Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet to launch 50Mbps

Options
  • 03-07-2008 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭

Just spotted this on enn.ie
    enn.ie wrote:
    Magnet Entertainment is launching an ultra-fast 50Mbps broadband service for residential customers in Ireland. "[...] With this kind of speed, a standard high-definition movie can now be downloaded in 4 seconds," said Mark Kellett, CEO of Magnet Networks. The new service will be available from mid-July as an upgrade to Magnet's current platinum 'triple play' offering for an additional EUR20 per month. A 24Mbps deal will also be available for an extra EUR12 per month. Kellett made the announcement at a conference in Dublin on Wednesday entitled 'The Real Broadband Alternatives', where the CEOs of Magnet, Digiweb and UPC concluded that real broadband competition was critical in order to give more choice, access and value to consumers in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭abraxas01

From what I hear, the 50Mb service is only available to about 5 people!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is yet another hole in Eircom's coffin in Dublin and other large towns and citys were cable or LLU companys operate.

Sure very few will get 50Mbps but they'll get perhaps 15, 20, 30 or something else which will still likely be faster then anything eircom will offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lol 50 megs
    any idea on pricing , i no i prolly cant get it anyways but it would be insane!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

No I think he meant only 5 people will get it because there are only a small number of housing estates and new apartments that have magnet's fibre to the home. I think they stopped their residential LLU and FTTH rollout last year and focused on the business market instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

s1ck :mad::mad:

looks like im stuck with eircom for eternity!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

rc28 wrote: »
    No I think he meant only 5 people will get it because there are only a small number of housing estates and new apartments that have magnet's fibre to the home. I think they stopped their residential LLU and FTTH rollout last year and focused on the business market instead

I thought they were still doing FTTH but had stopped rolling out LLU (until the market clears up).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sure very few will get 50Mbps but they'll get perhaps 15, 20, 30 or something else which will still likely be faster then anything eircom will offer.

Why not? Its fibre they are talking about im sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

nuxxx wrote: »
    lol 50 megs
    any idea on pricing , i no i prolly cant get it anyways but it would be insane!:p

Irish Pricing -

Bronze package - 20 hours at 50MG (Not guaranteed) only 199Euro
    Silver package - 35 hours at 50MG (Not Guaranteed) only 289Euro
    Gold Package - Unlimited Access (*subject to downtime) only 450Euro Per month**

** subject to 350euro installation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

With this kind of speed, a standard high-definition movie can now be downloaded in 4 seconds

I wonder how his marketing team defines "standard" and "high-definition" and "movie"....

iRock wrote: »
    Irish Pricing -

Hmmm, even if available, I don't think I'd go for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The max I can get with a FTTH enabled apartment is 8Mb @ 58pm. Compared to UPC with 10Mb for 36pm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Irish Pricing -

I think these are Business Broadband prices.

From Magnet Entertainment's website (www.magnetentertainment.ie)

MAGNET ENTERTAINMENT PLATINUM
    56 Digital TV and Radio Channels
    8 meg Unlimited Broadband*
    Free landline connection
    €73 per month

I would therefore say that for the 50Mbps you would pay €93 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I think these are Business Broadband prices.

From Magnet Entertainment's website (www.magnetentertainment.ie)

MAGNET ENTERTAINMENT PLATINUM
    56 Digital TV and Radio Channels
    8 meg Unlimited Broadband*
    Free landline connection
    €73 per month

I would therefore say that for the 50Mbps you would pay €93 pm

Sorry guys... I should have been more specific... that was my shot at being sarcastic ... i.e. "Typical Irish Pricing"

I suppose I've just been proven right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bored888

Would be handy but let's be honest, for multiple downloads yeah.. sure would be beneficial for say bit torrent.

Apart from that? most servers couldn't upload as fast as you want to download.

Sorry guys... I should have been more specific... that was my shot at being sarcastic ... i.e. "Typical Irish Pricing"

I suppose I've just been proven right!

The sad thing is, you have "Unlimited (Subject to downtime)" which wreaks of sarcasm but the way things are priced here, you can never tell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I wonder how his marketing team defines "standard" and "high-definition" and "movie"....
    LOL! Was thinking the same myself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I will say that it will only be available to FTTH customer (like myself!!! :))

Fiber can sustain speed much higher than 50. You can easily get 100 mb but speeds can go up to 1gb, but only for customers on FTTH.

Is not official yet though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I don't see this on ENN?
    Magnet Entertainment is launching an ultra-fast 50Mbps broadband service for residential customers in Ireland. "[...] With this kind of speed, a standard high-definition movie can now be downloaded in 4 seconds," said Mark Kellett, CEO of Magnet Networks. The new service will be available from mid-July as an upgrade to Magnet's current platinum 'triple play' offering for an additional EUR20 per month. A 24Mbps deal will also be available for an extra EUR12 per month. Kellett made the announcement at a conference in Dublin on Wednesday entitled 'The Real Broadband Alternatives', where the CEOs of Magnet, Digiweb and UPC concluded that real broadband competition was critical in order to give more choice, access and value to consumers in Ireland.
    Don't think thats right anyway, would take plenty longer to download even a non hd movie.

I don't see this on ENN?

It's in today or yesterdays roundup.

Don't think thats right anyway, would take plenty longer to download even a non hd movie.

This is why someone asked for what their definition of these things are. :D

paulm17781 wrote: »
    It's in today or yesterdays roundup.

This is why someone asked for what their definition of these things are. :D

Ah yea just seen it there now. Very good news altogether.
    Hopefully they will get going with roll out and at least get some more of Dublin covered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I dont think this will have much of an impact, it will only be available to a few housing developments and apartment buildings in Dublin, and in areas where there is already loads of competition already like UPC, Smart etc. Once again the majority of the country gets shafted with no competion other than Eircom and their resellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

With this kind of speed, a standard high-definition movie can now be downloaded in 4 seconds

Must be a very short movie! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Very short indeed... still though, at that speed you'd be getting a 4.5 gig file in 12-15 minutes. Takes over four hours on my 3mb connection.

I wouldn't complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Why bother posting this when its only available (from what i can see) in about 20 housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

kmick wrote: »
    Why bother posting this when its only available (from what i can see) in about 20 housing estates.

i have ftth with magnet.

loving this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Presume he meant 4 mins, the maths work out on that..... ~1.4gb.
    Whatever you download in 4 Seconds would only be HD on your watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Col_Loki wrote: »
    Presume he meant 4 mins, the maths work out on that..... ~1.4gb.

i hope they are talking about streaming HD.
    ie introducing HD boxes streamed over FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Col_Loki wrote: »

I do have a HD watch so it would be perfect for me! :D

watch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Phlann wrote: »
    Very short indeed... still though, at that speed you'd be getting a 4.5 gig file in 12-15 minutes. Takes over four hours on my 3mb connection.

I wouldn't complain!

A Real MPEG4 AVC 1920 x1080i movie is about 12Gbytes. Double it to 24Gbytes for progressive.

With error correction rather than UDP, it would be roughly 1.30min to download a 2hr 15min full HD in progressive format on 50Mbps.

Add more if you have 5.1 sound in RAW format etc,

• Advertisement

kmick wrote: »

Even though the geographic area they provide in is quite small its well populated so there would be quite a few people here who could avail of it.

Advertisement