Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I Dislike About Carlow

Options
  • 02-07-2008 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Just thought I might get the ball rolling on this one as it hasn't been brought up here until now.
    Having lived around here for most of my life, I can say Carlow is far from the worst place to live and its generally an allright place to be but I always like getting away for some reason and don't think I'll ever settle down here. I was also able to give a visitor a grand tour of the town in 15 minutes last Saturday .. before he decided he wanted to head straight back up the country.

Anyway Some of the Things I dislike:

Town on a Saturday Night/Drink Culture.
    The state of the Roads all around the Town centre.
    Poor Train Service in the mornings to Dublin.
    Lack of Tourist Attractions.
    Lack of Industry and Business.
    Its Commuter Town Status.
    No General Hospital
    Some of the People.
    That theres not much happening during the week.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

inarut wrote: »
    Just thought I might get the ball rolling on this one as it hasn't been brought up here until now.
    Having lived around here for most of my life, I can say Carlow is far from the worst place to live and its generally an allright place to be but I always like getting away for some reason and don't think I'll ever settle down here. I was also able to give a visitor a grand tour of the town in 15 minutes last Saturday .. before he decided he wanted to head straight back up the country.

Anyway Some of the Things I dislike:

Town on a Saturday Night/Drink Culture.
    The state of the Roads all around the Town centre.
    Poor Train Service in the mornings to Dublin.
    Lack of Tourist Attractions.
    Lack of Industry and Business.
    Its Commuter Town Status.
    No General Hospital
    Some of the People.
    That theres not much happening during the week.

Any opinions?

I have and opinion:

1. Town on a Saturday Night/Drink Culture.

You'll get that anywhere in ireland

2. The state of the Roads all around the Town centre.

Apart from tullow street around shamrock square I think the roads are ok. Where area are you talking about?

3. Poor Train Service in the mornings to Dublin.

6:30am, 7:25am. 8:50am and 12:01pm... whats wrong with that?

4. Lack of Tourist Attractions

eeemm I'm not too sure about this one and maybe Carlow town is lacking BUT I'd bet there's plenty in the county of Carlow.

5. Lack of Industry and Business.

That's changing. More and more company/businesses are coming to carlow. Supermarkets we never had before, insurance companies, hotels. Sucks that we lost the sugar factory though :(

6. Its Commuter Town Status.

meh!! Again like No. 1 above... you'll get that in alot of places.

7. No General Hospital

That sucks ass tbh!!

8. Some of the People.

Agreed but again, not just carlow suffers.

9. That theres not much happening during the week.

Make stuff happen, go swimming, join a club, meet up with friends... organise an astro turf soccer match....if that's what you're into.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

no proper shopping mall.

dont say fairgreen. its a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

darkbeatz wrote: »
    no proper shopping mall.

dont say fairgreen. its a kip

Its funny how Carlow is billed as a "shopping destination". Theres a Discover Ireland ad on the radio, where Victoria Smurfit says she stopped off in Carlow for some shopping.

Something doesnt fit right here, Victoria Smurfit browsing through Heatons or Sports World or Barratts?! The Fairgreen is fine but how it is put forward as a shopping Mecca, I do not know.

One thing I hate about Carlow is the accent. Not the Carlow accent, but the "town" accent, you know the one, usually accompanied by a baseball cap dangerously close to falling off the back of the head, sounds like the guy is in pain. That one. For such a small county we have wide range of accents.

We have too many phone shops.

All the bars are essentially the same. All the bars insist on playing Dolly Parton, Working 9-5 at least once per hour.

We still have only one nightclub worth visiting. There seems to be a monoply when it comes to bars/nightclubs, with a handful of people calling the shots and making it very hard for others to get started.

The Quinnsworth/Pennys car park, that really gets under my skin, do not enter here unless you are driving a 4x4.

The fact that pedestrians still walk out on to the pedestrian crossings that now have lights on Kennedy Avenue.

The junction at the coach park, not so much the junction but people who cant seem to understand that the green light in front of them is what they should be obeying and not the red light for the other side of the junction.

The fact that the view of the castle in Graigue has now been completely obliterated by soon to be no go area apartments either side of it.

The fact that whenever you tell someone you are from Carlow they say "oh I bet you listen to Richie Kavanagh in The Foundry every Saturday".

The junction at the coach park, not so much the junction but people who cant seem to understand that the green light in front of them is what they should be obeying and not the red light for the other side of the junction.

OMFG Thats so annoying!!

ShayK1 wrote: »
    OMFG Thats so annoying!!

I feel your pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

"Eh lad............whats the scenario!"

Ah its not that bad. Can think of but wont mention 10 towns worse off then Carlow.

"Goin Foundry man?"

Every town has its ups and downs.

"Ah man got queaaaaaaaaaaaare wasted, ah lad was sh'it faced"

Im proud to be from Carlow

"Gottta smoke lad?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

The fact that the view of the castle in Graigue has now been completely obliterated by soon to be no go area apartments either side of it.

[rant]

That has been one of my major gripes about living in Carlow, I live in Graigue and thus pass the castle on a daily basis when going to/coming from town. There has never anything much been done, or made of the castle, ok, a couple of years back they did some landscaping around it, put in some plaques, information points etc. But vandalism has taken care of those. Instead of a nice lawned family area with a great view of the castle, they stick in a multi story building, blocking the view.

The castle is sourrounded by chinese, or thai (not sure what they are) restaurants, why wasnt there ever a visitor centre put in there? A fecking museum or something? (god knows we're waiting long enough for a museum here and there still seems to be no major effort being made to get the new one up and running!).

Ok, there's not much of the castle left, but it has an emmence amount of history behind it and there could be more made of it! I think Victor Hadden put it best:

"So Carlow turned its back on its castle. Even the little houses that encroached upon it looked the other way. But the western wall with its two flanking towers, gazes out hollow eyed towards the green fields of Slieve Margy.........and dreams of other days."

[/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ah here carla is a great little town lad, but fairgreen was a complete mistake it is full of skangers and going to end up a worse kip than the "mall" where pennys is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

lack of proper mens shops!!!

oh and lack of book store,bump bump!!:D:D

The lack of shops that stock Cannelloni tubes is begining to get to me also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

My main one would be the cinema and the fact that only certain movies get a release here....and the fact that it doesn't sell buttered popcorn but that aint just a Carlow thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

carlow is not that bad other places are alot worse. Things have changed in Carlow in the last 10 years - for the better and I think things will contine to get better. But I defo HATE the roads and all the roundabouts!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭inarut

Its funny how Carlow is billed as a "shopping destination". Theres a Discover Ireland ad on the radio, where Victoria Smurfit says she stopped off in Carlow for some shopping.

Some good shops but definitely not enough to bring the masses down the country for a days shopping. But if we had a really good bookshop??????
    One thing I hate about Carlow is the accent. Not the Carlow accent, but the "town" accent, you know the one, usually accompanied by a baseball cap dangerously close to falling off the back of the head, sounds like the guy is in pain. That one. For such a small county we have wide range of accents.

Bugs me more than anything else really. Usually steer well clear of those quare savage sounding people.
    We have too many phone shops.

And hairdressing and beauty salons. They seem to be all over the place. Carlow's a mecca for that though:)
    The fact that pedestrians still walk out on to the pedestrian crossings that now have lights on Kennedy Avenue.

Hate the stop-start-stop driving on that stretch of the town. Really do. Arggh!

Scandallous in every way. Completely removes any remaining views of the castle which is now surrounded by apartments and takeaways.
    To much advance office developments now in the town anyway. Just have to hope they're eventually occupied I guess.

Just back to the earlier points I made at the start of the thread, Carlow with a population of 25,000 is Ireland's largest town outside the Greater Dublin area without a General Hospital. Kilkenny is still only a 30 minute drive away if theres an emergency... The "punctuality" of the Dublin trains in the morning ensured myself (over a 3 year period) and many other commuters made regular calls saying "I'm late for work". Still Needs some improving there- "Not there yet but we're getting there" as Irish Rail quite rightly said. With the other points- location and infrastructure have hindered the ability to attract significant industry/business to the town in recent years. Again things may yet improve with companies moving to the town, the annual supply of graduates from the IT and the bypass etc.

Anyway rant over. The good things about the town - maybe set up another thread like this one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86502
    For me its some of the bars, choice of restaurants, shopping, leisure facilities, short walking distance everywhere and some nice residential areas and walks.
    All in all a good place to live but some things as above just constantly annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

The cinema pisses me off tbh, not much else, its a nice town in fairness, there are tonnes more places up and down the country that are much worse. I live in Tullow, so maybe I just dont spend enough time in Carlow town to be sick of it:D.
    I do wish the foundry had some competition though, its packed most weekends and especially on bank holidays and the like, it does be rediculous. I remember there a few months back I was playin poker in Dublin and when talking to some of the lads I mentioned I was from Carlow, to which one of them asked "Were ya in the Foundry last night, quare savage isnt it?!":mad:, ****in smartar$e.

By the way, is Carlows "quare" equivalent to Cork's "Like" at this stage? We seem to be fairly well known for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

The lack of shops that stock Cannelloni tubes is begining to get to me also.

That will be addressed in 3 weeks.:D

Special Days - Gift & Gourmet Emporium

Opening July 28th approx. @ former Eason premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭xual

I've lived here 30 years man and boy.. Its the people I know that make it for me.. With out them its a pure waste of a spot.. Seriously besides eating, bowling or cinema there is nothing to do at night except drink your gee off!!!!

Not good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

xual wrote: »
    Seriously besides eating, bowling or cinema there is nothing to do at night except drink your gee off!!!!

Not good

Is the bowling alley still there?....I thought it had been replaced by a gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Is the bowling alley still there?....I thought it had been replaced by a gym.

Theres bowling in the dome in any case

mcaul wrote: »
    That will be addressed in 3 weeks.:D

Special Days - Gift & Gourmet Emporium

Opening July 28th approx. @ former Eason premises.

Im gona hold you to that btw!

PM sent also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭inarut

Back to the original thread. Theres not enough live music or any comedy nights along with a theatre in the town. Even if it was only occasional entertainment....

• Advertisement

there most definately is occassional comedy gigs in carlow.
    Tommy Tiernan was here, d'unbelievables were here... I'm sure somebody can mention a few more

ShayK1 wrote: »
    there most definately is occassional comedy gigs in carlow.
    Tommy Tiernan was here, d'unbelievables were here... I'm sure somebody can mention a few more

Yes we do have occassional gigs. Id much prefer a dedicated venue which can attract regular gigs. Castlebar is a great example of a small town that can drag in big names regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

So ya i've been in carlow 3 years now, and i really don't have too many complaints other than its a small enough town. But seriously thats no real complaint, i mean that town is what it is.

But a few things that do wreck my head,

The traffic lights that replaced the perdestrian crossings - i mean why of why did they do this, it has just meant that the traffic has gotten worse along that street rather than improved it. People still treat it like a pedestrian crossing and you get stopped at both traffic lights regularly which is infuriating.

The cinema - oh my god, a ****hole and a half. never get any movies and when you do to see the one you want the popcorn is ass!!!

The roads in the town center are really bad, with a lot of one way streets, dodgy as hell parking and people pulling out of parking spaces along the road without actually giving a crap if a car is coming or not.

Midweek entertainment that doesn't involve drinking til u fall of chairs with students that still use the "verb" PARTY ON.

Finding a pub that shows munster matches on a tv that you can see!

The fact that scraggs have improved as a pub soooo much yet the people that go there still treat it like the craphole that it used to be.

So ya thats way too many complaints, it really isn't that bad but i do wish it was just a little bigger haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

in relation to the lights on lower barracks street(cant remember the proper name so lower barrack street it is then) it was to address the safety concern brought up by many drivers, my self included, but in private, not to the council. in accordance with the rules of the road, every pedestrian is breaking the law by making you stop suddenly, i know there was a letter writen on behalf of all driving instructors in carlow as this was putting off new drivers. to the point where they may actually hit someone if the emergancy instructor break hadnt been there....

the cinema-
    what happened to the one openin in phase 2 in fairgreen. its sometimes on the map thingie at the front of the main centre. sometimes not...petition any one? or any one want to go halfies on opening a new one?

the sugar factory-
    (moment of silence....)did any one notice that they finally took down the iconic towers the a month or two back. it sad to see all those jobs gone and the smell during the campaign. but there is no doubt that they were pumpin sh1t into the river, as a rower, just after the campaign you'd get a foam forming on the water, lovely town magnet.

will there be a grand opening of that shop? cheese and wine reception? **moochy moochy**

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

No Karting track anywhere near, anyone remember there used to be one on the outskirts of Castlecomer?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

slimjimmc wrote: »
    No Karting track anywhere near, anyone remember there used to be one on the outskirts of Castlecomer?
    Kiltorcan isn't that far away

There was an indoor track in Newbridge too. Long time ago now though.
    Kiltorcan is great craic!! I'm gonna have to head down there again soon.

aynon wrote: »
    in relation to the lights on lower barracks street(cant remember the proper name so lower barrack street it is then)

Kennedy Ave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Nightshiftguy

QUOTE]

That really does my T*ts in .. how stupid are some ppl.. they stop... And 4 or 5 cars behind them beeping away and they still dont move.. god put a copper on the corner for te day and give each of tem points for blocking a road..

• Advertisement

Another junction that drives me crazy is the turn for Aldi off the Dublin road. When you turn right (from Kilkenny) or left (from Dublin) on to the road down to Aldi/Woodies, there is a fupping pedestrian crossing right on the junction. Which means if you are turning with a row of cars and a pedestrian crosses in front of you, the row behind you is likely to smash into you.

Whoever designed this layout for the pedestrian crossing has clearly never drove a car.

Advertisement