Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20 Year old Irish man,shot dead by US police

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

oh great marie carthy from abbeylara is on now

Why hasnt she flown out to the states to get answers rather than tTALKING about it in radio 1.

Now people are giving her money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bunker85

U.S. gun culture is world famous. The police over there never know when they stop someone if they are armed or not. Is it any wonder that the U.S. police tend to shoot first. They take no chances. Until the Law makers of the US ban the owning of personal weapons and change that culture, it's always gonna happen. And as a former member of the Irish Military, I know you don't shoot to wound, you shoot to kill, or render your oponent ineffective. But also you use the required amount of force required, so if your oponoent is unarmed you do not shoot to kill. If your oponent is running away you do not shoot to kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

DadaKopf wrote: »
    Yeah, feck sake. The kneejerkism in this thread is insane.

What we know:
    • An Irish man has been shot dead
    • A police officer shot him
    • There was an allegation of a robbery
    • It happened in Silverton, Orgeon

What we don't know
    • Anything about Hanlon or his mental state
    • What he was doing
    • What provocation led to the shooting
    • Firearm policy and training of the Oregonian police service

We know nothing, yet so many people will jump to conclusions based on teary-eyed feelings of nationalism and anti-Americanism. Oh, no, a son of mother Ireland could never do anything wrong, it must be those nasty, gun totin' Americans. Total Irish exceptionalist narccissism.
    You can add also add to the fact that Andrew Hanlon was an Illegal Alien which would automatically make him a defendant in Big Brother America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bunker85

U.S. gun culture is world famous. The police over there never know when they stop someone if they are armed or not. Is it any wonder that the U.S. police tend to shoot first. They take no chances. Until the Law makers of the US ban the owning of personal weapons and change that culture, it's always gonna happen. And as a former member of the Irish Military, I know you don't shoot to wound, you shoot to kill, or render your oponent ineffective. But also you use the required amount of force required, so if your oponoent is unarmed you do not shoot to kill. If your oponent is running away you do not shoot to kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Another reason they aim for the vital organs area is because a bullet is unlikely to pass through that part of a persons body and go on to injure someone else. If you start aiming for people's legs and arms you will have missed shots going off and hitting God knows what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

That interview on Liveline was radio at it's worst. The mother just seems to be out make as much money as she can out of her son's death, going on about how her main worry was being able to afford to get to America, then the pledges start rolling in. I can see her going on a big crusade all over America like Robert McCartney's sisters :rolleyes: She said she hadn't spoken to him for a couple of months, hardly sounds like a loving mother. His sister said on the radio this morning that she tried sending him home to get psychiatric care in Ireland, but there was no one to bring him from the airport to a hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It's terrible that he was shot dead, but the whole story sounds verrry fishy tbh. I don't trust any of the U.S officials to get to the bottom of it however, so expect nothing to come of this other than a whinging mother and a seemingly genuine upset sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think its sad for the family. The person who was shot had psychological problems and was recieving treatment, he was shot by a police officer answering a burglary call. Considering the above and the fact that it was the first shooting in that town in 20 years I can't think of any reason not to believe the police acted per their standard procedure at this point.

It seems to me that some people are intent on blaming the police regardless - if it had been their home being broken into by a strange man I wonder would they have felt the same. This nonsense about 'not visiting america' due to its gun culture is just silly. Hopefully the review will get to the bottom of it and if there was an over-reaction or a mistake I am sure the police officer will be hung out to dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jennieinthe08

I knew AJ and all of us will really miss him. He was really excited to go to America and couldnt wait to go. I really think ot was wrong place wrong time because knowing him he didn't have a bad bone in his body. I'd love to know why such force was used because I really can't imagine him doing anything to provoke being shot dead. He was DEFINATELY not the type to carry a weapon. I hope he's at peace and they get to the bottom of this to prevent it happening again.
    xxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

FruitLover wrote: »

I doubt it. Trying to look like a hard man on the internet is really sad.

What, and you'd feel safe walking around at night knowing there's a 18 year old garda with an itchy trigger finger keeping the place safe...

get out of that garden, the majority of garda are good people but there's a few thugs in there that I would not feel safe around if I knew they were armed....

Police should not be armed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I knew AJ and all of us will really miss him. He was really excited to go to America and couldnt wait to go. I really think ot was wrong place wrong time because knowing him he didn't have a bad bone in his body. I'd love to know why such force was used because I really can't imagine him doing anything to provoke being shot dead. He was DEFINATELY not the type to carry a weapon. I hope he's at peace and they get to the bottom of this to prevent it happening again.
    xxxx

My condolences.

I hope the truth is found and justice, if appropriate, is served.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What, and you'd feel safe walking around at night knowing there's a 18 year old garda with an itchy trigger finger keeping the place safe...

get out of that garden, the majority of garda are good people but there's a few thugs in there that I would not feel safe around if I knew they were armed....

Nobody said the Gardai were going to be armed. What the hell are you going on about??? The US is riddled with guns and nutters. The combination of the two makes it a necessity for cops to be armed. It's not like criminals refuse to shoot the unarmed.

dont worry about it drunk monkey just has a problem with the Gardai

Another one added to my ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That's why i've never visited or intend on visiting America....

Cops are shooting civillans everyday, I think the cops in this case as making out that he could have been escaping from a burgulary (which is utter rubbish).
    Even if he was that's no reason to shoot a man dead...

Shame on America...

My heart goes out to his family and friends, this is a very sad case...

I'm sorry but this post beggars belief! You have no idea what happened so cannot make any kind of informed judgement on the situation. I've been to the States a good few thimes. I don't love the place like some people do, but its far from the rampantly violent place you;re making it out to be.

As for the story, there's a few things about it that are a bit odd. First there's the psychiatric help thing and second is the fact that they haven't had a deadly shooting in 20 years there. It would suggest to me that maybe the guy had an episode at the wrong time and in the wrong place? I would be reluctant to lay all of the blame at the police officers feet as more often than not the police are decent people trying to do their job. I'd say the officer involved is devastated over whats happened. It will be interesting to see over the next while what actually happened.

My condolences go out to this guys family...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

What the police are not saying speaks loudest to me.
    1. They didn't say he was a suspect in the burglary.
    2. They didn't say he was running from the scene of the crime.
    3. They didn't say he was armed in any way.

If any of these had been the case the Police Dept. would have said so, because it would make them look better. "responding to a burglary" is typical police speak. It plants the suspicion of guilt in the publics mind. It's like when they say they're taking PCs to examine them for illegal images. People immediately think paedo and allow the police leeway, but really it means nothing, it doesn't even mean they even suspect such a thing.

At this stage though anything could've happened. I'm sure we'll get to hear a more complete story in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Deadeyes wrote: »

If any of these had been the case the Police Dept. would have said so, because it would make them look better. "responding to a burglary" is typical police speak. It plants the suspicion of guilt in the publics mind. It's like when they say they're taking PCs to examine them for illegal images. People immediately think paedo and allow the police leeway, but really it means nothing, it doesn't even mean they even suspect such a thing.

At this stage though anything could've happened. I'm sure we'll get to hear a more complete story in time.

It would be unusual in a high profile case like this for them to make any comment while the investigation is going on. The last thing they want to do is give the media an opinion of what happened that turned out to be false as one something is reported, its very hard to take back. People will tend to believe the first story rather than the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I really don't get the logic behind this. They didn't say a lot of things about it because it only happened a couple of days ago. They've to investigate what happened in case they go off an tell everyone the wrong information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They rarely say any of these things until the police investigation is complete.

You're getting confused by the difference between media speculation and police statements. Usually the media will interview eyewitnesses who say things like, "He had a gun" or "he ran from the cops".

The police on the other hand say things like, "We were responding to an armed robbery call", or, "We were fired upon by an individual". They're very careful about not placing blame or saying misleading things so close to the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

yayamark wrote: »

Another one added to my ignore list.

Damn good plan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

yayamark wrote: »

i've no problem with the Gardai, I think there good guys and i like the way they handle things, what i've a problem with is armed Police, In America it's a way of life but we should never allow it to creep into our society, I'd love to go to America but not with there gun laws the way they are, I wouldn't feel safe without a colt 45 and that's not a position I want to put myself in..

America really need to tackle it's gun culture head on, Let's hope Obama & Hilary have the balls between them to say enough is enough and come down like a hot sledge on the NRA...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

seamus wrote: »
    They rarely say any of these things until the police investigation is complete.

You're getting confused by the difference between media speculation and police statements. Usually the media will interview eyewitnesses who say things like, "He had a gun" or "he ran from the cops".

The police on the other hand say things like, "We were responding to an armed robbery call", or, "We were fired upon by an individual". They're very careful about not placing blame or saying misleading things so close to the incident.

Yes, but how often do stories leak to the press? If the police were getting a rough ride in the press and they knew something that would suggest otherwise, it wouldn't be strange for a respected/trusted journo to be told something by someone in the know to be published but without attributing it to the source.
    Not saying that's why there's been no clarification here yet, the fact the local paper didn't deem it that big a story earlier on in the thread suggests its not a huge incident, but the lack of details and the fact the man was (presumably) unarmed do raise a lot of questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I'd love to go to America but not with there gun laws the way they are

so quit being a bitch and go im in maine at the moment (apparently a fairly pro gun place) and i feel way safer here then i do in dublin stay out of dodgy areas just like you wouldnt go to moyross if you were in limerick. its not rocket science its common sense

also an unarmed police force is a luxury i hope we never lose but it might become necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

What is with all the "A Cop shot someone ??! HE DESERVES TO DIE FOR THAT ! SCUM !!11ONE" Attitude going around these days ? A Police officer is trained to analyse the situation to determine if using exsessive force is necessary, but we're only human and no amount of training can prepare someone, even a police officer, for a very unexpected movement or action a suspect might take ! When it comes down to it, the police officer realises its either him, the suspect or any inncocent people that will get injured or killed and if the suspect happens to be armed, then that makes the situation a lot worse and unpredictable.

People are saying also "Shoot to wound not to kill" have you any idea how many bullets it can take to bring down somebody down ? Especially if they're pumped up ? Some bullets are made to just make a narrow path through the body, doing very little damage when coming from a 9mm or a .45. Others are made to tear and rip holes into their victim causing horrific injuries, now I'm pretty sure if the police used this kind of ammunition, there'd be uproar about police brutality. Putting one or two bullets into someones leg as they're either waving a gun around, pointing it at you, or charger at you wouldn't be an easy thing to do. The police are actually trained to put 2 in the chest and 1 in the head if the first two don't bring them down, i may be wrong as I've only heard it in numerous law enforcement documentaries.

At the end of the day I suppose, no one knows what really happened except the police officer involved and I personally feel sorry for the police officer and any Officer put in that extraordinary situation that has to deal with public uproar demanding their blood, he'll have to deal with shooting dead a man for the rest of his life, i'm sure that isn't an easy thing to deal with. And of course the family in question have my sympathy.

Lay off the "its the Police's fault for shooting someone regardless of situation" attitude, its sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Right, I hope I never get most of you lot on a jury. Talk about jumping to conclusions before anything is known... Holy crap.

Get the facts then cast judgement. Until then, STFU.

Bambi wrote: »
    No, they're not but please continue talking out of yer swiss on the subject, this is AH after all :pac:

Id appreciate a less condescending tone next time. Especially considering you added nothing to the debate. They're not sent out on a "shoot to kill" protocol. Otherwise there'd be carnage.

One poster beat me to it.
    FruitLover wrote: »
    Not exactly - they shoot to incapacitate. Naturally, death is often a side-effect of a couple of bullets in the chest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

What we know:

What we don't know
    • What he was doing

We know nothing, yet so many people will jump to conclusions based on teary-eyed feelings of nationalism and anti-Americanism. Oh, no, a son of mother Ireland could never do anything wrong, it must be those nasty, gun totin' Americans. Total Irish exceptionalist narccissism.

Never a truer word spoken. Speculation is fine in small measures provided it's labelled as such, but I have no time for people who have posted things like
    the shame, what an ****in idiot cop i hope he dies.whats the world coming to? and maybe he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time... and didn't rob anybody. and having mental problems is no reason to be shot. and sure the cop wouldn't have known about his probs.... poor family.

Shame on YOU, for one. You should be banned.

Bold is mine.

Dragan wrote: »
    Well in the public eye the whole guilty till proven innocent thing applies it seems.

It goes for both the cop and the kid. More facts are needed but from what we know so far it sounds dodgy. People normally dont get shot to death for burglary when they are unarmed. Maybe he implied he was armed, who knows, but it warrants questioning. Its certainly not black and white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Christ, there's some smell of BS from this thread. We know very, very little about what happened and therefore, can come to no conclusion yet.

The only facts we know are that:
    • The victim was believed to have psychological problems (but according to the Oregonian, he was never actually diagnosed?)
    • The officer who fired the shot had only graduated just over a year ago. (So, perhaps more likely to panic if faced with what he perceived to be a life-threatening situation)

However, how relevant the above "facts" are to what happened is still unknown. Call me an optimist or maybe just someone who believes in the spirit of the "innocent until proven guilty", but for the moment, I offer my sympathies to both the family of the victim and also to the officer (who, until proven otherwise, either did nothing wrong, or just panicked and now must live with the consequences).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

We know ONE fact, a kid got shot by the police in a town where nobody has been shot for 20-odd years.

QFT

second

Anyone see the documentarty 'hostage' last week. Basically these blokes were doing armed robbery. Anyway 30 shots were fired, 3 gardai injured, 2 civillians wounded and 1 robber killed.

As it transpired an gardee shick-iloney fired all the shots. the robbers fired none. :eek:

so no to guards with guns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What we know:

What we don't know
    • What he was doing

Quoted For Truth. Could not have put it better.

With regard to the location and the History of shootings in the area, that could mean anything. I think it suggests that this was an abnormal situation - that the cop would not ever have had to shoot anyone. As Stevec aptly put it by pulling that trigger, even if to save lives, a police officer is putting his job, life and liberty on the line any time he does, with each incident for good or bad is analyzed rigorously by his superiors.

Guns: Terribly inaccurate. I've gotten my hands both on the 9mm Beretta (used by a lot of military forces, some police forces), Glock 9mm, and the Desert Eagle .457 (just for shíts and giggles) and personally I couldnt even put a hole into the target from farther away than 25 feet. (Though notably the my favorite was the Glock - least recoil)

Anyway, regarding "Why didn't he use a taser?" well for one, are all police forces even equipped with Tasers?
    More than 11,000 agencies in the US deploy TASER brand technology. Some 3,500 of these agencies give Tasers to all their patrol officers, according to the company.
    Secondly, Tasers can be lethal too.

And sure, RIP buddy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

vote4pedro wrote: »
    but the lack of details and the fact the man was (presumably) unarmed do raise a lot of questions.

I've been asking around residents of them thar parts, and the local paper has a picture of a Hyundai Elantra with the back window shot out. A car is considered a deadly weapon, and trying to run over a cop (including in reverse) is liable to get you shot. Of course, it could just have been a car in the background which got hit by rounds which missed, but it's a possibility.

In any case, this is all just speculation, but it's to show that there's always a few other things to worry about than just 'did he have a gun?'
    Others are made to tear and rip holes into their victim causing horrific injuries, now I'm pretty sure if the police used this kind of ammunition, there'd be uproar about police brutality

Umm.. That's going to be the standard load amongst both cops and private citizens. I've hollowpoints in my sidearm. It's far more effective than FMJ rounds, as it has greater energy transfer into the target, and also reduces the problems of overpenetration through walls and such like should they miss.
    People normally dont get shot to death for burglary when they are unarmed.

You picked the one wrong example. Residential burglary is pretty much the one crime in the US where you run the risk of getting shot, no questions asked.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You picked the one wrong example. Residential burglary is pretty much the one crime in the US where you run the risk of getting shot, no questions asked.
    It is also pretty much the sole reason in the constitution why one is allowed to bare arms in the states, i.e. protection of property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

People are going a little overboard with statements regarding the accuracy, or lack thereof, of stock pistols. Pistols are accurate enough. Clamp a Glock in a suitable vice and it'll hit a heart sized target at 50 yards handily enough, at the very least nine times out of ten, using good ammunition. The other side of that is that pistols are very difficult to shoot well, and require far, far more practice for a similar relative standard of accuracy than a rifle. That's in my experience. I've tried my hand at Olympic style smallbore pistol once or twice and I can say it's something I'd love to get into at some point, but it's an extraordinarily demanding thing to try, and an expensive sport. The thing is, pistols are more than up to the accuracy demands of competitive and police or military needs, but the skill required to use them is huge, and that's why they're not regarded as accurate. It's entirely possible to use them with impressive accuracy if the time is put in.

It is also pretty much the sole reason in the constitution why one is allowed to bare arms in the states, i.e. protection of property.

Not quite.

The presumption is that a burglar poses an immediate risk to your safety. Yes, a few States will permit lethal force for property, but the Constitutional self-defense right is for yourself and your family. He may only be breaking in to steal a TV, but you don't know that at the time. Your home is your castle, your place of sanctuary. If a man will violate that, there's no telling what else he may violate.

NTM

Not quite.

The presumption is that a burglar poses an immediate risk to your safety. Yes, a few States will permit lethal force for property, but the Constitutional self-defense right is for yourself and your family. He may only be breaking in to steal a TV, but you don't know that at the time. Your home is your castle, your place of sanctuary. If a man will violate that, there's no telling what else he may violate.

NTM

the Right to Bear Arms in the constitution has been the source of debate for over 200 years. It doesnt say what kind of arms you can bear, if you are entitled to keep stuffed arms from a grizzly bear, whether you're even allowed to FIRE the arms, etc. But conventionally the Right to Bear Arms was placed in the constitution To defend home property and livelihood and (imo) to acknowledge the importance of the Armed Militia in the American Revolutionary War.

This is why in some states its perfectly legal to carry firearms around. Some states allow for concealed weapons, etc. and now florida is passing into law a bill which will allow employees to keep firearms in the parking lot of wherever they work (although Disney World apparently has a big problem with that, go figure)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hey, since Bush took over with his Texas wild west attitude, it's shoot first and ask questions later (same in Iraq).

Overheal wrote: »
    the Right to Bear Arms in the constitution has been the source of debate for over 200 years.

Maybe you missed it, but the Supreme Court finally made its first direct ruling on the issue in its 200+ year history last week.
    http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

The implications cannot be overstated. There's a swarm of litigation coming now, to overturn various firearms restrictions.

NTM

Maybe you missed it, but the Supreme Court finally made its first direct ruling on the issue in its 200+ year history last week.
    http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

NTM
    Last week..pfft. I was doing important things last week. Im sure of it..

Thanks for the link though. Good read and I guess I should redact; this paper seems to reference that the 2nd ammendment is autonomous of militia service ;)

But hey if theres ever a homeland invasion I know a gun range a few blocks away: they got reaps of M-16 carbines and Ak-47s. Even some Not-For-Sale RPGs on display. I is gonna have fun.

• Advertisement

Where are you at again?

NTM

visiting the homeland :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭WalkswithDeath

the news is that Andrew was on his way back to his sisters house and knocked at the wrong door and was shot four times . wrong place wrong time. Andrew was a lovely kid very kind and loving
    and my heart go's out to his mum Dorothea and the rest of the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Id appreciate a less condescending tone next time. Especially considering you added nothing to the debate. They're not sent out on a "shoot to kill" protocol. Otherwise there'd be carnage.

One poster beat me to it.

you're right im not adding to the debate by presenting facts that are completely wrong. :pac:

the news is that Andrew was on his way back to his sisters house and knocked at the wrong door and was shot four times . wrong place wrong time. Andrew was a lovely kid very kind and loving
    and my heart go's out to his mum Dorothea and the rest of the family.

With respect, this is apparent speculation by Heise. The brother-in-law demonstrated his amazing knowledge of shootouts by pronouncing after viewing the body that he could not tell what direction the shots might have come from, how close the officer was to Hanlon or exactly how many times Hanlon was shot.

"It was really hard to tell," he said. "It was definitely not grouped in one area."

I suggest waiting for the report which is being carried out by an outside agency.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Hey, since Bush took over with his Texas wild west attitude, it's shoot first and ask questions later (same in Iraq).

Every cop in the US has thia attitude after November 2000?

I have no time for alot of yanks, I find them boring, thick and up their own arse. And they have stupid names. Brent. Randy. Topher. Mary-Beth. Paige. And so on....

But we are outdoing them in their stupidity here. Its big bad American cop gunnin a brotha down, without any of you knowing any circumstance of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I called my mother yesterday and first thing she said, "did you hear about that poor Irish boy shot by the police over there". It's wicked annoying to hear this stuff as my own experience for the last 10 years has been great when it comes to safety. I feel a hell of a lot safer living here than I ever did living in Dublin.

All the speculation is just bull until the details are released. Last year there was a case locally where two cops went to a house at the request of a couple who were concerned about their son. He had mental issues and was locked in his room and his parents were very concerned about what he might do to himself. So they entered his house, talked to him through the door and decided it was best to break down the door. They entered the room and subsequently shot him dead. And that is the story that was on the news until the investigation was completed which caused a huge outcry and a lot of speculation. The truth was that the parents failed to tell them he kept a loaded shotgun in his room. When they entered the room he raised the gun as if to shoot them and they drew their weapons and did what they were trained to do. They were cleared of all wrong doing and went back to work.

The truth was that the parents failed to tell them he kept a loaded shotgun in his room.

I can imagine them quoting Burt Gummer from Tremors 2.

"I feel I was denied critical, need to know information!"

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Kernel32 wrote: »
    I called my mother yesterday and first thing she said, "did you hear about that poor Irish boy shot by the police over there". It's wicked annoying to hear this stuff as my own experience for the last 10 years has been great when it comes to safety. I feel a hell of a lot safer living here than I ever did living in Dublin.

All the speculation is just bull until the details are released. Last year there was a case locally where two cops went to a house at the request of a couple who were concerned about their son. He had mental issues and was locked in his room and his parents were very concerned about what he might do to himself. So they entered his house, talked to him through the door and decided it was best to break down the door. They entered the room and subsequently shot him dead. And that is the story that was on the news until the investigation was completed which caused a huge outcry and a lot of speculation. The truth was that the parents failed to tell them he kept a loaded shotgun in his room. When they entered the room he raised the gun as if to shoot them and they drew their weapons and did what they were trained to do. They were cleared of all wrong doing and went back to work.

That might be the case but there are many similar situation to the one you have described where the police have shot and killed people children without any justification.

The following link is of Christopher Drypen the young son of the Drypens and who refused to come out of his basement and would not turn down his music. So the parents called the police after they saw he had a small steak knife with him. The police arrived and the Drypens explained the entire situation in detail. They expected the police would calm him down and talk some sense into him.
    So the police stood at the top of the basement stairs and goaded him out of the basement to the bottom of the basement stairs and then shot him 18 times. One officer reloaded his weapon and then continued shooting.

The officers actually lied in their statments claiming the son was on the stairs when they shot him but forensics suggested he was at the botom of the stairs.

The family won $4 million dollars compensation so the officers were not fully believed.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0502/18/A01-94027.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

It's not justification for the policeman's actions that is the issue here; it is that a seemingly harmless unarmed young man was shot dead.

It wouldn't have happened in Ireland because the uniformed cop wouldn't have had a gun.

Long may they be restricted to nightsticks and fists.

It wouldn't have happened in Ireland because the uniformed cop wouldn't have had a gun.

Long may they be restricted to nightsticks and fists.

Situation dependant. For all we know, the uniformed cop without a gun could be a dead uniformed cop now. I fail to see how that's an improved state of affairs.

Which reminds me, whatever happend the North Strand garda shooting in the end?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0925/dublin.html

NTM

• Advertisement
Advertisement