Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice/opinion please

Options
  • 03-07-2008 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭

01 130bhp 1.9Tdi passat.

The passenger side parking lights wouldn't turn off this morning when I arrived in work. I switched them off took out the key and open the door to get out and the "lights on" alarm sounded. I switched the car on and off and switch the lights on and off but the passenger side wouldn't go off.

So.... I took out the fuse for the passenger side parking lights to kill them BUT the alarm is still sounding when the door is open.

I'm guessing my electrics got wet this morning with the amount of surface water on the road and I'm hoping they'll dry out themselves but, do people think my battery will be dead when I get back into the car after work?

If the alarm is still sounding with the door open does the car still think the lights are on?
    Is it going to drain the battery?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Move your indicator stalk to the centre position (ie not indicating), and all should be well.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

its not indicating, The lights were actually on until I took out the fuse but I'll go out and double check.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Move your indicator stalk to the centre position (ie not indicating), and all should be well.:)

Who's a legend??
    Anan1 is a legend!!

That's right!! A LEGEND!!!

Thanks, The inticator stalk was indeed indication into the parking space :)
    Do the parking lights on the indicating side stay on to let you know that the indictor is engaged??

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Do the parking lights on the indicating side stay on to let you know that the indictor is engaged??

It's the opposite: you leave the indicator engaged to turn on the parking lights on that side of the car.

Having said that, I've never parked - nor seen anyone else do it - with just one side of the car lit up.

Maybe I'm just an all-or-nothin' kind of guy....

It BeeMee wrote: »
    It's the opposite: you leave the indicator engaged to turn on the parking lights on that side of the car.

Is that not a bit silly? Would lighting the opposite side not be better?

example: I've i pulled in on the side of the road and left the passenger side indicotor engaged to just light one parking light, would lighting the roadside light not be more benefical to other drivers?

I'm not getting the logic here, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

That's why the indicator stalk goes both ways.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Who's a legend??
    Anan1 is a legend!!

That's right!! A LEGEND!!!

Thanks, The inticator stalk was indeed indication into the parking space :)
    Glad to be of help, especially on a day like today.:)

The indicator stalk on VAG cars has two separate functions, with the ignition on it operates the indicators and with the ignition off it operates the parking lights.

It BeeMee wrote: »
    That's why the indicator stalk goes both ways.....

yeah I guess

Anan1 wrote: »
    Glad to be of help, especially on a day like today.:)

The indicator stalk on VAG cars has two separate functions, with the ignition on it operates the indicators and with the ignition off it operates the parking lights.

very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

yeah I guess

Doh!

@)
    ( ~ )

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

my point was, if you're parking on the left, you'll have the left indicator on. Then if you turn off the engine and leave the indicator engaged wouldn't it be more logical if the drive side parking light stayed on instead of the passenger side but nevermind...

Advertisement