Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mistake with court summons?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 8:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Apologies if this is posted in wrong section.

I received a summons to appear in court but it states i never produced cert of insurance for car. The car has never been out of insurance and at the time i was asked to produce my drivers license to my local garda station, which i did the following day, but no mention of my insurance(which i stress was fine).
    Anybody ever had a similiar experience and what do i do?? Dont want to waste my time by taking a day off to go to court for THEIR mistake

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

boy_wonder wrote: »
    Apologies if this is posted in wrong section.

I received a summons to appear in court but it states i never produced cert of insurance for car. The car has never been out of insurance and at the time i was asked to produce my drivers license to my local garda station, which i did the following day, but no mention of my insurance(which i stress was fine).
    Anybody ever had a similiar experience and what do i do?? Dont want to waste my time by taking a day off to go to court for THEIR mistake

Thanks

AFAIK, License and Insurance within 10 days is the standard. The disk on the windscreen isnt enough to prove this, they need to see the cert.

First thing to do is call the station and ask for the garda that requested you to produce your licence, tell him you produced your licence but you didnt know that it was required to provide your cert, take the tone of least resistance, don't be confrontational with "you never told me" etc. Just offer to show him the cert, say you have and had insurance at the time.

Hopefully he can take care of it, if not then you just need to show up at the court and show the judge your insurance. Thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

It might be a good idea to get a proof that you produced your driving licence in the local station if it does go to court. Having this and your insurance cert will prove to the Judge you complied with all instructions you knew about and get him more to your side especially if your case is called later in the day and he is getting fed up with wishy washy excuses from the public and guards alike.

mikewest wrote: »
    It might be a good idea to get a proof that you produced your driving licence in the local station if it does go to court. Having this and your insurance cert will prove to the Judge you complied with all instructions you knew about and get him more to your side especially if your case is called later in the day and he is getting fed up with wishy washy excuses from the public and guards alike.

The proof is in the 'Black Book' in the station he produced his license at. Judge won't care as long as he had insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

Thanks for replies.

I have been in contact with garda station and insurance company so i have prrof car was insured and that i did produce my license the following day. I wasn't aware i needed to provide my insirance cert as he checked this on the car.
    They gave me the gards stations so next thing i have to do is call him so fingers crossed.

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

The garda in question is out on long term sick so i have to turn up to court on the day itself and produce my insurance cert and it will be struck out. Absolute joke if you ask me, he makes a mistake and i pay for it i.e day hols from work and cant book any holidays. Thats what we pay our taxes for guys!!

• Advertisement

The garda in question is out on long term sick so i have to turn up to court on the day itself and produce my insurance cert and it will be struck out. Absolute joke if you ask me, he makes a mistake and i pay for it i.e day hols from work and cant book any holidays. Thats what we pay our taxes for guys!!

Ha ! .. If hes out on Long term sick then there wont be an issue as it will be struck out when he doesnt show in court

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Count yourself lucky that you got the summons. I was in a similar situation, but never got the summons and got fined and banned in my absense as I knew nothing of the court appearance. Had to take several days of work to get it sorted! And there's not much more you can get from the garda who caused it all except an apology.

Advertisement