Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Autoexpress Survey: Britians Worst Car

Options
  • 03-07-2008 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭

http://www.demographix.co.uk/surveys/TWHI-SO67/KBACVZXN/

It's a tough one, how about we do the same poll here and see how our results compare to theirs?

edit to add pics

Hillman Imp
    6097.jpg

Rover 800
    6103.jpg

Triumph Acclaim
    6104.jpg

Rover 200 (mid 1980's version)
    6102.jpg

Austin Princess
    6106.jpg

Triumph TR7
    6105.jpg

Austin Allegro
    6096.jpg

Morris Ital
    6099.jpg

Talbot Sunbeam
    6108.jpg

Morris 1800
    6098.jpg

Which was britians worst car? 37 votes

Hillman Imp
    0% 0 votes
    Rover 800
    5% 2 votes
    Triumph Acclaim
    2% 1 vote
    Rover 200 (mid 1980's version)
    2% 1 vote
    Austin Princess
    24% 9 votes
    Triumph TR7
    5% 2 votes
    Austin Allegro
    8% 3 votes
    Morris Ital
    35% 13 votes
    Talbot Sunbeam
    13% 5 votes
    Morris 1800
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Some of those cars weren't all bad... The Imp did fairly well in motorsport, the SD1 had that V8, and the Rover had a twincam K series lump. the Trimph was a badge-engineered Honda, and the Tr7 is generally regarded to be a better car than the Midget. The Austins were pretty cack, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

2 Espressi wrote: »
    Some of those cars weren't all bad... The Imp did fairly well in motorsport, the SD1 had that V8, and the Rover had a twincam K series lump. the Trimph was a badge-engineered Honda, and the Tr7 is generally regarded to be a better car than the Midget. The Austins were pretty cack, though...

That's not an SD1 it's an 800 which to the best of my knowledge never had a V8. In addition to the Triumph Acclaim the Rover 200 and 800 were both breathed upon hondas. Combining dour japanese styling with 1980's british build quality and reliability was a recepie for disaster. It's right up there with the Alfa Romeo Arna, a Nissan Cherry with Alfa mechanicals and electrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Allegro ftw, what a nasty little car. Although the Rover 200 was fairly crap, my da bought two of them new, one in 1987 and one in 1989. The new one in 1989 had the gearbox fall out after 17 miles and one hour of ownership :eek: Forgettable cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wasn't the mid-80s Rover 200 really Japanese anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Some of the cars listed could in no way be described as "terrible made-in-the UK monstrosities". The survey looks like an e-mail gathering exercise to me.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

As far as i can remember the post 90's 200 was Jap with a 16v K-Series engine (based on a Honda Concerto (?), we go one of those in 1991 and it was an improvement. i.e. the dashboard didn't turn green in the sun. Had erased those late 80's 200's from my memory until reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭black & white

Can't believe this didn't make the shortlist; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_Metro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    As far as i can remember the post 90's 200 was Jap with a 16v K-Series engine (based on a Honda Concerto (?), we go one of those in 1991 and it was an improvement. i.e. the dashboard didn't turn green in the sun. Had erased those late 80's 200's from my memory until reading this thread.

The older 200 was a Honda too, based on the Ballade which was a the saloon version of the 84 - 88 civic. Come to think of it, the Triumph Acclaim was a badge engineered version of the previous generation Honda Ballade, also a saloon version of the corresponding generation of Civic. For some reason I had it in my head this morning that the Acclaim was an Accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Ital FTW.

Though some of the others run it fairly close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I remember hearing that the Triumph Acclaim model name did not really work in Gemany, as a direct translation would be "Seig Hiel".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

The Rover 200 came as either a 213 or a 216. 213 had the Honda engine and the 216 the Rover engine.

The 800 in 820 guise had a Rover engine and the 827(?) had the V6 Homda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My aunt in Bromley went through several Allegros all from brand new including the Vanden pals model. She couldn't fault them at all finally had to give up on them when she totaled the last one and couldn't get it replaced because they ceased production. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

austin allegro FTW !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Can't believe this didn't make the shortlist; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_Metro

Indeed. What a pile of junk. In its absence I voted for the Princess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The Triumph Acclainm was basically a re-badged Honda Ballade:

HONDA_BALLADE.JPG

Fairly reliable (used all Honda parts), although many would argue it was rather a bland car to wear the Triumph badge.

It's successor, the Rover 200 was again just a re-badged Ballade. Fairly reliable too.

Advertisement