Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting tax from Open University courses

Options
  • 03-07-2008 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering is there a certain time of year we have to apply to get tax back on Open University courses or can we apply anytime? Also is there a minimum or maximum amount we can put on our application? For example could I apply for tax back on just one course, five, ten, etc? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

From my experience you can apply at any time of the year. I usually send all of mine in for one year together though. It's less hassle than dealing with someone in the revenue who will look at your file and say something like 'you already got tax relief on tuition fees this year' and then having to explain you are paying on a module by module basis.

For example I have registered for 3 modules starting Feb 09 and have paid for them so I sent in the application with the appropriate receipts. I have received the tax credit so the credits will be backdated to January and I should get that tax back in my next pay cheque and I will have that tax credit for the remainder of this year. Last year I did one module starting in October and two more the following February so I waited until I had registered and paid for all three before sending in my tax relief application.

The maximum amount of fees that qualify for relief is €5000 in any one year, so it doesn't matter how many courses you apply for onces it doesn't go over this limit. In reality with a 30 point course currently coming in at around €950 with the exchange rate, you are looking at being able to get relief on courses that are equivalent to 150 points.

The other thing is you can only apply for tax relief for a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science or a Professional Diploma in Management from the OU so I guess your courses will need to be linked to one of those qualifications. BA or BSc cover a large area anyway.

Advertisement