Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car broke down Dublin City Centre - Clamped??

Options
  • 03-07-2008 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Car broke down on me this morning on the way to work.
    She's now parked up in and around the Dame Street area....illegally.

I was wondering if there was anything I can do to lessen the chance of getting clamped?

As I was trying to get her going again two guards had pulled over a motorist.
    I asked one of them what's the best thing I can do and he said apart from getting it towed to put a note in the window saying broken down.

He gave me a hand pushing it to a more suitable spot.....still parked illegally though. It's in no way blocking traffic or an obstruction (side road)

Ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

hmm i suppose the gardi is correct, but knowing the clampers, once its no blocking peds or traffic with a note saying broken down or needs to be lifted by AA or whatever means of transportation.... they should be cool about it, if all else fails, your following gardi instruction ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I'm relying on the bro now to help me tow it. Not looking forward to that experience. (about 6miles out of town)

Can anyone suggest a towing company?

I can see this costing a few €€€€ :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Join the AA, get the tow for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Most of the insurers have some kind of breakdown assistance now I think. Check your policy to see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I wouldn't be so hopeful of clampers "going easy" on anyone myself to be honest :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I had a car die on Thomas St. - massive engine failure.

Driver was smart and got two wheels on the kerb, so not blocking the path much and as far out of the flow of traffic as possible.

It got lifted by the clampers and brought around the corner before being clamped - before we could get a tow truck to it.

Even after producing towing invoices and a garage invoice for €thousands as proof of engine failure we couldn't get the clamping charge refunded.

No discretion involved at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

Maybe the clampers will lift it and drop it to your house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

If you don't want to tow it the 6 miles, just tow it to the nearest safe legal spot for now. Join the AA today, then call them tomorrow to do the tow. (their terms say you have to wait 24hrs from joining to be eligible for rescue)

KerranJast wrote:
    Most of the insurers have some kind of breakdown assistance now I think. Check your policy to see what the story is.

Jesus, didn't even think of that. Gonna ring Quinn now. Thanks.

Happy days. Got the car collected and delivered home.....and she was not clamped either....phew!! Rain must have kept them away.

• Advertisement

Did you have breakdown cover with your insurance so? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I rang quin for a breakdown service once. I rang the main no. & there was a recording telling me to ring another no. I rang the second number and was put straght back on to the recording giving the number...

Needless to say, I am no longer with quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

testicle wrote: »
    Join the AA, get the tow for free.
    €150 odd a year isn't free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Do'nt use a rope. Its illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

And don't make is apparent that it's broken down! The locals will have parts stripped off it in a matter of minutes!

cormie wrote:
    Did you have breakdown cover with your insurance so? :)

I did indeed. Amazing.....last thing I even considered was ringing Quinn.
    Still can't believe it wasn't clamped. Maybe the rain helped for once.
    Bluefoam wrote:
    I rang quin for a breakdown service once. I rang the main no. & there was a recording telling me to ring another no. I rang the second number and was put straght back on to the recording giving the number...

Needless to say, I am no longer with quinn.

I found Quinn & the breakdown company to be very friendly and efficient in my case. Within 15min had the car arranged for collection. 45min later and it's on the back of a flatbed on the way home.

I'm gonna burn the car tomorrow :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Good result Edge!

I believe the insurance companies thinking is that its cheaper to tow it than replace it because it got stolen / burned, hence the free breakdown cover.

JHMEG wrote: »
    €150 odd a year isn't free.
    It's a rip off, if you call them out more than 4 times (maybe 6, can't remember) you have to pay for each callout as well.

stevec wrote: »

It's a rip off, if you call them out more than 4 times (maybe 6, can't remember) you have to pay for each callout as well.

You sure about that? I think it just means you lose your "no call out" discount or sumthin for the next premium?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

"no call out discount" , jesus that sounds like its going in a direction I seriously wouldnt like :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

cormie wrote: »
    You sure about that? I think it just means you lose your "no call out" discount or sumthin for the next premium?

Yeah, just looked it up in their TOC's

https://secure.aaireland.ie/personal-membership/site/terms-conditions.asp?popupwindow
    AA Fair Play Policy
    34. Fair Play is designed to keep membership affordable by making sure that high use by members is avoided. We have therefore placed limits on the number of call-outs that can be made by any one member in a subscription year.
    We will monitor call-outs on an individual basis to ensure fairness is applied at all times. Under this policy, we endeavour to keep all our members informed of their call-out usage. We will write to you and inform you of your usage before the contribution procedure is implemented thus allowing you the opportunity to take the necessary action.
    Each level of AA membership is subject to a call-out limit in a membership year. Personal members will be entitled to a maximum of six call-outs in a subscription year. If you have subscribed to Rescue Plus, up to three of these call-outs may include Rescue Plus benefits. If your subscription includes associate member(s), you and your associates are entitled to a combined maximum total of 7 call-outs.
    If the relevant permitted call-outs are exceeded, the AA may require the payment of an additional contribution to the subscription in such amount as may be determined by the AA before undertaking any additional call-outs.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I suppose that means you do have to "pay" since they wont send anyone out again until you pay an "additional contribution".

I signed up to AA because FBD didn't have breakdown assist, then I changed to Hibernian, who do, so now I've double breakdown assist. I only had to use it once, and that was the AA, to start a car that wasn't even mine :rolleyes:

That's the only good thing about them - they cover the person not the vehicle.

Family is covered too for an extra few bob a month.
    You can extend the benefits of your AA Cover for up to three other members of your family living in the same household as you the member.
    This may include one other adult and/or your dependents under 25 years of age.

Had a mate of mine pretend he was someone else to avail of this.
    Got him out of a jam at the time (keys inside car)

"Hi my name is Mr. Shurnub..... and I come from a far, far place.... yes that will do." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

cormie wrote: »

I signed up to AA because FBD didn't have breakdown assist, then I changed to Hibernian, who do, so now I've double breakdown assist. I only had to use it once, and that was the AA, to start a car that wasn't even mine :rolleyes:

ive free breakdown assistance with FBD.. cancelled my AA but got good enough usage from them whilst i had had them , a nice trip from carlow to roscommon courtesy of the AA

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

I don't think the AA are too strict with their 'fair use' policy, not with classic cars anyway :D

On the other hand I've found that crowd up North used by First Ireland, 'Motorists insurances Services' I think they're called to be very agressive if you admit to ever having called them before. It's the first thing they ask on the phone. So just say no ;)

Check the small print as the insurance rescue may only be to nearest garage.
    AA will take you onward to your destination or back home or garage you your choosing (within reason)

Advertisement