Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer seems to be dead...

Options
  • 03-07-2008 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

I got more RAM for my PC yesterday, and when I was installing it I noticed that there was an awful lot of dust in my PC box. The PC has been crashing a bit of late, so I thought I'd best clear the dust out.

There was a lot of dust on the processor fan, so when I went to remove it to clean it -the processor came out with it! I cleaned all the dust away anyway, and reinstalled the processor, but I must have pushed down too hard as I bent a couple of the pins. So I straightened the pins up again and put everything back together.

But now when I switch the machine on, my monitor stays in powersave mode. It doesn't seem to be 'seeing' the PC at all.

What do ye think? Have I damaged the processor, or could this be something else? Is it time to get a new PC?!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Solved this anyway. Turned out I needed to remove the processor from the heat sink, clean off the old thermal paste, re-attach the processor to the motherboard, apply new thermal grease, put back on the heat sink and away it went! :pac:

Advertisement