: »
    My mum was telling me only the other day about some guy years ago who died impaled on a set of gates in a big estate somewhere in Waterford. His family duly chain up the gates and vow never to open them again because of the bad luck associated. Fast forward many years and the gates are all thats left of the estate, still chained up in a copse of weeds and trees, untouched. The land around it is being developed and the gates need to go. But no one will touch them, because of the belief that they are cursed or whatever. Then as is the way with these things, someone is hired and the gates dissappear overnight. And the sound of a bawling banshee has been heard in the area since.

Thats how I heard the story, and of course I imagine its like Chinese Whispers and has been embellished. Hopefully someone from Waterford can tell us more on the reality of it.

Cant say i've ever come across that particular story myself but it may be related to the tales about the past Lords of Waterford living on Curraghmore estate perhaps ?

I cant remember the exact details but IIRC it was something about the current lord being cursed and his sons dying as a result ?

Ill try find it.

6th wrote: »
    Waterford people might not be too happy to help after my resent outburst on the last podcast >_>

What did you say? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Lol! True true 6th!

I'll ask some questions today about the noises - Have plenty of people out that direction.

efla wrote: »
    What did you say? :confused:

http://podcasts.boards.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Always thought Kilmacow was in Kilkenny?

6th wrote: »

It wasnt that bad..... :rolleyes:

Any more info on this op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Was up there the other night for a look around. Nothing but thick thick fog which made it a bit more weird. Havent heard anything from anyone else about it. I think there was a thread on upthedeise about it aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Oryx wrote: »

Was out drinking with people from the neck of the woods last night.

Anyways, the story is a family, possibly, the Jones, had a large home there, one of the men of the family was coming home drunk on a horse, and fell on the gates/got impaled, and the gates were never to be opened, etc etc.

The road works have been up in that area of late, I'm not sure, and noone else seems to be, but supposedly, the gates have been taken down, and the soil dug up/disturbed. There was supposed to have been an article in the paper during the week, but it was debunked as the noise a barn owl makes. Personally, I doubt it's a banshee as such, but just a ghost.

Fog? That must have been a bit eerie tbh :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

It was! What made it even more weird was that it jus ended out of nowhere, it was like it was in a select area. And it was so thick! No screamin ghosts to be seen though

Advertisement