Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about filling in categories on learner permit!

Options
  • 03-07-2008 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

I've a few questions regarding categories on learner permits:

Quoted from citizensinformation.ie

If you wish to have another category of motor vehicle added to your existing licence, your existing licence must be in date. The basic rule is, categories of lower class vehicles may be added to your existing licence without the requirement of a driving test or a driver theory test. Here is an example; the holder of a class C licence can have category C1 added to their licence without having to do a driver theory test or a driving test.

When it says you can add lower class categories if you pass the higher theory test, what is the highest class vehicle? bus/truck. Does this mean you can just complete one theory test in the 'highest class' of vehicle and have a learner permit for all vehicles??

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

sd123 wrote: »

When it says you can add lower class categories if you pass the higher theory test, what is the highest class vehicle? bus/truck. Does this mean you can just complete one theory test in the 'highest class' of vehicle and have a learner permit for all vehicles??

It's not entirely correct. I'm surprised the Citizens Info have got it so wrong.

I had a car licence for 7 years before I got the prov to learn to ride a motorbike about a year ago. I did not automatically hold a licence for an A class just because I held one for B.

On the other hand that may be an exception to the rule. If you can drive an E+ vehicle (a 52 seater bus with trailer of an artic truck) then you can probably easily drive a car.

Fill your permit application out for the vehicle you intend to learn in. Truck lessons are pricey!:D

Edit: I actually think what they may mean is another vehicle in the same class. For example: I have a full A licence, when the restriction comes off next year I can ride any power motorbike. Right now I can also use any vehicle from the A1 class because they're smaller engined mopeds and the like.

C class is rigid trucks, C1 class is small rigid trucks (<7,500kg)
    D is buses, D1 minibuses.

It stands to reason, if you can drive the big version of vehicle in that class you can drive the smaller one.

For B class this is not a worry, there is no B1 class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Im after looking up citizens info again, and it said that you need 2 years on a full licence before you can obtain A (non-restricted) licence, why the hell do you have to have the licence for 2 years? Also, if you get a learner permit for A (restricted) does this mean that you can automatically ride A (res), A1 and M?

Thanks again!

1. Im after looking up citizens info again, and it said that you need 2 years on a full licence before you can obtain A (non-restricted) licence, why the hell do you have to have the licence for 2 years?

2. Also, if you get a learner permit for A (restricted) does this mean that you can automatically ride A (res), A1 and M?

Thanks again!

1. You have to drive for two years restricted because we have no direct access here and no plan to bring it in until bikers start making it an issue with their public representatives.

2. Yes. I am almost certain that is the case. I have a full bike licence and the fields for A1 and M are filled in too. I'm pretty sure someone on here recently mentioned that on said website it mentions that if you have a licence for A you automatically have it for A1, licence of C you have it for C1 etc. It makes logical sense too (unlike not having direct access tests) that if you can operate the larger vehicle you can operate the smaller one too.

Sorry sd123 I just saw it was you I was replying to yesterday too! :)

Im after looking up citizens info again, and it said that you need 2 years on a full licence before you can obtain A (non-restricted) licence, why the hell do you have to have the licence for 2 years? Also, if you get a learner permit for A (restricted) does this mean that you can automatically ride A (res), A1 and M?

Thanks again!

You can apply for an A learner permit any time you want. However there are power restrictions on your licence for two years after passing the test. I'd love to meet the ****head who thought that up. Probably never even rode on a bike in his life :mad:

You can apply for an A learner permit any time you want. However there are power restrictions on your licence for two years after passing the test. I'd love to meet the ****head who thought that up. Probably never even rode on a bike in his life :mad:

Think it was brought in in the UK first, or possibly Germany. (I'm just guessing on the location) the idea being you either learn by experience in those two years or you are good enough to pass the direct access test and can just skip the time restriction.

We just didn't bother with the direct access bit cause it would have meant providing testers with bikes and gear and whatnot. Sure why would you do that?:mad:

Where you've got the test it's a good idea, but here, it's half cocked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

1. You have to drive for two years restricted because we have no direct access here and no plan to bring it in until bikers start making it an issue with their public representatives.

2. Yes. I am almost certain that is the case. I have a full bike licence and the fields for A1 and M are filled in too. I'm pretty sure someone on here recently mentioned that on said website it mentions that if you have a licence for A you automatically have it for A1, licence of C you have it for C1 etc. It makes logical sense too (unlike not having direct access tests) that if you can operate the larger vehicle you can operate the smaller one too.

Sorry sd123 I just saw it was you I was replying to yesterday too! :)

LOL, thanks alot. It's a disgrace that if you have a full licence to ride a bike you still you can't ride anything over 125 cc (or is it above 25 KW?)

+1

Also, one final question relating to categories in general, it says that to obtain a C or D learner permit that you have to have experience driving..... how the hell are you supposed to have experience driving a truck/bus if you cant even get a learner permit without experience? Or does it mean that you have to have a full licence for another vehicle before you obtain a learner permit for C or D categories? ie. full B or A licence?

Sorry for all the questions but as I said, I tried citizens info and they're not entirely clear about it. Thanks again.

LOL, thanks alot. It's a disgrace that if you have a full licence to ride a bike you still you can't ride anything over 125 cc (or is it above 25 KW?)

+1

Also, one final question relating to categories in general, it says that to obtain a C or D learner permit that you have to have experience driving..... how the hell are you supposed to have experience driving a truck/bus if you cant even get a learner permit without experience? Or does it mean that you have to have a full licence for another vehicle before you obtain a learner permit for C or D categories? ie. full B or A licence?

Sorry for all the questions but as I said, I tried citizens info and they're not entirely clear about it. Thanks again.

No it's 25kW, which, while not exactly Nuclear, is powerful enough to have plenty of fun :P. But even a 125 will kill you if you don't pay attention, so keep your head screwed on tight if you're on any bike! :cool: My TDR125 is approx 8kW and will do 100kph.

As for the C and D categories, I think you do have to have a B licence to get a permit for them. I'll try to find out more soon.

Advertisement