Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Some Questions

Options
  • 03-07-2008 12:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

Question 1)
    Say you are driving thru a residential area with shops, schools and children in the general area, there are only two lanes, with parking bays on the side of each lane. There is no oncoming traffic.

Assuming the width of the lane is just over one car width, is it correct to move out from the parked cars on your side to say a doors length away, even tho this may put you slightly over the middle line (assuming it's a non-continuous line in this case)?

Question 2)
    You're driving along a two lane road (one for normal traffic, one bus lane). The bus lane has that really thick white line that marks the boundary of the bus lane. Up ahead there is a car stopped attempting to turn right across oncoming traffic, however the road is busy and they're stuck waiting for a gap.

Is it to correct to move into the bus lane to overtake this car after slowing down, checking your mirrors and signaling? (assuming the bus lane is clear). I would have thought that it is, but as the bus lane has a continuous white line, does this make it a no over taking zone?

Question 3)

Using mirrors when turning....
    -centre mirror
    -mirror on the side you're turning to
    -indicate
    -check mirror on the inside again before turning
    -quick glance to the outside mirror as you accelerate away after completing the turn
    -cancel indicator

Is that the right procedure??

Also, what is the correct checking procedure to ensure the way is clear (assuming a right turn)?
    -quick check across the lane you're turning into to ensure there's no oncoming traffic
    -quick check to see if the lane you're about to cross is clear
    -check the lane you're turning into again for the last time
    -ensure nothing's coming down the lane you're about to pull across
    -make the turn

Is that about right?
    -check

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hanley wrote: »
    Question 1)
    Say you are driving thru a residential area with shops, schools and children in the general area, there are only two lanes, with parking bays on the side of each lane. There is no oncoming traffic.

Assuming the width of the lane is just over one car width, is it correct to move out from the parked cars on your side to say a doors length away, even tho this may put you slightly over the middle line (assuming it's a non-continuous line in this case)?

Yes. you would be expected to pass the parked car/s if it was safe to do so, not doing so would incur a progress fault.
    Question 2)
    You're driving along a two lane road (one for normal traffic, one bus lane). The bus lane has that really thick white line that marks the boundary of the bus lane. Up ahead there is a car stopped attempting to turn right across oncoming traffic, however the road is busy and they're stuck waiting for a gap.

Is it to correct to move into the bus lane to overtake this car after slowing down, checking your mirrors and signaling? (assuming the bus lane is clear). I would have thought that it is, but as the bus lane has a continuous white line, does this make it a no over taking zone?

Yes, you may pass on the left, the continuous thick white line of a bus lane isn't saying you can't overtake, it's a dividing line, i would overtake on the left in that situation.
    Question 3)

-centre mirror
    -indicate
    -quick glance to the outside mirror as you accelerate away after completing the turn
    -cancel indicator

Proceedure for turning left:
    -check left wing mirror
    -indicate
    -slow, check centre mirror
    -check left mirror againjust before the turn to look out for cyclists
    -complete turn
    -drive on as normal.
    Also, what is the correct checking procedure to ensure the way is clear (assuming a right turn)?
    -quick check across the lane you're turning into to ensure there's no oncoming traffic
    -make the turn

Is that about right?

No worries, it's nice to have some really "learning to drive" questions again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

I would agree with above.

In the rules of the road it states that you must not cross a continuous white line untless there is an obstruction and it is safe for you to cross it so yes, I would cross the bus lane line for the purpose of overtaking

On the final question, when turning right I always check mirrors and then a quick glance over my right shoulder to check my blind spot befoe I begin the turn

Hth

Dools

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Question 1)
    Yes, move out into the middle of the road if it's safe in this case. A child may step out from between cars on your side. Best to give yourself as much space as possible.

Question 2)
    Personally I would make progress using the bus lane, assuming there is no traffic blocking my lane ahead which would stop me getting out of the bus lane again. (Double check for cyclists or motorcyclists who may be using the bus lane). Don't know the legal implications of this but can't see you being pulled for making progress without causing an obstruction to buses. You are obeying the spirit of the law here if not the letter.

Question 3)
    -centre mirror
    -indicate
    -cancel indicator

Not quite. Use the centre mirror or BOTH wing mirrors as you leave a hazard.
    -make the turn

Is that about right?
    -check

You seem to have checked the road you're turning into and oncoming traffic twice in this description.

Before you make this turn the last thing to do is check your right hand mirror and blind spot for overtaking bicycles or motorcycles (they shouldn't be but they might have missed your indicator and shouldn't won't make you feel much better if you cripple someone just cause they weren't paying attention).

Then look into the lane you're about to take and, if clear, proceed.

Mirror as you accelerate away from the hazard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Excellent guys, thanks a million. I shall continue on so....

Question 4)
    Gear selection... Upon reaching cruising speed, is it correct to change up a gear to ensure fuel efficency?

For example I come off a roundabout into a residential area, but the road ahead is clear and free from obstuction for a considerable distance.

Should I be in 4th gear driving along? Assuming I'm crusing at 50kmh.

Question 5)
    You can only be asked to reverse around a left turn. Right or wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

A general point first - if you are checking your right hand mirror before a manover (right turning or pulling into traffic from a standtill for example) always throw in a "lifesaver" glance over your shoulder (from someone who was knocked off a scooter by a driver who neither indicated nor bothered with a lifesaver).

On your last question - and again being general - be in a gear appropriate to the speed, if you are doing 50kph then 4th / 5th is more appropriate than 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Question 5)
    You can only be asked to reverse around a left turn. Right or wrong?

Yes, because to reverse around a right turn, you would need against the kerb to your right, putting you on the wrong side of the road, and leaving you on the wrong side of the road after the maneuver is complete

A general point first - if you are checking your right hand mirror before a manover (right turning or pulling into traffic from a standtill for example) always throw in a "lifesaver" glance over your shoulder (from someone who was knocked off a scooter by a driver who neither indicated nor bothered with a lifesaver).

Gotcha! I tend to do it most of the time anyway, but I guess it's important to let the tester see you doing it consistently.
    On your last question - and again being general - be in a gear appropriate to the speed, if you are doing 50kph then 4th / 5th is more appropriate than 3rd.

Yup, that's what I was thinking alright. Thanks!! One of the things I do sometimes is go thru the gears too fast and was just afraid that being in 4th at 50 was gonna be a problem!
    noblestee wrote: »
    Yes, because to reverse around a right turn, you would need against the kerb to your right, putting you on the wrong side of the road, and leaving you on the wrong side of the road after the maneuver is complete

K. That's what I'd been thinking, thanks! I'd been doing all my practicing on left hand turns because I figured you couldn't be asked to pull across traffic, be facing the wrong way and THEN be asked to reverse around a corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yup, that's what I was thinking alright. Thanks!! One of the things I do sometimes is go thru the gears too fast and was just afraid that being in 4th at 50 was gonna be a problem!

I went to a couple of crap instructors when i first started learning. They'd try and teach me what gear to be in for a certain speed. "when you hit 30mph you so go into 4th" etc.. (even tho the limits had been well changed to kph at that stage :rolleyes:)

Anyway, I found myself concentrating on the speedo and then trying to change gear and it became one of those things that I was thinking about too much and was distracting. Id just recommend practice, practice, practice, and just get to know the car by listening to the engine. Revving high - gear it up, labouring a little - gear it down. Sooner or later itll be second nature. (like finding the bite on the clutch - took me a good few hours to even master that, but after a lot of practice its no problem) Hopefully a lot of practice for you isnt a problem getting an accompanying driver etc..

Good Luck

Question 4)
    Gear selection... Upon reaching cruising speed, is it correct to change up a gear to ensure fuel efficency?

For example I come off a roundabout into a residential area, but the road ahead is clear and free from obstuction for a considerable distance.

Should I be in 4th gear driving along? Assuming I'm crusing at 50kmh.

You are expected to make use of the gears to reach 4th gear in most small engined cars. Cruising in 3rd would put stress on the engine and reduce fuel economy.

• Advertisement

Proceedure for turning left:
    -check left wing mirror
    -indicate
    -slow, check centre mirror
    -check left mirror againjust before the turn to look out for cyclists
    -complete turn
    -drive on as normal.

No worries, it's nice to have some really "learning to drive" questions again

Having done these checks is it ok to have an extra check around at your blindspot etc, or are these the ONLY checks you're allowed perform...?

Having done these checks is it ok to have an extra check around at your blindspot etc, or are these the ONLY checks you're allowed perform...?

I wouldn't say they're the only ones ALLOWED, but i'd say they're the standard ones, generally i wouldn't check the blind spot in that situation, as i would think that you'd be taking your eyes off the road at a critical moment just before turning.

I wouldn't say they're the only ones ALLOWED, but i'd say they're the standard ones, generally i wouldn't check the blind spot in that situation, as i would think that you'd be taking your eyes off the road at a critical moment just before turning.

Right so!! Cheers.... I'm sorta looking forward to my lesson on Monday to see how good or bad I actually am. I feel totally safe on the road, and like I'm not going to hit anything, and I know where to check, but I'm afraid I might be doing TOO much of it.

I'd say don't over do you observation just because it's your test, as it's a common fault, i'm sure your instructor will know whether you are over "observing". Best of Luck on Monday and more importantly Thursday!:)

Advertisement