Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copying a tattoo? would you?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭

maybe im just being silly, but someone close to me is getting nearly the same tattoo as me, you would have to look hard to see the difference between mine and her design, its also going to be in the same place. Do i have a right to be as pissed off as i am about it , or am i just being childish:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Personally i'd be pretty pissed off too, especially if I had invested a lot of time and thought into the design, but there nothing you can really do to stop them from getting it I guess.

Slightly related story: My ex-girlfriend designed one of her own tattoo's then claims she went into the tattooist a while later for something else and it was up on the wall as flash. She was obviously raging (dont know if thats true or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Would never dream of it, in saying that no one tattoo is unique. Well very few anyway so there are bound to be similarities but would never willingly get the same tattoo as someone else.
    If I was to get a tattoo with say my brother that'd be different but the person you are describing seems to be just copying you.

You can take it 2 ways, be flattered that they think your ink is awesome... or be p!ssed that they're copying you and being un-original.

Maybe a chat with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I guess i'll clam down:p , thing that just bothering me is I spent ages thinking of what to get and where to get it , then she comes along on a whim with near the exact same thing and is getting it done on saturday, she'll probs end up hating it, cause she hasnt thought this through enough.
    Ive had a chat with her, but she's not listening. Then like c-13 said i cant stop her.

I could :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Definitely wouldn't copy someone elses design. Would you not tell your friend how you feel?

• Advertisement

Wilburt wrote: »
    I could :D

/Pictures Wilburt diving through the front window of the Tattoo place on Saturday screaming "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" ... all in slow motion of course

:pac:

Khannie wrote: »
    Definitely wouldn't copy someone elses design. Would you not tell your friend how you feel?

Told her, she isnt listening, she cant understand why its bothering me., to quote her "it only a tattoo after all, grrr", some people eh!

c - 13 wrote: »
    /Pictures Wilburt diving through the front window of the Tattoo place on Saturday screaming "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" ... all in slow motion of course

:pac:

Hahaha slow motion rocks!

emo!! wrote: »
    Told her, she isnt listening, she cant understand why its bothering me., to quote her "it only a tattoo after all, grrr", some people eh!

Uh oh. I have bad news: Your friend is an ass. :(

Suggestion: Wear the same clothes as her for a week. See how she feels then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I had been previously talking about getting an ambigram done on my inner arm, and one person that I mentioned it to went and got it done, exactly the words that I'd wanted, in the place that I wanted it done, but said it was alright because mine would be in a different font...

I dropped the idea immediately.

>_<

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

You should be pissed. My house mate does that with me all the time, usually with clothes but then last year he bought the same car as me, It's annoying and makes us both look like idiots.

I was planning my tattoo for over two years when I decided where I was going to get it he started talking about getting one in the same place. This was really pissing me off as my tatt was so personal.

I let him know I wasn't happy and he didnt get a tatt done [ he never even spoke about it until i got mine]

But I wouldn't be surprised to see him inked in the future..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I had been previously talking about getting an ambigram done on my inner arm, and one person that I mentioned it to went and got it done, exactly the words that I'd wanted, in the place that I wanted it done, but said it was alright because mine would be in a different font...

I dropped the idea immediately.

>_<

What an asshole I would be disgusted if somebody stole my idea.. But what idiot would? To me a tatt is a personal thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Wait till she gets it done and tell her youve changed your mind are are getting something diggerent.See what she says then.I know what you mean tattoos are very personal and it would piss me off no end.Have you thought about getting it done slightly different and maybe in a different place.I think she needs to know why you are getting it done [even make something up] and ask her the reason behind her tattoo.But you know in future not to tell her and just get it done.

marti101 wrote: »
    Wait till she gets it done and tell her youve changed your mind are are getting something diggerent.See what she says then.I know what you mean tattoos are very personal and it would piss me off no end.Have you thought about getting it done slightly different and maybe in a different place.I think she needs to know why you are getting it done [even make something up] and ask her the reason behind her tattoo.But you know in future not to tell her and just get it done.

I have some of it done already, there just stars atm, but there very personal to me and eachone stands for someone i lost(insert people rolling eyes here:p) , im going in friday- ahhh tomorrow! to get the rest done, this is a bigger deal cause it going to be quite big and took me ages to get the design and meaning right.
    I told her this, and like i said in a previous post she said "its only a tattoo after all".
    Im giving up trying to presude her not to , cause im just talking to a wall!! I know she'll end up hating it , cause there isnt any thought put into it - on her part, and shes the kind of girl who gets fed up with things quite easily.

I just wanted to see, what other people thought about it, im guess my feeling about it are quite okay so!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Lay it out for her and tell her that if she does this then it's completely disrespecting you and what this tattoo means to you, and that if she was any kind of a friend then she'd understand why it's just wrong to poach your idea/design.

either that or smack her upside the head old school style, nothing like a bit of street justice

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I definitely would not be impressed by that! Whatever about taking inspiration from a randomers idea, she is blatently stealing your tattoo. I think you need to make it a bit clearer that you're not happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I have a fairly unique tatt that I heard someone copied a while back (I only met the guy once, who apparently thought my tatt was the doggies, and went and got the exact same thing). I thought it was pretty sad when I heard about it.
    Suggestion: Wear the same clothes as her for a week. See how she feels then.

I heartily support this plan. Preferably get the same hairstyle as well, then learn to imitate her voice and mannerisms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

if it was me id be fairly pissed off,tattoos are part of you forever its not right if someone you know personally tries to steal your look

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

anyone else thinking of the start of the crimp episode of the boosh right now?

but yeah, OP, i definitely agree with peeps on this, it's not ok for someone to steal your ink... it's not like you just picked it off some flash card, it's yours, designed by you, for you, definitely need to sit her down and make her see how serious this is for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Is there anything she has that nobody else has if so try and copy it and see how she likes it.Ask her what the meaning behind the tattoo is and then explain very slow to her as she seems to be a bit stupid that your getting the tattoo as a kind of remembrence to the people youve loved and lost and then turn on the waterworks and see if it works.If it doesnt shes not much of a friend cut your losses and tell people shes a stalkeer aand a bit psycho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 vathar

Well, considering that I have an artwork from boris Vallejo on my calf, I don't expect it to be unique. Same goes for common symbols and widespread flashes; but copying a tatto from a friend, knowing that it has a real meaning tohim and a story behind sounds so lame and disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Approach the artist who's going to be doing the work, ask him/her to talk to your friend?
    Maybe it's a drastic meaure, but she's clearly out of line there.

I wonder if anyone has ever gone to court over copyright infringement with tattoos.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

i definitely agree with peeps on this, it's not ok for someone to steal your ink... it's not like you just picked it off some flash card, it's yours, designed by you, for you, definitely need to sit her down and make her see how serious this is for you.

Exactly, if was something off the flash then you couldn't really expect for other people not to have the same one, that said if I picked something off flash and then one of my friends went out and got the exact same one, I'd be pissed.
    larryone wrote: »
    Approach the artist who's going to be doing the work, ask him/her to talk to your friend?
    Maybe it's a drastic meaure, but she's clearly out of line there.

Good idea, is your friend going to the same place that you are? If so your artist will probably understand your feelings, although there may not be anything he can say to change her mind.
    I wonder if anyone has ever gone to court over copyright infringement with tattoos.

Interesting concept. Surely since you designed your tattoo, you'd 'own' the design. AFAIK, if a tattoo artist wants to use your design in their flash they have to ask you. I know I designed one for my BF, and when I went in with him to get it done, the owner asked could he use my design in the flash, but I said I'd prefer if he didn't cos I knew by BF wouldn't have wanted ppl walking around with the same tatt, also it was one I'd designed for him specially. The guy said that was ok, and assured me he wouldn't put up the design.

Tell your friend that if she uses your design you'll take her to court, or else demand that she pay you for reproducing your work. If she's as thick as she sounds, she'll probably believe that you'd do it, and maybe change her mind about the tattoo.

I totally understand why you're pissed off BTW, if it was me I'd be livid! A swift kick up the ar$e for her might not go amiss. :mad:

larryone wrote: »

I know for sure that Disney threatened to sue a guy before who kept getting Disney characters tattood on himself.

I know for sure that Disney threatened to sue a guy before who kept getting Disney characters tattood on himself.

I've read about this guy, seemingly he can now get them inked on himself but only by one specific tattoo artist. Really messed up story

Wilburt wrote: »
    I've read about this guy, seemingly he can now get them inked on himself but only by one specific tattoo artist. Really messed up story

Another public relations success by a major corporation. :pac:

Just did a google there. He has his own website.....disneytattooguy.com :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

It's possible the tattoo artist in question might refuse to do the tattoo if he/she knows that it's such blatant copying of your idea/design.

Thanks for the responses guy, at least i know im not being childish, I know there only stars and design around them , so i know that its a fairly common tattoo ie the stars part anyways, but its the size the placement and the meaning that particular amount of stars has to me ,that is the problem.

i spoke to her last night, and i told her about the background of it , and why i am pissed off, but no she is getting it done tomorrow, i told her i wont fall out with her over it , but shes lost the respect i had for her. Funny cause it i seen a stranger with the same it wouldnt bother me, its just the fact that she is close to me and copying me ,and she knows it.

deep breath , rant over !!

emo!! wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses guy, at least i know im not being childish, I know there only stars and design around them , so i know that its a fairly common tattoo ie the stars part anyways, but its the size the placement and the meaning that particular amount of stars has to me ,that is the problem.

i spoke to her last night, and i told her about the background of it , and why i am pissed off, but no she is getting it done tomorrow, i told her i wont fall out with her over it , but shes lost the respect i had for her. Funny cause it i seen a stranger with the same it wouldnt bother me, its just the fact that she is close to me and copying me ,and she knows it.

deep breath , rant over !!

Fair play for staying calm about it anyway.

Theres two types of people that get tattoos. One is the people who see them as a form of expressive art (i.e. - Most people on this board) and those who see them as "Fashion" (Your friend).

Shame you couldnt get her to see sense over it. If its any consolation to you she's probably going to decide in a few weeks that she doesnt like it any more anyway and either get it covered, lasered or be stuck with a design she hates. Whereas yours will always mean something to you !

• Advertisement

c - 13 wrote: »
    Fair play for staying calm about it anyway.

If its any consolation to you she's probably going to decide in a few weeks that she doesnt like it any more anyway and either get it covered, lasered or be stuck with a design she hates. Whereas yours will always mean something to you !

couldnt put it better myself, cause this is what is going to happen! i'll still love mine anyways , so i guess thats all that should matter to me in the end of the day:P

Advertisement