Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are best universities in country for politics?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Just wondering peoples opinions on best courses out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I really dont know. They do it as part of the Arts omnibus in NUI, I go to UCD and study Greek and Roman Civilisation and History, I never considered Politics. Although whatever University has the smallest class size would be best, UCD has 300-500 per class so I'd say that is out. Not sure about postgrad level though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I can't say about the other 6 universities, but I've studied politics in UCD and while the class sizes are large, the material is good and the resources vast. There is a large politics department so postgrad is a huge strength. There is also a very large array of politics modules to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

It depends what you're looking for, to be honest. If it's Irish politics, comparative politics, theory, nationalism, UCD is good.

UCD is also good for international relations, but Limerick, Galway and DCU are coming up. Cork has a good geography department that includes social geography. Not quite politics, but some good heads there. Maynooth also has the only anthropology department.

Development Studies, if that's what you're into, is strongest in UCD, but Kimmage Manor also offers a more practically-oriented course, as does Humanitarian Assistance in the Faculty of Agriculture in UCD.

Trinity is a bit odd; as well as the philosophy department, teaching seems oriented towards British political traditions in terms of expertise offered; there are a few decent comparative theorists, international relations tends to focus on the 'English School' of international relations.

That's been my experience of these places over the years, anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well UL have 2very good courses in
    HPSS-History, Politics, Sociology and Social Studies (http://www.ul.ie/admissions/newprospectus/Undergraduate/colleges/humanities/LM046.shtml)
    and also
    Public Admin (http://www.ul.ie/admissions/newprospectus/Undergraduate/colleges/humanities/LM041.shtml)... well worth a look at

Advertisement