Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

carseat in front of commerical vechile??

Options
  • 02-07-2008 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

My sister wanted to bring my 4 year old with her to shop's, wanted to check can you put booster seat in the front of her commerical defender.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There would be no airbags so that aspect should be ok. See http://www.rotr.ie/your-licence-and-vehicle/vehicle-safety/child-restrain-systems.html
    seems to be ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

If its just a booster seat you should be fine, as it is a commercial vechile it should be okay even with an airbag. Once the passenger is belted in its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cabrwab wrote: »
    If its just a booster seat you should be fine, as it is a commercial vechile it should be okay even with an airbag. Once the passenger is belted in its fine.
    I don't think it's being a commercial would help a child much if the airbag were to go off.

Its a booster seat, not a rear facing seat, so there for they would be ok, a little sore alright. Plus its a defender, so no airbag i would say! I was just saying that the chances of them being suffocated by being forced into the seat back face first is reduced. In a car crash nobody knows what will happen, but the child will be retrained, with a required booster seat so therefore classed as safe.

And as a commercial vechile i was saying it is allowed to have a child in there with the proper seat/booster!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I had my niece in the front of my Transit (no passenger airbag) in her back facing babyseat, I hope that was ok:eek:

Why would it be any different from a car though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Its a booster seat, not a rear facing seat, so there for they would be ok, a little sore alright. Plus its a defender, so no airbag i would say! I was just saying that the chances of them being suffocated by being forced into the seat back face first is reduced. In a car crash nobody knows what will happen, but the child will be retrained, with a required booster seat so therefore classed as safe.

And as a commercial vechile i was saying it is allowed to have a child in there with the proper seat/booster!
    My understanding is that child seats, no matter what way they face, should never be used in the immediate presence of an active airbag.

Its no different from a car, and its fine when there is no airbag!
    Nice of you bringing the niece out for a day trip in the transit! :D

No front facing ones should be ok, its the rear facing ones have being known the trap the child into the back of the seat, but there are the special front child seats you see with the extra "blinker" head rests, they are specially designed to not have the full force of the airbag connecting with the face of the child.

But with cars now having curtain airbags and airbags coming out of every orifice in the car the chances in an accident of a child getting an airbag somewhere is increased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Manual for my car jus specifies no rear facing baby seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I believe children should be in the back if there is a back seat, but with a commercial or a 2 seater sports car, a booster in front is legal. From the Rules of the Road (blah blah not an actual law...):
    • Where safety belts have been fitted, they must be worn.
    • Children under 3 years of age must not travel in a car or goods vehicle (other than a taxi) unless restrained in the correct child seat.
    • Children aged 3 years or over who are under 150cms in height and weighing less than 36 kilograms (i.e. generally children up to 11/12 years old) must use the correct child seat or booster cushion when travelling in cars or goods vehicles.
    • Children over 3 years of age must travel in a rear seat in vehicles not fitted with safety belts.
    • A rearward-facing child car seat must not be used in the front passenger seat of cars with active airbags.
    • A child car seat must be in accordance with EU or United Nations - Economic Commission for Europe (UN-ECE) standards.
    • Make sure passengers aged under 17 use the correct seat, booster seat, booster cushion or seatbelt. All drivers are legally responsible for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

I regularly carry my kids in the front of the car. Prior to doing so, I checked this out with the Road Safety Authority and was informed that it is not illegal to carry a child in the front of the car once they are restrained properly (i.e seats and belts).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

I have 3 month old twins and a transit. I sometimes take one of them out in the van with me.(Rear facing seat, no passenger airbag.) Though I could just about fit the other one in the middle seat, I think legally, I do not, as I think it would be too close to the drivers airbag if it went off. BTW, they both seem to prefer the van to the car, probably because they can see out the side window if awake, and the bouncier ride lulls them to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kbannon wrote: »
    There would be no airbags so that aspect should be ok. See http://www.rotr.ie/your-licence-and-vehicle/vehicle-safety/child-restrain-systems.html
    seems to be ok!
    Its a booster seat, not a rear facing seat, so there for they would be ok, a little sore alright.
    Be careful, if an airbag hits a child it can smap their head back and break their neck. The booster will help but check.

Advertisement