Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making Tiramisu without alcohol

• 03-07-2008 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a non alcoholic alternative to Amerreto for tiramisu?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Feeonaw

I'm not sure about this - but as far as I know it's ok to cook with alcohol! I think the alcohol just evapourates away when it's heated to a certain temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Feeonaw wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this - but as far as I know it's ok to cook with alcohol! I think the alcohol just evapourates away when it's heated to a certain temperature.

You dont heat tiramisu though!

More importantly ( for me anyway) I dont want to buy a bottle of spirits that would just be left lying around the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Any time I (and that being someone I was beside!) have made Tiramisu its always with Kahlua or Tia Maria so a sweet coffee extract the same thing...

Never made it with Ameretto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Feeonaw

brokensoul wrote: »
    You dont heat tiramisu though!

More importantly ( for me anyway) I dont want to buy a bottle of spirits that would just be left lying around the house.

Oh right! haha - well I think I've proven that I'm no masterchef, that's for sure! I'd probably have tried to grill it or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Have you tried it without any alcohol? Or add a little brandy essence to the coffee to give it the flavour.

I'd usually just add a few spoons of brandy for tiramisu. It's one of the best alcohols for cooking so wouldn't go to waste in you cupboard. It's lovely when added to sauces for steaks (alcohol evaporates) and in other baked desserts, like cakes. Neither or us drinks in our house but we keep wine, brandy, port and vodka for cooking purposes.

• Advertisement

Have you tried it without any alcohol? Or add a little brandy essence to the coffee to give it the flavour.

I'd usually just add a few spoons of brandy for tiramisu. It's one of the best alcohols for cooking so wouldn't go to waste in you cupboard. It's lovely when added to sauces for steaks (alcohol evaporates) and in other baked desserts, like cakes. Neither or us drinks in our house but we keep wine, brandy, port and vodka for cooking purposes.

Im an alcoholic though. I really dont like the idea of drink in the house, or in food for that matter.

I know that when it is cooked the alcohol evaporates but i still dont like the reminder in the taste.

Im afraid the tiramisu will be very bland without alcohol though

Would that rule out Brandy Essence aswell?

Check out http://www.ochef.com/r180.htm or maybe use vanilla extract to add some extra flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, the essence is probably a good idea unless it would be too tempting. You see them in most supermarkets but don't use it if you think that it'd lead you onto more stuff.

Just leave out the tia and use irel coffee instead. A good coffee taste can be nice in the right amounts.

After some experimentation i can reveal that strong coffee and cinnamon does the job just fine!!

brokensoul wrote: »
    After some experimentation i can reveal that strong coffee and cinnamon does the job just fine!!

Yummy, cinnamon... mmmmmmmm....

• Advertisement
Advertisement