Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I Dislike About Carlow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

shayk1 wrote:
    Kennedy Ave?
    FO lol

two little niggily things annoy me, barracks street, not only for the really weird red light thing, but, this might just be me, the bus park.
    yes it has 3 lanes. why is that nobody understands the road markings. i have been there when there has been a few close calls with cars and buses. 2 of the lanes are exits, one only for entrance(the one right at the pet shop door.) i have actually seen some cars going up the furthest one from that, the one right beside the bridge.

another one is the woodies entrace, driving out of there, can be seriously dangerous. they even but down new road markings, extreamly clear. but people still insist on coming in the out lane(inuedo?) its particularly off putting for newlearner drivers. 3 drivings schools use woodies car park as HQ. i myself was nearly hit in my instructors car when i started learning there a while back when i was on like my 3rd lesson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Another junction that drives me crazy is the turn for Aldi off the Dublin road. When you turn right (from Kilkenny) or left (from Dublin) on to the road down to Aldi/Woodies, there is a fupping pedestrian crossing right on the junction. Which means if you are turning with a row of cars and a pedestrian crosses in front of you, the row behind you is likely to smash into you.

Whoever designed this layout for the pedestrian crossing has clearly never drove a car.

Would pedestrians use the crossing at all if it was put more 'out of the way'? It'd be safer alright but human nature dictates where these things go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

My main gripe is the absolute pig-ignorance of a significant minority of people parking in the Fairgreen car park. Disabled spaces are constantly being used by people with no permits, yet the car park "attendants" do nothing. What the hell are they there for? Also, the general inability of some people to park full-stop - do you really need to take up two spaces???

They also badly need to put a second exit from the car park over by the loading pay rather than funnelling everyone out the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

roundabouts in carlow... how many of them is there in carlow?

and you can include the overabouts haha the ones which are white circles of paint....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Would pedestrians use the crossing at all if it was put more 'out of the way'? It'd be safer alright but human nature dictates where these things go

Extend the barriers further down the road and they would have to. Similar to a roundabout near the Fairgreen, its annoying having to walk down the road to cross but it is much safer.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    My main gripe is the absolute pig-ignorance of a significant minority of people parking in the Fairgreen car park. Disabled spaces are constantly being used by people with no permits, yet the car park "attendants" do nothing. What the hell are they there for? Also, the general inability of some people to park full-stop - do you really need to take up two spaces???

They also badly need to put a second exit from the car park over by the loading pay rather than funnelling everyone out the same one.
    this point was vindicated, my mother, who is disabled with a permit, a car beside her with no permith, had a €50 fine on the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

pedestrianise more streets in carlow and bring in night-only deliveries in the town centre and it cuts out all the congestion and makes the town safer for everyone

have you seen the tullow street at night, and have you driven down it
    its more dangerous! image the amount of delerie related accidents that will happen in the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

aynon wrote: »
    this point was vindicated, my mother, who is disabled with a permit, a car beside her with no permith, had a €50 fine on the window

It would actually make my day week to witness that!

I can remember working in Woodies years ago and this woman asked me to carry out some shelving she bought. Now this is a mid week night, the car park is literally empty. She had the choice of all the parking spaces close to the store. But she still parked in a disabled spot, simply because it was a fraction closer! She actually explained how this was the closest spot!

I have noticed the misuse of spaces in the Fairgreen also. People seem to think, just because their husband stays in the car that they can take up a reserved space. Driving around by the door of Tescos is something I just can not do anymore. The amount of people who just park in the way there is freaking annoying.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    It would actually make my day week to witness that!
    it did, mine!

I have noticed the misuse of spaces in the Fairgreen also. People seem to think, just because their husband stays in the car that they can take up a reserved space. Driving around by the door of Tescos is something I just can not do anymore. The amount of people who just park in the way there is freaking annoying.
    i think it was funny, i was walking through the car park a couple months back, while the parking attendant doing his walk around, and the above point happened, this is what happened.

women with husband in the drivers seat, park in the third disable spot.
    woman hops out, husband stays in car.
    attendant goes over and ask woman where is her permit or disabled person.
    " oh im only going in for a second.."
    "dont care if your in for 2 seconds, or 2 hours, your not disabled, a disabled person needs that spot, GET OUT!"

thank you attendant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

awh kewl well done attendant, bout the the lazy and ignorant minority of carlow were shown what's right....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 I'mamuppet

It does my nut the way they've laid out the cones so you have to drive by the main entrance if you go into fairgreen. Every bloody car has to stop in the middle of the road to drop someone at the door.
    Hate to burst your buddle about the fines but they actually cant force you to pay it as the private companies cannot get access to your details from your reg to chase you for payement. Only the council can do this. Basically you can just chuck it in the bin. Fair play to the warden for moving yer one from the disabled spot.
    Didnt they put lights up at Aldi and the take them down again? That whole fairgreen aldi area is a disaster if its a saturday and its raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I'mamuppet wrote: »
    It does my nut the way they've laid out the cones so you have to drive by the main entrance if you go into fairgreen. Every bloody car has to stop in the middle of the road to drop someone at the door.
    Hate to burst your buddle about the fines but they actually cant force you to pay it as the private companies cannot get access to your details from your reg to chase you for payement. Only the council can do this. Basically you can just chuck it in the bin. Fair play to the warden for moving yer one from the disabled spot.
    Didnt they put lights up at Aldi and the take them down again? That whole fairgreen aldi area is a disaster if its a saturday and its raining.

the lights are still at aldi well if you mean the ones back from it at pizza hut?

I'mamuppet wrote: »
    they can, actually, they are paid, by fairgreen, but licenced by the council.so bam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭inarut

Lets revive this thread! One of the things I can't stand is the lack of things to do in Carlow during the week. Have been travelling Europe for the last 4 weeks and have never been bored for a second. Carlow just seems to be about friday and saturday nights and if you're not that kind of person go elsewhere i think..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

This aint just a Carlow thing, everywhere in the country is about friday and Saturday nights. There are just no alternatives to pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭inarut

+1. If your not into long weekends, friday and saturday nights along with the late night takeway and taxi home, you don't belong in this country. Just seek alternatives and maybe emigrate just like me! Life is better on the other side!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

Yes we do have occassional gigs. Id much prefer a dedicated venue which can attract regular gigs. Castlebar is a great example of a small town that can drag in big names regularly.

to be fair to carlow, and you know this yourself jumpa, but when there was gigs both in the music factory for the bigger names and the underground for the smaller names (fight like apes, ham sandwich, hybrasil etc) no-one from the town bothered going which meant the gigs where scrapped. unfortunate but if the town wont support live music then theres no way anyone is going to bother putting on gigs.

thats my gripe about carlow - theres nowhere to catch a good live band outside of the covers **** in the foundry

• Advertisement

iamhunted wrote: »
    and you know this yourself jumpa

Ah, thats who you are!

Yep, we have gone over this over and over again. And while it does come down to people not really being that bothered, it is also a matter of habbit.

Last Saturday night, I was in Cosmo Browns(or whatever it is called). A great location for a bar but it was completely empty. The simple fact of the matter, in Carlow, people will seldom vary from Scraggs, Levs, Foundry and perhaps Tullys.

If the gigs were held in these venues, there would be great attendance. Certain venues in Carlow have a stigma, one they will never lose. The Tao complex has this stigma and I dont think it can ever shake it off. Which means events organised here are really up against it.

unfortauntely you'll never run a live gig in the likes of scraggs et al ..... they are mainly cover pubs who dont want anything else, plus the clientelle doesnt want anything else either. if people want to see live music they should support it no matter what pub has it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

i dont like the roads on tullow rd..no matter how many "road works" there have been. the road just seem to get worse for less than 2 weeks!! espcially the road near Lidl. i drive a yaris and its SOOO bumpy.its disgraceful.

Next i dont like is the roundabout near fairgreen/inner relief road/Gala shop(hope people know which one im talking about) when im coming from town and want to go to the inner relief road. Drivers should take the right hand lane. But so many people DONT kknow that!! So whenever i drive and theres a car on the left,i always slow down just to make sure i dont crash to it.

yea. i like the barriers put down so that pedestrains dont just walk out in front of you.
    actually i kinda like the lights on kenedy avenue. because that road is SOOO busy.and theres people wanting to cross ALL the time.you just never get to move! but now you do.because there's lights up. And lots of people are copping on with tha fact that there IS a pedestrain light.

P.S. when the lights were laid out first. I saw a person taking her driving test. And she obviously didnt realise there are pedestrain lights there.Because it was green but she still stoped !! yea..i saw her later in a car with an L-plate on...oh well

oh yea. i wish the bowling alley was more "in-town" now its just too farway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Next i dont like is the roundabout near fairgreen/inner relief road/Gala shop(hope people know which one im talking about) when im coming from town and want to go to the inner relief road. Drivers should take the right hand lane. But so many people DONT kknow that!! So whenever i drive and theres a car on the left,i always slow down just to make sure i dont crash to it.

that gets me so worked up too,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

i dated a woman from hackettstown oncefor whom spending her own money was a majorly traumatic experience.saw her some time back and she has balooned in weight and is now hideous so her.

I kinda liked the Four Seasons ? Hotel( near the Mart) where I hid from her one evening and had a slap up dinner with a smoked fish starter that couldnt be beat. Havent been back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

i wish the bowling alley was more "in-town" now its just too farway

Can you not just load up the yaris and head on out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

as a tourist in ireland from the uk ifind carlow and its friendly people alovely place to go unlike places like dublin manchester or london you can go out for a pint without geting shot at

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

glad to hear it!!

roadworks on the old leighlin road just outside the swimming pool - i hate the fact they decided to start just when school is back as that part of graigue gets pretty backed up on school mornings as it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

getz wrote: »
    as a tourist in ireland from the uk ifind carlow and its friendly people alovely place to go unlike places like dublin manchester or london you can go out for a pint without geting shot at

C'mon Dublin aint that bad....well most of it. But yeah i prefer Carlow to Dublin.

Advertisement