Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

S14 advice

Options
  • 03-07-2008 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Ok i'm looking into buying an s14 sylvia 2.0l turbo.Anyone have any advice on what to look out for, and reviews in general on the car!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Very relyable, though they had track rod ends and brakes can be an issue, upgrade both of them and the stock diff as many people tend to dis like it... Generally a rock-solid car regardless of the abuse they All suffer... as thats what they seem to be built for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

was thinkin of gettin one myself a few weeks ago.. still a bit tempted tbh but almost every single one i viewed had clearly been drifted in japan.

which means they most likely had the sh1te drivin out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Best bet would be to try and track down an unmodifed example in the UK, pistonheads classified should have a few...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

2 Espressi wrote: »
    Best bet would be to try and track down an unmodifed example in the UK, pistonheads classified should have a few...

there called the 200sx in the uk and in my opinion are a much nicer car and of course you'll get the history etcc...

as standard there pretty robust cars and can handle high mileage but if there modified engine wise then make sure the cars been properly serviced and minded and oil being changed reguarly also

loads more info over at http://www.sxoc.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 randy-ant

I've yet to hear a real bad comment about the cars!for a 2.0l turbo they're so easily modified and just look amazing when done ryt.s15 are lovely just the price of them is a bit high in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Make sure its a genuine turbo some of the ones coming in from japan are standard S14's with a bolt on turbo!!!!!

Oh ryt didn't here that one thanks for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

draffodx wrote: »
    there called the 200sx in the uk and in my opinion are a much nicer car and of course you'll get the history etcc...

as standard there pretty robust cars and can handle high mileage but if there modified engine wise then make sure the cars been properly serviced and minded and oil being changed reguarly also

loads more info over at http://www.sxoc.co.uk

Theres plenty of info in the forums above. Dont just buy one make sure you know what your doing. It is very easy to buy youself trouble. Buy a good one that has been maintained well and youll have a fantastic experience. (Forums tell you what to look for and ask)

Iv seen bot ends. My brother had a dog of an S13 with a mechanic who couldnt maintain it. Cost him an engine 2 turbos and 3 NCTs. I looked at it for an hour and fixed a massive boost leak(s) after he was told he needed a SAFC to lean out the overfueling :(
    This is not an uncommon story and why i maintained the car to a very high standard myself (my brother didnt)

I had a S14 well maintaied and had only issues with an idle control valve that was fixed with a toothbrush and some carb cleaner.

Common issues:
    • Wing mounted intercoolors leak/crack (excuse for a good front mount)
    • More boost leaks (cause turbo to cook, large leaks cause turbo to work too hard and die)
    • Dump valves (cause fueling issues)
    • Spray bars block due to not changeing oil enough (vital)
    • Dieing factory fuel pumps (70 euro fix)
    • VVT rattle (annoying but no damage caused)
    • Turbo gaskes can go on above factory boost (a pig of a job)
    • Walls and roundabouts (car demands respect check for accident damage also drive carefully especially when damp/wet)
    • Silvias will require octane boost or e5+octane boost or retarded cas to be safe (personal preference with differing opinions)
    Most common problem is boost leaks and fuel pumps.

Get on the forums for a month or two then buy. This car can eat your wallet if you buy trouble.

I've heard it is a fragile car if not looked after properly and serviced reguraly and you only have to assume then that parts for it wouldn't be cheap!Thanks for the advice

you can say the same for every jap turbo car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

randy-ant wrote: »
    I've heard it is a fragile car if not looked after properly and serviced reguraly and you only have to assume then that parts for it wouldn't be cheap!Thanks for the advice

Its fragile if not maintained properly a boost leak and poor maintenance and it is guaranteed to break your heart. The problems are known and easily avoided. Its a 10 year old Japanese turbo car.

If you want bullet proof with very low maintenance look at a honda.

I do recommend you learn how to do basic service and do as much research as possible now as being charged 100 Euro+ in labour to change plugs and oil ever 3000 miles is a bit much.

The best advice here is:
    Contact the owners club, get on the forums, there a fantastic group of guys and well worth the money for membership -> sourcing parts, Organising meets, track days, advice, help, contacts, discounts ,cars for sale....

All your possible questions have been answered there:
    • Cost of ownership
    • common problems
    • Buying advice
    • Differences in models
    • Howtos
    • The good stories
    • The bad stories
    • Products tested
    • Cars for sale with the history of the car(in the forum posts often)
    • You name it its been debated

BUT

If you maintain it well its an absolute joy and is a fantastic car.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    you can say the same for every jap turbo car

True most are temperamental.

I'm not a total amateur at cars.Im an electrician but have a huge interest in cars. Have a civic coupe myself at d mo and what they say is not wrong.Honda's take enormous torture.Not sayin that i dog it mine is well luked after serviced regurally by myself but iv never had a scrap of trouble with it.

i went from a civic coupe to a lugacy turbo that the engine went from, then had another legacy but didnt trust it so went back to a honda euro r (check adverts.ie hehe) now i have dropped down to a accord sir-t

the insurance on the sir-t is about 100 dearer than they quoted me for an ek9

not bad considerin the accord is a ncier car imo.

hondas are bombproof.

dont know if i would go for another turbo car again..

think dc5 teg is my next car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Remember reading that they can suffer from manifold cracks. Something else to watch for.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

ive to of these both well modified one about 300 brake and the other close to 350 if not more there a very relaiable car in stanard fom but slow imo ive both mine set up for drifting and to be honest there very easy to get big power into for cheap money id buy the japan spec,d car if i were u as they have no rust ive seen a last of the model 01 ones lately and its riddled wit rust for a well minded auto car my 94 is one hundred times cleaner under neath a= even thou it got a quarter panel repaired in japan
    my 14 s for sale pm if u want details

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

driftking, got a present for you:
    . , . , : ; . ,

Stick some of those in your post, it'll make it easier to read for all of us

Advertisement