Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autralian Broadband Strategy! - Whats your excuse Irish leaders?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

I was just reading an article on the Australian broadband plan which will cover 100% of the country (or so thats what I take from the article).

Australia's government has launched an ambitious effort to build a new fiber-to-the-node national network that will provide at least 12Mbps connections to 98 percent of Australia's population. The two percent who won't have access will be covered under a program called the "Australian Broadband Guarantee" that provides funds to ISPs working in underserved areas. (Note to US regulators: this is what's known as a "national broadband strategy.")

Read more here: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080702-australia-shows-us-how-a-real-broadband-strategy-works.html

Why can't the government in Ireland do something like this? Infact... why HAVEN'T they done something like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Isn't it simple? Its a massive massive project that would cost an absolute bomb. Austrailia is in a much better position to offer something like this than Ireland is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

98% of the population is by no means 100% of the country. Australia has a lot of open space. Bare in mind it's bigger than Europe and has 20M inhabitants... I doubt they'll ever see proper broadband in the outback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Isn't it simple? Its a massive massive project that would cost an absolute bomb. Austrailia is in a much better position to offer something like this than Ireland is.

I would expect it to be very important in Ireland with a number of International (and IT at that) companies basing their world/us headquarters here.

With the prices being charged for broadband here why not make part of that payment a "tax like" amount to be contributed to the upgrade and maintenance of the current network.

People love the technology if its provided for them regardless of where the money comes from.

Apart from this - the network/broadband infrastructure in this country is a joke... but then you dont need me to tell you that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

paulm17781 wrote: »
    98% of the population is by no means 100% of the country. Australia has a lot of open space. Bare in mind it's bigger than Europe and has 20M inhabitants... I doubt they'll ever see proper broadband in the outback.

I meant to say 100% of the population. They'll all be covered on one scheme or another. (speeds will vary.. but they will all be covered).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

iRock wrote: »
    I meant to say 100% of the population. They'll all be covered on one scheme or another. (speeds will vary.. but they will all be covered).

Nah, dont think so mate, Aboriginal areas dont even have phones in some places let alone 12meg broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

iRock wrote: »
    Why can't the government in Ireland do something like this? Infact... why HAVEN'T they done something like this?

New National Broadband Strategy in PDF format.

http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/F063026A-5896-4F44-A4CA-EF2357AA46D6/30908/NGNConsultancyDocumentJuly2008TheFinalversion.pdf

Minimum downstream bandwidth required to support a number of consumer applications [Source: Ofcom]

Next Generation broadband wil be required to support the operation of multiple services, for example a number of HD TV channels in one house, with a game console and basic Internet aces in diferent rooms. This would require 25 Mbps download speed and 5 Mbps upload speeds. In addition to the speed requirements, many of these advanced services require a high-quality connection with no delays in the signal.

Advertisement