Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I Dislike About Carlow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

C'mon Dublin aint that bad....well most of it. But yeah i prefer Carlow to Dublin.

typical carlow publican agree with the tourist - sure isnt Carlow great- lets see you serve them when they have no money:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i was in your bar with my wife son and his girl friend last feb. and i have to say nice bar staff and you made us feel welcome back for next feb for the full month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

CDfm wrote: »
    typical carlow publican agree with the tourist - sure isnt Carlow great- lets see you serve them when they have no money:pac:

Lets see anybody serve anybody when they have no money:pac:

Anyway hes right, its not that bad, well I've never been shot at anyway, even though I can be a bit of a cnut:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

C'mon Dublin aint that bad....well most of it. But yeah i prefer Carlow to Dublin.

Carlow is always good for a stabbing now and again though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

jake59 wrote: »
    Carlow is always good for a stabbing now and again though!!

Well thats just not true, and if you say it again Im gonna give you such a stabbing:mad:

I kid,I kid!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

everywhere has its moments...

as mod I hope i can't take that as personal abuse?

i thought it was things I dislike about Carlos - cant think of a bad word to say about him - hes a great bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Next i dont like is the roundabout near fairgreen/inner relief road/Gala shop(hope people know which one im talking about) when im coming from town and want to go to the inner relief road. Drivers should take the right hand lane. But so many people DONT kknow that!! So whenever i drive and theres a car on the left,i always slow down just to make sure i dont crash to it.

oh yea. i wish the bowling alley was more "in-town" now its just too farway

That roundabout is an absolute disgrace, i must agree with you on that one. A lot of driver's in carlow seen take the left lane and then last gasp cut out in front of you into the right hand lane and down onto the relief road. It's a wonder that there hasn't been a load of crashes on it, or has there been?

The bowling alley when it was in town was brilliant obviously not the service itself just it's location. Seeing it located out on the periphery of carlow really discourages pedestrians from making the journey out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

That roundabout is shocking!
    I've had VERY near misses on that...everytime the person who came up on the left of me thinks they're in the right :rolleyes:

Thing is though, that's not split into 2 lanes?
    at least I can't see any road markings anyway..

The other roundabout which annoys me a LOT is the one at Spar/Hoseys leading towards Fairgreen, if coming from the fire station direction towards fairgreen you ALWAYS have people who come up in the right hand lane to go straight ahead and then beep ME! It's times like that I really wish I had ROTR books to throw out the window.
    Is it that hard to understand..left lane..first and second, right lane, everything after the second exit..

honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Can you not just load up the yaris and head on out?

what about people without cars?before i had a car,i walked out there..it was FAR..and it suddenly started lashing rain...yea.bad memories
    oh and i almost forgot.
    the crossroads at shamrock square.people are back on that spot to em "earn" money....its annoying

• Advertisement

what about people without cars?before i had a car,i walked out there..it was FAR..and it suddenly started lashing rain...yea.bad memories

Yeah i agree, the idea of putting it out there was an absolutely stupid one in my opinion. The town never really sported much in that category of public services which makes the idea of moving it outside the central heart-beat of the town absolutely stupid.Grand for car drivers but alot of the bowling alley's customers would not be driving patrons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Carlow is a fine county and I regularly go there for Hillwalking in the Blackstairs or to go to Domino's pizza. However, in a previous life when I worked in retail, around 70% of difficult customers were from Carlow town or its environs. I dont know what happened to these people on the drive here but it turned some of them into complete monsters. So to sum up, I dislike all of the complete ar$eholes from Carlow I've had to deal with over the 7 years I spent in retail!

*Disclaimer...this is not a reflection on all people from Carlow. I've never met a nasty person in Carlow (staff of Pizza Hut excluded).

stickdan -thats me told - i once went to see the dolmen and it was like small - so there

<<Topic Cleaned>>

CDfm, you understand from the pm the patrick sent you why i had to clean up the thread?

That was a low blow with the dolmen remark.:D

stick-dan wrote: »
    <<Topic Cleaned>>

CDfm, you understand from the pm the patrick sent you why i had to clean up the thread?

That was a low blow with the dolmen remark.:D
    of course - i posted something nice about the smoked fish starters in the Four Seasons and you dont want everyone to know about them as it causes traffic on the roundabout.

exactly lol :D:D glad you understand, can't have everyone eating them starters ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Can I say the Carlow accent, or will I be tarred and feathered??? :rolleyes:

The Tesco carpark at Fairgreen badly needs another entrance/exit over towards the goods entrance. Absolute madness to funnell everyone going to the retail park and everyone going to Fairgreen itself into the same single entrance.

the carlow accent most definately must be allowed :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sondal

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Can I say the Carlow accent, or will I be tarred and feathered??? :rolleyes:

The Tesco carpark at Fairgreen badly needs another entrance/exit over towards the goods entrance. Absolute madness to funnell everyone going to the retail park and everyone going to Fairgreen itself into the same single entrance.

one thing i really dislike about Carlow town, is that all new developments seem to be able to get planning approval, even though they dont have enough car spaces for the users, ie you and me; the general public. For instance the recently completed yolk on Hanover behind Aldi, where the
    Nationalist now reside only has a scaled down car park for staff. Its no wonder no retailers have moved into the ground floor. It was supposed to have over 100 parking spaces, but I reckon they have two dozen. Another gem on the way is the new corner site for the Doctors opposite Shamrock Plaza. This Touchstone primary care centre only has limited underground car parking, so the council levied the standard 4800 for each space the developrs could not provide. THis adds up to over €250,000 in contributions to Carlow Town Council. However, the stingy developers are applealing this excess fee for car spaces. Any you wonder why the place around Fair green is jammers with car trying to park for day to day shopping and business. Its ok to maximise profit, but the knee jerk lessons never seem to be learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

The Carlow accent... from what foul pit of hell did that accent come from. I always thought that an accent is just a way of pronouncing words, but Carlow people physically alter their throats in order to belt out that high pitched, pterodactyl-esque howl. It's really offensive to my ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Think you might have the wrong county there, maybe you should check your map again. Must have been holding it upside down :p

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

The Carlow accent... from what foul pit of hell did that accent come from. I always thought that an accent is just a way of pronouncing words, but Carlow people physically alter their throats in order to belt out that high pitched, pterodactyl-esque howl. It's really offensive to my ears.

Dublin City Centre...Hmmmmmm!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

F**k up your mouh
    You may chill ou n take some waaher

It drives me nuts too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I'd dont think Harry was abusing the other poster.
    I think he was just adding more annoying things about the accent.
    He even says as much in the bottom line (small text)

The 1st line is a common saying from the top of the town, havn't heard the other one though.

+1 i have heard those sayings in carlow.

Anyway the Dolmen is a disappointment. I wasn't expecting stonehenge but it is a bit on the small side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

should be uninfracted soon my bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i hate all the business parks and hoards of warehouse type stores on the outskirts of town both out the dublin road and out where dunnes is. in ten years all these units will be empty and derelict making carlow look as bad as when gillespies was lying empty in the middle of town all them years ago. all tourists and others that might spend money will see is desolation as they drive into carlow:o:(:mad:

also the council should be hung drawn and quartered for allowing this and all derelict buildings should be knocked down and the sites cleared and turned into free car parks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i hate all the business parks and hoards of warehouse type stores on the outskirts of town both out the dublin road and out where dunnes is. in ten years all these units will be empty and derelict making carlow look as bad as when gillespies was lying empty in the middle of town all them years ago. all tourists and others that might spend money will see is desolation as they drive into carlow:o:(:mad:

also the council should be hung drawn and quartered for allowing this and all derelict buildings should be knocked down and the sites cleared and turned into free car parks.

The problem with the Dunnes development and all around it is the area is in laois and planning for the developemnt was granted by Laois CC dispite objections from carlow CC.
    Only in the past few weeks has the planning for that area transferred from Laois to Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

mcaul wrote: »
    Only in the past few weeks has the planning for that area transferred from Laois to Carlow.

Say what? Have you any info on this or a link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I hate Carlow wasps. For further information see random waffle thread.

Advertisement