Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday and Weekend Weather (Significant rainfall)

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Total of 10.5mm since the rain started around 4am. Current shower is easing off a tad. Woke up to a couple of loud downpours this morning, but I would say the rain in general was moderate rather than continuously heavy. Grimey look to the sky.

Edit:

Tuesday into wenesday not looking like blue sky days:

uk_rain_08070900.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

71.2mm rain yesterday, that will take some beating.
    Upper winds changed direction so much drier today, 1.3mm.
    Currently 13.4°C

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

13.5mm here since midnight, with 6mm of that in the hour from 5am-6am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snowbie wrote: »
    I see your point but in all fairness orographic lift in mountainous regions greatly enhances rainfall and Supercell was in a prime location. As there is no gauge in Sandyford(we'll never exactly know rainfall) and this time it is on the windward side of the mountains yesterday/last night, i doubt there be a huge difference in rainfall right through the Dublin county overnight. The exception is the water run off from the mountains as his close proximity to it why streams are bursting there?

Have played the radar loop at 5min intervals and rain never seemed too moderate let alone heavy last night.:)

It was the proximity of Sandyford to mountains and being perhaps near 100m high that I thought there may be a slight orographic lift influence there. I hadn't looked at any radar loop to see if this may have been the case.
    Agree it is drainage from mountains causing streams to burst and it may just be high water table meaning that relatively small amounts of rain can casue flooding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Heavy showers, possibly thundery?, starting to get a baring on Dublin now as the center of the depression moves East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Mentioned that in the Ts thread, 2 cells over NI now but quiet. Can see them showers have a bearing on Dublin later just when the energy in the atmosphere dies down, typical.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Mothman wrote: »
    It was the proximity of Sandyford to mountains and being perhaps near 100m high that I thought there may be a slight orographic lift influence there. I hadn't looked at any radar loop to see if this may have been the case.
    Agree it is drainage from mountains causing streams to burst and it may just be high water table meaning that relatively small amounts of rain can casue flooding.

agree on the stream, i'm just off enniskerry road between lambs cross and stepaside, a bit lower than the road at about 115m.

Can't say for sure on rainfall, but saw that the quoted overnight fall was later noted as since midnight and we had heavy falls from 8pm onward last night, so if 8-12 was added in that would make more sense to me at least.

Not sure about high water table, this is the first time in 3 years I've seen that area even slightly flooded, never mind becoming a lake! It also drains very quickly once the rain has receded.

copacetic wrote: »
    Can't say for sure on rainfall, but saw that the quoted overnight fall was later noted as since midnight and we had heavy falls from 8pm onward last night, so if 8-12 was added in that would make more sense to me at least.

Recorded 7.2mm from 6pm to midnight yesterday, added to the 13.5mm overnight would make 20.7mm in the 24 hours to 6pm today.

DOCARCH might have better totals as he'd be closer to Sandyford but he's in Italy at the moment!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

nemonoid wrote: »
    DOCARCH might have better totals as he'd be closer to Sandyford but he's in Italy at the moment!

Indeed I am! Will let you know for the record when I get back next Sunday.

Just had a nice MCS here for the last couple of hours to keep me occupied and keep my mind off what's happening at home!

No rain here at all this afternoon, everything passed just west of here, captured as usual in time lapse :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Hi Guys,

Just thought Id ask seems you seem to be really good at weather forecasting.
    How is Tuesday/Wednesday looking for outdoor activity with poor bored child!!?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday seems the best day of the week. Wednesday, basically try look for indoor activities.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

anybody know what next sat is ment to b like i'm going to a car boot sale and am hoping the weather will b fine????????

Too far out to be certain. There is talk about an Atlantic high approaching from the west on Fri/Sat but that is 50/50.
    By Wedensday should make it a bit clearer as what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

3 day rainfall totals mm
    Ballyhaise 23.7
    Belmullet 3.2
    Birr 35.9
    Casement 42.7
    Claremorris 10.7
    Cork Airport 57.2
    Dublin Airport 42.8
    Johnstown Castle 42.1
    Knock Airport 8.6
    Malin Head 6.3
    Mullingar 42
    Oak Park 34.3
    Roches Point 53.3
    Shannon Airport 19.4
    Valentia 17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

We seem to have got off reasonably OK here over the weekend if that's what you'd call extremely heavy rain on Saturday morning and evening(33.5mm at Dublin Airport!). But from mid-morning to evening on Saturday and for most of Sunday was some very pleasant summery weather(total of 14 hours sun at the airport for the weekend). I recorded a max of 19+ on both days. Just shows what you settle for in a summer like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

According to http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=69 Dublin Airport has already exceed its normal July rainfall total by 10mm and is at nearly half of last July's total!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There wasn't any significant heavy rainfall here, as forecasted for all areas over the weekend. There was a short spell of rain that lasted about 3 hours mostly light rain. We got off lightly here, I heard there was some flash flooding in parts. No Thunder but seen a few CB's which never matured. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭secman

East of Gorey yesterday suffered from severe rainfall, flash flooding, thunder and lightning The ditch at side of house was a raging torrent and the power of it caused it to cascade accross the road instead of staying in the roadside ditch. The garden was under quite a bit of water for about an hour afterwards. Yet my brother based in Dublin was telling me how lovely the weather was up there ! The sunny southeast definitely got the weather as forecast.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Showers will develop again on Friday but most places will have sunny spells too. Friday night will be dry and mostly clear, with light variable winds; it will be mild also, with mist or fog patches forming. Saturday will be mainly dry and bright, with temperatures near normal; however, outbreaks of rain will arrive in the northwest and west later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Back from my Italian holidays!

Looking back at last weekend for the period of the 04th, 05th and 06th of July (72 hours) I recorded a total of 70.2mm of rain.

36.0mm being on the 06th (Sunday) with 13.2mm between 04.30 and 05.30 (my highest hourly total of rain to date).

Advertisement