Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

500GB media player from iBood Argosy or Pixmania Storex ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was waiting for the Argosy for a while so I bought it last night when I saw it. I've never read a bad thing about it, besides it used to have a loud fan, but I think that's been resolved now.

Don't see as many features listed on the pixmania one, maybe they both have the same, maybe the argosy has more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I had a keops which is basically a rebranded Storex and it was very quiet. However it died on me yesterday. Well the USB/circuitry died, maybe the IDE cable got damaged. I'd had to open it once or twice as the power button kept getting stuck. I think the repeated opening and closing probably screwed something up.

I've just taken the HDD drrive out and am going to use it in a PC, no great loss.

I'd still recommend the unit, but the build quality is kinda poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

The GUI on the Argosy is pretty ugly but no worse than on any other unit. It has plenty of good features like NTFS support, component video out and an internal SATA connector, all of which are not common on other models in this price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

anyone know how much P&P is on iBood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I think P&P is around €15 but if you buy two you only pay for the postage of one.

Anyway, I have both of these units and I much prefer the Storex. It's much quieter (silent really) and has a better user interface. Plus if you want it in a rush, Pixmania are more reliable to get it out to you in a reasonable amount of time than IBOOD. My advice: go with Storex

• Advertisement

€12, It'll cost you €132 altogether.

Also, I recently found this one on eBay. Its costs a liitle bit more than the Argosy, but has alot more features ...

- One Touch Record and Time-shift input video from AV-in port
    - Upscale video quality to NTSC/PAL progressive scan, 720p, or 1080i
    - Ethernet port
    - 750 GB harddrive

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/750GB-LAN-Hard-Drive-Media-Player-Recorder-unit-1080i_W0QQitemZ330248100862QQihZ014QQcategoryZ16178QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Anyone got any opinions on which is better?

rgiller wrote: »
    I think P&P is around €15 but if you buy two you only pay for the postage of one.

Anyway, I have both of these units and I much prefer the Storex. It's much quieter (silent really) and has a better user interface. Plus if you want it in a rush, Pixmania are more reliable to get it out to you in a reasonable amount of time than IBOOD. My advice: go with Storex

I don't like reading things like that after I bought the Argosy last night :o

Is everything the same supported wise etc? What brand HD's do they use do you know? When did you get the Argosy yourself as I hear they've become quieter?

How much is shipping with Pixmania?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

P&P on iBood is €12.50 regardless of size, shape, colour of the item.

If you look at the Pixmania bundles, for a whole extra Euro you get a proper case for the Storex worth €39
    Look here

cian_r wrote: »
    Also, I recently found this one on eBay. Its costs a liitle bit more than the Argosy, but has alot more features ...

- One Touch Record and Time-shift input video from AV-in port
    - Upscale video quality to NTSC/PAL progressive scan, 720p, or 1080i
    - Ethernet port
    - 750 GB harddrive

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/750GB-LAN-Hard-Drive-Media-Player-Recorder-unit-1080i_W0QQitemZ330248100862QQihZ014QQcategoryZ16178QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Anyone got any opinions on which is better?

That'll end up costing you €205 approx, bit more expensive alright.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    That'll end up costing you €205 approx, bit more expensive alright.

True, but a lot more features, and 50% bigger hard drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

rgiller wrote: »

whats your experience of each player playing different codecs .. which one plays more different kinds

also are there regular firmware upgrades ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I got one of the Argosy units last time around, can't fault it at all, great piece of kit and well worth the money.

My only concern now is, if the remote packs in (which remotes in our house do sometimes, due to my two young lunatic kids) it will render the player useless, as there's no controls on the unit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

I bought an argosy as well last year.
    It stared whining the odd time, then the pc stopped recognising it.
    I just opened it up and now use the internal drive fine in my pc.
    I emailed ibood and got no reply, zilch.
    I'd be slightly wary of argosy and VERY wary of ibood.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 adrndmond

I also got this earlier this year off Ibood.
    Excellent device, haven't had a problem with it. No noticable sound while watching movies.
    Highly recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

I also got one of these earlier in the year and was wondering if others are able to turn it off completely using the remote or button at the back?
    The blue light never goes off for me until I plug it out which i really don't want to keep doing. I've tried holding the button and everything but to no avail. Is it even possible at all or is my unit faulty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

I also got one of these earlier in the year and was wondering if others are able to turn it off completely using the remote or button at the back?
    The blue light never goes off for me until I plug it out which i really don't want to keep doing. I've tried holding the button and everything but to no avail. Is it even possible at all or is my unit faulty?

It turns off. When you hold in the button, the blue light turns yellow while it is powering down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Yeah I just tried that but it's still not working. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Yeah, should power down (no lights) by holding the button in for a few seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭leuler

Was going to order the pixmania one, but found this on boards. Don't know if this is an isolated case.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055248584

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I bought this one about 6 months ago and have had no problems.
    A bit more expensive than the others listed here but it has wireless/network capability

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/882210/art/freecom/network-mediaplayer-450-w.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

To answer a few of the questions here:

1. I would absolutely recommend the Storex player. It's quiet, has a great user interface, has buttons on the player (incase the remote packs in) and has played any codec I've thrown at it.

2. Argosy is a great little device too, but it's much noisier. I usually have to pile cushions around it or throw it in the cabinet to shut it up. It also played any codecs I had. It should power off if you hold the button down for a few seconds.

If the Storex is €99 on Pixmania, as someone posted, I would definitely go for that. So much user friendly entertainment for so little money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

This might be worth a look for those who want to consider something that outputs and plays HD also

http://www.popcornhour.com

I have one and it's the dog's! Needs a wee bit of techy know how though

Another one on iBood today, has VGA out which I would have preferred to use:

http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=1&topic=23261

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Anybody come across something for less than 200 that has HDMI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

Onikage wrote: »
    The GUI on the Argosy is pretty ugly but no worse than on any other unit. It has plenty of good features like NTFS support, component video out and an internal SATA connector, all of which are not common on other models in this price range.

The Argosy gui is quite plain, but very functional and identical to the file system where you have all your multimedia files stored, what ever way you have them stored on your pc is the way you will see them on the argosy.The storex on the other hand tries to do too much with the user interface. The main window is divided into 3 seperate windows, and there is a preview window which is quite un-neccisary.If your files have names longer than 8 carachters you wont see the full names which is a pain in the arse when you have tv programmes stored with the episode season, number and name.

Don't suppose there's any way to get a visualisation plugin for the Argosy when playing MP3's? :)

Also, I'm using the argosy with a projector and the image is slightly cut off at the sides :(

cormie wrote: »
    Don't suppose there's any way to get a visualisation plugin for the Argosy when playing MP3's? :)

Also, I'm using the argosy with a projector and the image is slightly cut off at the sides :(

Did you try going into the setup and changing the aspect ratio? I have to say, I've been fiddling with the storex foar a few days now and that preview window is a major let-down, any body know how to get rid of it? I tried the Storex site but its crap, and emailed their customer service but no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Robertoni

kingaaa wrote: »
    Did you try going into the setup and changing the aspect ratio? I have to say, I've been fiddling with the storex foar a few days now and that preview window is a major let-down, any body know how to get rid of it? I tried the Storex site but its crap, and emailed their customer service but no reply.

I bought one of these also and was disappointed with the help on the web site. On the right side of the remote control above the volume is a button marked file, press this and it brings up the file list.

Hope this helps.

Robertoni wrote: »
    I bought one of these also and was disappointed with the help on the web site. On the right side of the remote control above the volume is a button marked file, press this and it brings up the file list.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I can do that but I cant see the full file names because the preview window gets in the way.

Advertisement