Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

topped up online but selected wrong network :(

Options
  • 03-07-2008 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

ok the title says, i topped up my mobile on boi online this morning but selected vodafone instead of meteor. The money has been deducted from my account but i will never see any of it. Will i get this back in a few days? I could ring the bank or vodafone but i just know i will probably spend the money i topped up with ringing them anyway. Surely the money should be refunded if it wont come to me or maybe vodafone will just accept it anyway even though the number is for a meteor network.

Thanks in advance for any advice

EDIT: actually,i didn't even select the network. it was already on vodafone and i never thought about changing it.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ring the bank I guess, but they may not refund you for a mistake you made

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get in touch with the bank and ask nicely. You won't know until you try.

Failing that, sell the top-up to a friend on that network and get your cash back that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

dudara wrote: »
    Failing that, sell the top-up to a friend on that network and get your cash back that way.

he can't do that. you don't get a physical top up code when you top up online, your balance just goes down and your credit goes up.

but since the number doesn't exist on vodafone, chances are the payment will fail anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    he can't do that. you don't get a physical top up code when you top up online, your balance just goes down and your credit goes up.

Sorry. My bad. I've never been a pre-pay customer, the whole thing is alien to me :)
    Sam Vimes wrote:
    but since the number doesn't exist on vodafone, chances are the payment will fail anyway

Depends on the validation I suppose. In an ideal world, it should fail. However, I wouldn't assume that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My understanding is that the topup will obviously fail, and the money will be refunded to your account. This, however, may take a few days (2-3) before you see it again.

No harm calling the bank though, to explain. It actually happens a bit, so you're not the first to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I done it before and you have to get onto the company you bought the credit off which in your case is vodafone. Takes them a couple of days to get it back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I've done the same thing before with AIB, just called them up and they refunded it back into my account, no biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

thanks guys. i rang the bank but had no luck. she was pretty rude stating that there is nothing they can do once i processed the payment. she said it was my fault for selecting the wrong network!!!! And that i should ring vodafone but she thinks it wont work. I wouldn't know what to say to vodafone and i doubt they would care. It would be too much bother for them. I am unhappy with boi though and their blatant comment that it was my fault. The vodafone network was preselected and i forgot about changing it. It shoud not be selected at all and an error message should occur when you forget to select the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jaffa20 wrote: »
    The vodafone network was preselected and i forgot about changing it. It shoud not be selected at all and an error message should occur when you forget to select the network.

this should not be happening but obviously the bank have some arrangment with vodaphone so i would go into the bank and speak to someone else and explain the problem and hopefully they will not be so lazy and will help you out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

podge018 wrote: »
    I done it before and you have to get onto the company you bought the credit off which in your case is vodafone. Takes them a couple of days to get it back to you.
    Same worked for me before. The network are generally pretty decent about refunding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Same happened to me too with online banking, I was unlucky I thought, and never got on to the bank - didn't think they'd do anything about it really!! And chances are that someone did get the top up even tho its a different service provider.,,,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

how do you figure that mumof2? if your number is 086 1234567 and you select meteor, nobody else can have that number so they wouldn't get the credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No1 it is your error, you didn't check the network selected.

I'd give Voda or Banking 365 a call. Chances are they're more used to this error than a teller in the branch and might be better placed to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I am unhappy with boi though and their blatant comment that it was my fault. The vodafone network was preselected and i forgot about changing it.

Yea that was your fault not them, how do you know your mouse wheel didn't select the network or your keyboards arrow keys?If its normally never pre selected then it was something on your side that made that change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    how do you figure that mumof2? if your number is 086 1234567 and you select meteor, nobody else can have that number so they wouldn't get the credit.

because its quite possible in my opinion that if i put 086 in front of my number that it will actually ring.......I'm sure my friend accidentally did that once and got through to someone else - not me:D

Mind you, id have to check it out to be sure myself too.............

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

mumof2 wrote: »
    because its quite possible in my opinion that if i put 086 in front of my number that it will actually ring.......I'm sure my friend accidentally did that once and got through to someone else - not me:D

Mind you, id have to check it out to be sure myself too.............

yes that is a possibility but the op didn't enter the wrong number, he entered the wrong network. if my number is 0871234567, it's not possible for someone with the number 0871234567 to be on a different network, because then we'd have the same number. if i accidentally entered 0861234567, it's entirely possible as you say, but that's not what happened here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

In these cases.. you do need to contact the service provider... vodafone, I use to work for vodafone and got a lot of these quires. When you top up with AIB they always say any probelms contact your service provider.

I remember cases where credit would be applied to the wrong phone we would have to call them and ask could we take it back, to give it to the person who made the mistake. People were always agreeable!

Advertisement