Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 98 SE and USB

• 03-07-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

So yesterday I was trying to get my PSP to work with windows 98 SE. I installed USB drivers. The PSP was recognised. It's there in the "eject hardware safely" bit. But it's not showing up as a drive in explorer (any other version of windows, you just plug it in and it's available as a drive letter).

What gives?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Windows 98 SE doesn't support the standard for external storage in the same way that 2k/XP/Vista do.

That is, usually when you plug in most kinds of external storage, it complies with a particular standard for removable/portable storage. Windows then loads the standard drivers for it and away it goes.

Windows 98 though isn't aware of this standard. So in addition to loading the USB drivers (which allows Win98 to recognise a "USB Device"), you also need the drivers which allow Windows to use the PSP as external storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Righto....I went googling. Can't find too much on the issue, but the site I used was this one. It doesn't mention needing anything beyond what's on the page.

I'm open to any suggestion at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Did you try the above exe's? I'm always wary of downloading random exe's though.

There is also a possibility that the PSP doesn't use the Mass Storage standard, but if you've plugged it into various machines without issue, then that's unlikely.

Official recommendation is to install an OS that's not 10 years old :)

Haha. I actually want to shift data off the box onto a vista machine. There's no cd burner in it and I don't want to pull the hard drive (hassle).

I did try the exe in the link below alright. That's what got it recognised and got the "eject hardware safely" thing going on. Just no drive in windows explorer.

I've used the PSP on win2k, XP and linux without any trouble. In 2k and XP it just showed up as a drive. Pretty standard stuff.

Sorted. Installed some ipod drivers and it worked a treat. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement