Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pump - 'revving' after toilet flush

Options
  • 03-07-2008 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in a top floor apartment, and we have a small water pump in our hot-press to keep the water pressure good - it's only a trickle without it.
    When I flushed the toliet this morning, it stayed on for a longer time that normal, then started to 'rev' - cutting on and off in rapid succession... This would last for around a minute or so.
    When turning on a tap or having a shower, it cuts off as normals once I turn off the tap / shower, so I think it's just the toilet?
    I lifted open the top of the toilet and I think it look ok??
    Any idea what might be the problem?

Thank you for any input

WM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in a top floor apartment, and we have a small water pump in our hot-press to keep the water pressure good - it's only a trickle without it.
    When I flushed the toliet this morning, it stayed on for a longer time that normal, then started to 'rev' - cutting on and off in rapid succession... This would last for around a minute or so.
    When turning on a tap or having a shower, it cuts off as normals once I turn off the tap / shower, so I think it's just the toilet?
    I lifted open the top of the toilet and I think it look ok??
    Any idea what might be the problem?

Thank you for any input

WM

The pump must work on a pressure switch that turns it on when the output pressure drops (when you turn on a tap etc), and off again when it returns to normal. In that case there could be several reasons for the hunting you describe:

1. There is a slow leakage of water from a tap or from the toilet cistern valve, the latter being to most likely and easiest to see -- simply lift the cistern cover and see if water is trickling from the valve.

2. The mains supply could have been interrupted for a while so that the pump had nothing to pump.

3. The mains have been opened for something like repairs, and air has entered the system. I would turn on a tap and leave it running for a while. If there is air in the system that will clear it.

4. The pressure switch is faulty. If the other tests above pass OK then I would suspect that. A plumber's providers should be able to match it for replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

ART6 - Thanks a million for your advice.
    Very much appreciated :)

WM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

No bother Whiskeyman. Hope it helps your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

you need to fit a torbeck ballcock to your cistern,the problem with the standard type ballcock is that that its operated by the float rising with the water level then shutting off but the float is prone to bob up and down on the water therefore bringing the pump on intermitently,
    a torbeck should cost you 20-25 euro and keep in mind if your present ballcock is feeding the cistern from the bottom or the top
    there not to hard to fit if your anyway diy confident

Advertisement