Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kbannon as learning to drive mod

Options
  • 03-07-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭

Ok came across this post in AH by kbannon and was then quite surprised to see that he is that Mod of the learning to drive forum
    kbannon wrote: »
    Not all speeding equals dangerous driving!
    As for drink driving, as I have said on here before, I did this plenty of times while I was young and invincible; 99% of the time on rural roads and in some situations I was absolutely polluted. I think the main reason I was never in an accident was because I very rarely met oncoming traffic or other hazards. That was dangerous of me.
    However I still believe that exceeding the speed limit in many of my situations (especially dual carriageway & motorway) does not necessarily post a safety risk.

So should someone who admits that he use to drink and drive and still admits to breaking the law be a Mod of Learning to Drive.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

'Learning to drive drunk' forum FTW:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

I agree, his attitude was absolutely disgraceful in that thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055309169&page=4

He is still arguing his point that speeding is ok and that he regularly does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

*rabble*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Just want to add my name to this feedback. this guy should not be moderating any forum related to road safety or learning to drive. He is irresponsible and is setting a very poor example to new road users. Road deaths in this country are out of control, usually because of drivers taking alcohol or breaking speed limits. This moderator is setting a terrible example, he should be removed as moderator of the learning to drive forum as he doesn't know how one should drive on our roads

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No point pursuing this, you won't catch him!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

[IMG][/img]lol.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

So the mod of the learning to drive forum admits that he used to drink and drive. He says it was stupid and dangerous and it was only by luck that he wasn't killed. He is now in a very good position to pass on what he has learned from his mistake to others.

As for the speeding thing, a huge amount of drivers in this country break the speed limits on the better roads such as dual carriageways and motorways. In many cases the limits are too low and should be adjusted. I doubt kbannon is advocating driving recklessly or dangerously. Anyone who has seen my posts on the motors forum will know that I am pretty much anti-speeding but there is a difference between a person who speeds recklessly and dangerously and a person who exceeds a speed limit which they reasonable consider to be too low.

If kbannon was still drink driving, there'd be a problem but he's not. If he was encouraging all learner drivers to speed outside schools and what not, there'd be a problem but he's not.

I don't agree with his position on speeding but it's not unreasonable and doesn't detract from his abilities to moderate the forum.

Also... rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

And if any of the mods of the Christianity Forum have ever sinned should be get rid of them too?

ANGRYMOB.jpg

58890.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Children, when you all grow up then you'll understand what "IN THE PAST" means.

KB is an excellent motors mod and long may it continue.

At least he is experienced enough to comment on the issue when all you kids aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

javaboy wrote: »
    there is a difference between a person who speeds recklessly and dangerously and a person who exceeds a speed limit which they reasonable consider to be too low.

But it is still against the law and can lead to deaths, just cause you think you are in control doesn't mean you are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

This is the first time that I've seen threads on the same subject in both AH and Feedback where the Feedback thread descending into anarchy and jokes before the AH thread.

Usually the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Jsb, listen for a second and you might just get it. You started this thread about kbannons ability to mod not about the ethics of how he drives. He is a great mod. FACT.

If you have a problem with how he drives I suggest you stalk him and report his movements to the garda .... or kidnap him and dont let him go until he realises how wrong he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

While i think kbannon was foolish admitting he has driven intoxicated, that has nothing to do with how he moderates his forum.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

As for the speeding thing, a huge amount of drivers in this country break the speed limits on the better roads such as dual carriageways and motorways.

Just because everyone else is doing it, means it okay, does it?

just like the learner drivers, ah sure everyone is driving without an accompanied driver, so its okay.

i say to hell with the rules of the road, everyone just do whatever you like

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Last time I checked, being a moderator wasn't a political position and didn't require any PR spin to look good to your public.
    It also doesn't require a Garda background check nor a clean criminal record.

He's admitted to having done stupid things and broken the law when he was younger. We all have. He acknowledges that it was dumb and he doesn't do it now. If we could all stand up to the stupid things we did in our younger years and admit we were idiots, the world would be a better place.

The speeding point is moot. He's not advocating dangerous driving nor telling people to go out and break the law.

kbannon has been in that position longer than most and has been doing a great job. What he does in his personal life is irrelevant.

jsb wrote: »
    But it is still against the law and can lead to deaths, just cause you think you are in control doesn't mean you are

Do me a favour and don't lecture me on speeding. I'm sure plenty of people remember my rants against speeding on the motors forums. I'm very much anti-speeding but I can tell the difference between someone who is a reckless scumbag cnut (and whatever else DesF said in that thread) and someone who reasons that it is safe to travel at a higher than posted speed on a particular road. They might be wrong about that sometimes but there are absolutely without a doubt situations where the limit is unneccessarily low.

I can't believe I'm defending the speeders here (bet stevec and IrishSpeedTraps etc. never thought they'd see that) but this kind of witch hunt is stupid and the abuse kbannon got in that AH thread was disgraceful.

irishbird wrote: »
    Just because everyone else is doing it, means it okay, does it?

just like the learner drivers, ah sure everyone is driving without an accompanied driver, so its okay.

i say to hell with the rules of the road, everyone just do whatever you like

:rolleyes: Yeah that's what I said alright. Anarchy+selective reading ftw!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Javaboy has put it succinctly, I don't see what else needs to be said here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

inb4lock

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I used to work in a solicitors litagation office.

I have read the reports, seen photos of what driving 10km over the speed limit can do to people never mind 50km a hour.

when are people going to learn speed kills.

i dont care whether it is motorway or not. Irish people are sh.ite drivers how many people do you see on the motorway not using their indicators or mirrors?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For Christs sake!
    I did something almost 20 years ago and I admit to being stupid for doing it and you start bitching. Honestly, you should get a life!
    As for my speeding, should I have lied about it and said that I am an angel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

In defence of kbannon:

I too have driven drunk in my youth, unbelieveably irresponsible and indefensively stupid. Luckily I never cause harm to myself or others.

However, I did, very quickly, learn my lesson and copped on to myself as to how dangerous this practice is and won't even have a single drink now before I drive or drive until at least 14 hours after my last drink after a night out on the razz.

The point I'm trying to make is that kbannon knows the stupid things that young drivers do when they are feeling "invincible" and that puts him in a good position to advise people against these idiotic activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

jsb wrote: »
    Ok came across this post in AH by kbannon and was then quite surprised to see that he is that Mod of the learning to drive forum

So should someone who admits that he use to drink and drive and still admits to breaking the law be a Mod of Learning to Drive.

the islam moderator is not islamic.
    some of the university mods are not in university.
    th mods of the celebrity forum are not celbrities.
    the mods of the mythology are real.

are you seeing where im going with this?#

an opinion or a belief that you hold personally, or an experience that youve had, does not define your ability to moderate a forum

personally, i think he is an excellent mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

TBH, I find kbannon the most moderate of moderators, easily the best I've come across on my short posting life, and that's not easy, the other motors mods are very easy to get along with too.

The past is the past, things have radically changed regarding driving safety, including attitudes. The fact that he realises that such is no longer acceptable is fine by me.

As for the speeding, any advanced driver will tell you he's 100% right, speeding is subjective and rarely has anything to do with this governments appalling speed limit blanket approach.

Motors as a category runs vey smoothly, I don't see the issue :confused:

kbannon wrote: »
    As for my speeding, should I have lied about it and said that I am an angel?

In hindsight, probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

stevec wrote: »
    Children, when you all grow up then you'll understand what "IN THE PAST" means.

KB is an excellent motors mod and long may it continue.

At least he is experienced enough to comment on the issue when all you kids aren't.
    There is no need for patronising messages here, i don't think there are any children who have made a comment here so far.

At the end of the day, when a person is learning to drive, they should learn to drive legally, safely etc. And no matter how good a driver you are, or how convinced you may be that the speed limits aren't high enough, it is illegal to break the speed limit. Speeding causes far too many people to die on our roads. To be honest, i find it hard to understand how anyone can excuse the mod of a learning to drive forum saying that speeding is ok. that is some sort of a subjective concept that should come down to individual judgement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I can't believe I'm defending the speeders here (bet stevec and IrishSpeedTraps etc. never thought they'd see that)

I'm feelin' the <3 brother java. :D

*there's loads of posts here that I want to thank but I've run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Or maybe when a thread about speeding comes up, everyone should be required to post a disclaimer at the bottom of each post;

"I speed, and to claim otherwise is bull****. If I claim that all speeding is wrong in the above post, I acknowledge that I'm a complete hypocrite."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Do me a favour and don't lecture me on speeding. I'm sure plenty of people remember my rants against speeding on the motors forums. I'm very much anti-speeding but I can tell the difference between someone who is a reckless scumbag cnut (and whatever else DesF said in that thread) and someone who reasons that it is safe to travel at a higher than posted speed on a particular road. They might be wrong about that sometimes but there are absolutely without a doubt situations where the limit is unneccessarily low.

I can't believe I'm defending the speeders here (bet stevec and IrishSpeedTraps etc. never thought they'd see that) but this kind of witch hunt is stupid and the abuse kbannon got in that AH thread was disgraceful.

Sorry, had to QFE that. Well said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement