Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solids before 4 months

Options
2»

Comments

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I started mine off at lunch time, and about 4/6 lil baby spoonfuls.
    You will have to have a fair bit of patience and give an ounce of milk first so that they baby is not starving and then start with the baby rice, be prepared for a lot of it being played with on the tounge and pushed back out of the mouth, put the baby rice on the middle section of the tonge and it is case of catching it as it's pushed back out as the baby gets used to the texture and feel of it.

While baby has some traces of baby rice on their tounge give them another sip of milk which they should swallow along with the baby rice, which will be a new sensation and may well have them spluttering a bit.

Make sure you take the phone of the hook, have used the loo and have had a cup of tea/coffee and are focused but relaxed and can just spend the 10 minutes feeding the baby.

Have a damp cloth handy as well cos you know they will put their hand in their mouth and get the rice on it and will have a go at smearing it where ever they can, it's called learning. :D

Your post just made me go Awww!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

tallaght01 wrote: »
    My neighbour smoked 60 a day and lived to be 90. .

What does that prove?
    I'm not going to get stressed about what parents decide to feed their babies. But I do think that before you dismiss the very good evidence that's now availble in this field, you should at least present some coherent reasons. Otherwise it's just irresponsible.

I've never looked it up in any great detail. One of ours was hungry but a heavy formula seem to do the trick. Went to solids a little bit early but not very early. I only know one person with 3 kids who fed them very early and one of them developed mild asthma. Which I heard was a possible risk of feeding early. If the baby does get asthma how would you know they got it from early feeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

BostonB wrote: »
    What does that prove?

I've never looked it up in any great detail. One of ours was hungry but a heavy formula seem to do the trick. Went to solids a little bit early but not very early. I only know one person with 3 kids who fed them very early and one of them developed mild asthma. Which I heard was a possible risk of feeding early. If the baby does get asthma how would you know they got it from early feeding?

If its from early feeding then there would be no family history and no chest/breathing problems before or during birth. If there was a history like this then there is no clear cause of the asthma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

My boy went through a hungry phase at about 4 months but i just moved him onto the extra hungry formula. I was open to feeding him solids early but didn't have to in the end, and just started introducing him to some pureed pear at about 5 1/2 months and then started one meal a day at six months. I'd hold off as long as you can tbh but you'll know yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

parents need to accept that they'r being given these facts for the benefit of their babies, not for our benefit. it's very easy to put the word "expert" in inverted commas etc and poo-poo the information because you don't like it. That's just unhelpful, and it's not very scientific.

New information will always be forthcoming as society and science progresses. We may know in 20years that mobile phones give us kidney cancer, and that's something we'll have to deal with at the time. Just as we now know about the link between early solids and immune-related conditions.

All I'm interested is the facts. I think they should be given to parents, and they should be left alone to act on them as they see fit. But I think saying that they should introduce solids earlier than the reccomendations if baby isn't satisfied is a bit irresponsible of you. Some people would rather endure a cranky baby for the extra few weeks if it meant a lower risk of these problems, particularly in familes where there's lots of asthma/allergies etc. I don't think you should tell parents what to do if their baby wants earlier solids, based on your anecdotal experiences. It's a very personal choice.

I think, in this case, as long as the parents are armed with the facts, then the choice they make will be the right one.

I agree with this. But i really do think people should seriously take on board the guidelines and recommendations that are available to us TODAY. I understand the mindset of 'well we were fed solids at three months and there's nothing wrong with us' but research is ongoing , for example i wouldn't dream of putting my baby to sleep on his tummy even though thats how i was put to sleep as a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

DS was a big baby, he was over 9lbs when he was born, but, we waited until he was 6 months old to start him on solids. The advice from the World Health Organisation was to do this and who was I to argue with this.

It was totally the right decision for us, and he took to food with no issues, he did not gag once and moved onto 3 meals a day within 2 weeks of starting. He is eating all around him now and has only been on solids one month.

We are expecting number 2 and will wait until 6 months then as well. I believe the guidelines are there for health reasons not just to annoy us and give us hungry babies. Also sometimes what people think are hungry babies are simply babies that want to suck, or need some other form of comfort.

Just my tuppence worth.
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shaz00

hi i feed both my boys before they were four months old and it worked a trick, they were born big babies and just needed feeding, my first was on baby rice at 10 weeks and the second at 8 weeks, it settled them and made them alot happier.

on my first baby the health nurse wasn't impressed by me feeding but as i said it settled him and it was only a tiny bit. with my second baby she just smiled and said well he obviously needs it you know its not recommended but you know your baby best. Hasn't done either of them any harm and are both fine.

u do what you feel best and what is best for your baby, some babies just need that little bit of food to fill them. I havent' looked back

Advertisement