Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering level 7 ordinary degree - suggested reading?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hey. I'm going to DIT in September to do an ordinary degree in Engineering, I was just wondering if anyone has or is taking this course are there any books you would recommend if I want to get a jump on things? I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing so ideas for swatting up would be great :)

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

What course code? There are a few level 7 engineering courses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

your a girl??? in bolton street...good luck getting any work done, you'll have dates every night of the week

tho i know what grrl riot is, bit of a fan, and if the genres ethos is what you are about... your gonna be very bored ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 GrrrlRiot

I'm doing mechanical engineering so it's DT006 I think, not too sure though...

Yeah I've heard DIT is full of guys at the best of times never mind doing Engineering! Haha, should I be scared? Are the guys there usually cute more to the point?! :)

Haha, what do you mean I'll be bored? Oh if you're a RG fan check out my website...http://www.geocities.com/riotgrrrlworld :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

For mechanical engineering, a trip to a factory or playing around with Lego will be much more worthwhile than reading reference books, if you're a complete beginner. You'll see how things work and you'll get a feel for them. Many reference books on engineering are not written with complete beginners in mind, sometimes there are formulas popping out of nowhere and lack of explanations of fundamental concepts.

For fundamentals, I'd recommend "The New Book of popular Science" (Grolier publishing). It's clearly written and most importantly, it's not long winded.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

GrrrlRiot wrote: »

Yeah I've heard DIT is full of guys at the best of times never mind doing Engineering! Haha, should I be scared? Are the guys there usually cute more to the point?! :)

angiers is bout 70 per cent girls, bolton bout 90 per cent guys... mostly the bogger type, nothing great, tho i am a guy so my taste wouldnt be something to go by :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Haha ok then. Yeah I was mainly joking, I'm not gonna date every guy in college anyway, something tells me I wouldn't get taken very seriously! :D lol

Thanks experiMental. What course did you do/are you doing? I really appreciate the help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I'm doing Product Design in faculty of Engineering. There are bits there that cross over with mechanical eng. stuff.

Bolton Street is not really full of boggers. It's just full of lads from Dublin area. Although there were a couple of days when I haven't seen a single girl, it doesn't get that bad too often.

Say, if you're hot, you'll attract a lot of attention. There will be some people who will come over to you, but don't be afraid :D. You can always call a porter over to your rescue. Or go to a workshop across the road in Linenhall and order yourself a steel rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Tails142

I can only talk about the honours degree course but I think they're quite similiar to begin with.

In first year a lot of what you will do will be leaving cert material. Everybody has done different subjects so they the cover some of the stuff again and push it on a little bit.

There will be a subject called mechanics which is basically applied mathematics. There is a good Applied Maths book you could get if you wanted to work on the subjects, its brown and I think is the only leaving cert applied maths book around so it shouldnt be hard to find. I think its called Fundemantal Applied Maths.

You will do Physics which will start out with leaving cert stuff you may have done and then push it forward a little.

Maths if I remember correctly doesnt really cover leaving cert topics to start. I think the first thing you do is matrices, which are pretty easy and just require a lot of writing. If you wanted you could get a college maths book and start work on the matrices, I reccomend a book called Engineering Mathematics, Third Edition by Evans. Its yellow and well explained, though the pages are like primary school toilet paper which is a quality I never find appealing in books!

Chemistry is one of the subjects I found most difficult in first year as I hadnt covered it in the leaving cert and missed most of the lectures in college, doh! :pac: I ended up having to learn most of it out of a book on my own for the repeat exam in september. Cant remember the name of the book, was just one I picked up in the library but it brings up a good point that you may feel comfortable in the subjects you covered in the leaving cert and not realise you're falling behind in the ones you havent covered, so basically go to all your lectures!!

That's all I can really remember, was 6 years ago that I was in first year so some of the things might have changed but I doubt it. Obvously there are other subjects like proffesional development which is a sort of business subject and a few others I cant remember.

Enjoy yourself anyway, that's the main thing.

Also, Bolton Street is full of boggers, in final year out of a class of about 60, there were only about 5 dubs and another 5 girls!!

Can anyone help OP with the books? It'll be hard for him/her to get their hands on the books since they're not in DIT. Anyone got spares we can pass along.

OP, have ya done Chemistry for the LC? I can throw you some notes or good links if you want to read up incase it's all new to you.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much Tails you are a legend! That's sooo helpful. If I ever meet you I'm buying you a pint, lol... :) Thanks man... <3

Who's OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GrrrlRiot wrote: »
    Who's OP?
    original poster of the thread, i.e. in this case it's you.

:D Oh ok thanks!

Jim no I didn't take chemistry so notes would be amazing... :) thanks everyone for being great :)

Grand so. I'll look up what you'll be covering and throw a few basic things together.

I'll have it up here within 2 weeks.

Right, Ms. G. Riot, I've looked up your course (the Level 7 one, and the Level 8 one) and I don't see chemistry in first year for either of them!

http://www.dit.ie/DIT/study/undergraduate/programmes08/dt006.html
    Year 1
    Semester 1.

* Mathematics 1
    * Integrated Principles of Technology
    * Instrumentation 1
    * Mechanics & Materials
    * Workshop Processes
    * Professional Development
    * Engineering Drawing
    * Computing

Semester 2.

* Mathematics 2
    * Heat and Energy
    * Instrumentation 2
    * Mechanics & Materials
    * Workshop Processes
    * Engineering Drawing
    * Computing

http://www.dit.ie/DIT/study/undergraduate/programmes08/dt022.html
    Year 1.
    Semester 1

* Engineering Mathematics/Statistics
    * Thermodynamics
    * Mechanics
    * Electrical & Electronic Eng.
    * Eng. Materials & Nanotechnology

Semester 2

* Engineering Computing
    * Fluid Mechanics 2.
    * Mechanical Eng. Drawing
    * And CAD
    * Control Eng. & Automation
    * Manufacturing Technology
    * Engineering Ethics

So, looks like I'm not much use to you. I will say though, if you do come across any chemistry in first year, come back and give us a shout for some help etc.

* Heat and Energy
    * Thermodynamics

could be a bit of chem

Yeah I looked up that stuff before to find out what was in the course but I was looking for more specific information which is why I asked here. Just because I know which modules we're covering doesn't mean I know which books are the best and/or if we'll need to cover a bit of chemistry during the modules. If I need help though I will get back to you Jim, but thanks for your help so far, and thanks to everyone else too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Tails142

This is the course that I did, common first year for all types of engineering, honours degree.
    The programme is delivered in modular format across two semesters. All modules are compulsory and comprise; Engineering Mathematics 1 & 2, Mechanics 1 & 2, Engineering Physics 1 & 2, Engineering Chemistry 1 & 2, Engineering Drawing, Introduction to Engineering and Engineering Applications, Professional Develop ment and Computing. A good mathematical and analytical ability is required for all degree options.

You'll see the chemistry in there.

What's the course code for the level 7 ordinary degree, is this it?

http://www.dit.ie/DIT/study/undergraduate/programmes08/dt004.html

If so there may be chemistry in the Engineering Sciences subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dubgal2008

I'm just about to go into second year engineering in Bolton street. There are actually a lot more girls in the college than people make out so don't worry about that.

I covered chemistry, physics, mechanics, (which is very similar to applied maths), maths, Engineering drawing and engineering applications.

If you wanna get a head start i'd just say go over the leaving cert course for maths, applied maths, physics and chemistry because that is pretty much all you do in first year. Don't go too deep on your own though because u'll just get confused.

Hope that helps
    xx:)

• Advertisement

Oh cool ok, thanks :)

Advertisement