Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet to launch 50Mbps

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

watty wrote: »
    A Real MPEG4 AVC 1920 x1080i movie is about 12Gbytes. Double it to 24Gbytes for progressive.

With error correction rather than UDP, it would be roughly 1.30min to download a 2hr 15min full HD in progressive format on 50Mbps.

Add more if you have 5.1 sound in RAW format etc,

My tv doesn't support full HD so I generally get the 720p encodes, usually clock in at between 4 and 8 gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Even though they advertise these speeds, they don't actually deliver them, best I could get was 8Mb.

Strange sales technique

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

watty wrote: »
    A Real MPEG4 AVC 1920 x1080i movie is about 12Gbytes. Double it to 24Gbytes for progressive.

With error correction rather than UDP, it would be roughly 1.30min to download a 2hr 15min full HD in progressive format on 50Mbps.

Add more if you have 5.1 sound in RAW format etc,

What!!

How would it take 90 seconds to download a 24gb movie on a 50mb connection?

You would be getting max 6.25mb per second download speed from 50mb.

At that speed your looking at over an hour to download 24gb.

You must be thinking about a 2gb connection :p

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I do have a HD watch so it would be perfect for me! :D

watch.jpg

good old circulation cut off there!

what does it matter if its 50mbs download? theres probably going to be one other place in the world where you can download something and utilise those speeds... otherwise its pointless. sure, handy in the future, when people have stopped using 36kbs modems! the sad fact is that any structure is only as strong as its weakest point, the internet is no different.

sure, you may get a bit of a speed increase, sometimes. the only good point to this is TORRENTS, UPLOADING SPEED, AND SEVERE BANDWIDTH. thats good, but definitely not worth the price.

one line of that could probably run 25 machines pretty good though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    What!!

How would it take 90 seconds to download a 24gb movie on a 50mb connection?

I assume he meant 1hr 30min

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

good old circulation cut off there!

what does it matter if its 50mbs download? theres probably going to be one other place in the world where you can download something and utilise those speeds... otherwise its pointless. sure, handy in the future, when people have stopped using 36kbs modems! the sad fact is that any structure is only as strong as its weakest point, the internet is no different.

sure, you may get a bit of a speed increase, sometimes. the only good point to this is TORRENTS, UPLOADING SPEED, AND SEVERE BANDWIDTH. thats good, but definitely not worth the price.

one line of that could probably run 25 machines pretty good though.

When those 50mb kick in it will be 50 mb down and 50 mb up...

I agree that bandwidth is not everything, at the moment I have an 8/8 mb magnet ftth connection and I also use a 24/1 mb ADSL2+ connection with a different provider, both 1:1 contention and although that ADSL2+ has interleaved turned off and i get downloads of 2.6 mBps it doesnt give me the same feeling or response as the magnet one.

Everything happens in a milisecond, there are no timeouts, no pauses, no lag, so based on that I can say the old copper wire cannot compete with fiber (obviously) so if an 8/8 mb connection can make me feel better than a 24/1 mb connection I can't imagine how a 50/50 mb connection will make me feel!!

And that kind of bandwidth will be enought to provide HDTV although I dont think Magnet will win the DTT trial....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I for one couldnt see Magnet offering residential customers full symmetrical speeds at competetive prices.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Magnet is offering symetric broadband at 2,4 and 8 meg in all fibre areas, the price for 8 meg symetric is €58....now surely that is a competitive price.

Advertisement