Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kbannon as learning to drive mod

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I heard that if you say kbannon three times in front of a mirror he'll appear behind you! :eek:

And if you walk backwards around Christchurch he'll come up out of the ground and take you down to hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Hill Billy wrote: »
    JSB - Really should have hit the Report Post button instead of dragging it through here.

but my query wasn't to do with the post so the report button wouldn't of been the correct action to take

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

javaboy wrote: »
    I heard that if you say kbannon three times in front of a mirror he'll appear behind you! :eek:

And if you walk backwards around Christchurch he'll come up out of the ground and take you down to hell!
    Its true!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jsb wrote: »
    but my query wasn't to do with the post so the report button wouldn't of been the correct action to take
    Thats fine and I respect your right to do so. Out of curiosity, did you report DesF's posts, given that you are a good boardsie?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

6th wrote: »
    Man you talk some sh1t! How many examples of mods bashing other mods in feedback would you like? I can bring you a cup of tea and a STFU sandwich too if you like?
    STFU.

Hey, kids. I'm the mod of the Giving Up Smoking forum.
    I smoke 40 a day and have smoked for 21 years. That's almost two thirds of my life.

Now I wouldn't normally stick up for a far-ender, but in this case I will.

KBannon was guilty of drink driving in the past. He has admitted that it was a mistake. He no longer does it.
    20 years ago, the majority of car owning pub goers drove home. The law generally turned a blind eye to it.

I too have driven under the influence.
    I killed a couple of pigeons, but I would have hit them anyway. They flew into me. The deal with the pigeons is off.
    I was lucky that it was only pigeons that I hit.
    I was an idiot and have not driven in six years as punishment to myself. I don't feel that I deserve to drive until I am sure that I won't make the same mistake again.

As for the speeding thing, I only did it once on the M4 between Leixlip and maynooth. I wanted to see how fast my car could go (99MPH). Only time I ever broke the speed limit, but I still did it.

Anyone here who has never broken the speed limit and is baying for blood should just back out of this thread (at a reasonable speed).

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Thats fine and I respect your right to do so. Out of curiosity, did you report DesF's posts, given that you are a good boardsie?

I didn't report Desf's posts, but I didn't report yours either

actually I think it is quite ironic that the people on this thread complaining about a mob mentalitiy are generally the ones showing mob like characteristics.*

*this has nothing to do with the people actually debating the topic just the ones saying there is a mob after kbannon

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Anti wrote: »
    Can you honestly say you have never speeded in yoru life? Not even when late for work or in a rush to get somewhere. The reason i ask is, you would be the first person in the world ever. Get over yourself, and drop that holier then thou attitude.

i dont speed - full stop

i have seen the damage it has done

i am never late, i am one of those people who turn up an hour before they are supposed to be there. sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The "damage" caused by doing 65mph on a 60mph quiet dual carriageway is it? Because that's speeding too...

Please don't compare someone who does the above with an irresponsible fukwit who does 100mph on a main road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im not a mod and never have been so im not part of the [fight da poweh]mods supporting other mods in feedback posse[/fight da poweh]

its been said already, kbannon in my eyes is a good mod and has his hands full in the motors forum with the volume of traffic.

I think someone regardless of their stature on boards pointing out that the error of the ways is brave and he is afterall, not advocated drinking and driving.

His comment re speeding, well actually he is not alone with his view. Some of our judges in court agree with him. There was a court case about a year ago where a man was charged with dangerous driving as he was going something like 120/140mph on a dual carriageway. He was let away scot free. I dont have the transcript of the case no more but it went something like this.

Judge: Why is mr x charged with dangerous driving?
    Garda: He was doing 120mph in a 60mph zone.
    Judge: Was driving in traffic?
    Garda: No, it was ealry morning
    Judge: was there oncoming traffic?
    Garda: No
    Judge: Was he zigzagging on the road or driving irratically?
    Garda: No judge
    Judge: Then why is he being charged with dangerous driving?
    Garda: Ehhhhh cos he was doing 120 in a 60 zone.
    Judge: Why didnt you charge him for speeding so?
    Garda: ehhhhhhhhh

It was thrown out of court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

jsb wrote: »
    So should someone who admits that he use to drink and drive and still admits to breaking the law be a Mod of Learning to Drive.

Considering half the posts in there are about taking down your L-plates and driving around unaccompanied, he's in good company in that respect. As for the drinking thing, it was a different Ireland 20 years ago. My parents' generation would regularly drive home from the pub after 4 or 5 pints (effectively the legal limit at the time), yet today they would tell me I should never drive even after half a pint. Society changes and people change.

Dudess wrote: »
    Please don't compare someone who does the above with an irresponsible fukwit who does 100mph on a main road.

kbannon says I can drive at X speed and as I am a good enough driver I can maintain control of the car and as such it is still safe even though I am technically speeding.

Fukwit on learning to drive forum thinks well I'm a good driver aswell sure if kbannon can says it's cool once I know my limits it will be grand, sure he is the mod of the forum and knows what he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The "damage" caused by doing 65mph on a 60mph quiet dual carriageway is it? Because that's speeding too...

Ah come on now Dudess. Surely you don't want people to actually use their brains and common sense when it comes to road safety.

Better to just keep chanting the mantras. That'll sort things out. It hasn't worked so far, but sure it will one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Speed kills" is a great mantra. You can use it for both drugs and road safety scaremongering! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ok I've no allegiance to either side but from an outsider just stumbling upon this thread, let me see if I can summarize. A motors/learning to drive forum mod has admitted he drove drunk in the past (and regrets it knowing the consequences) and also that he drives over the speed limit but is willing to argue the process of speed limits in general, is that about it?

My 2c, I'd rather listen to someone with life experience than those who just believe everything they hear on the sensationalist propaganda machine that is RTE, the tabloids etc etc.

On that note, I have no objection to the guy at all. Always seemed to be of relatively sound mind in any posts I've read.

It's only t'internet people, try not to focus all your road rage on a forum looker-afterererer.

"Speed kills". Right so, I'd better not let my car go up to 63mph on a quiet dual carriageway because it would make me a killer.
    Seriously, common sense and logic, they're great you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Stark wrote: »
    As for the drinking thing, it was a different Ireland 20 years ago. My parents' generation would regularly drive home from the pub after 4 or 5 pints (effectively the legal limit at the time), yet today they would tell me I should never drive even after half a pint. Society changes and people change.

Sorry for singling your post out now but it's indicitive of a load of posts in this, and the other, thread.

I cannot stand this "defense". Just because it was the done thing - and btw I think people exaggerate just how many people actually did it - does not make it acceptable. In any way, shape or form. Full stop.

It was against the law then and is now. Someone with 5 pints in them then was likely to kill someone, as is someone with 5 pints in them now. People will say "but there's way more cars now". This does increase the risk, but it was as wrong to do so then as it is now. No difference. So can people please stop dragging up this ridiculous argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Stark wrote: »
    "Speed kills" is a great mantra. You can use it for both drugs and road safety scaremongering! :O
    Adds to sig.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    It was against the law then and is now. Someone with 5 points in them then was likely to kill someone, as is someone with 5 points in them now.
    People actually drink penalty points now? :eek:
    In that case, have you any Gay on tap?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Should he be demodded no, thread over.

Aside:
    Should he break the law, no. I know a lot of people break the speed limits here when they think it is fine and it looks to be. Have you ever been overtaken by somebody speeding and then see that they crashed further up the road, or seen somebody going by you speeding and hear that they died on the radio?
    I don't care if they kill themselves, it's the other people that die because of it that I am not au fait with. It is not an incredible outrage to be doing a bit over the limit but you have less of a response time and it only takes once for either you or another driver to make a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

nkay1985 wrote:
    It was against the law then and is now. Someone with 5 points in them then was likely to kill someone, as is someone with 5 points in them now.
    Savman wrote: »

Or how about being given PINTS at the roadside for speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Speeding on windey country roads and through built up areas and housing estates = no.
    Speeding on empty motorways and dual carriages = fair game, as far as I'm concerned. Only as a danger to yourself though.
    No point in comparing our roads to the autobahn but people manage to get through it in Germany every day without getting killed.

Duckjob wrote: »
    ROFL! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Savman wrote: »

That's mature. In my haste to rebuff a ridiculous argument I guess I got a little worked up and wasn't concentrating on my immaculate typing skills like yourself.

EDIT:
    Duckjob wrote: »

Grow up FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,706 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

javaboy wrote: »
    So the mod of the learning to drive forum admits that he used to drink and drive. He says it was stupid and dangerous and it was only by luck that he wasn't killed. He is now in a very good position to pass on what he has learned from his mistake to others.

As for the speeding thing, a huge amount of drivers in this country break the speed limits on the better roads such as dual carriageways and motorways. In many cases the limits are too low and should be adjusted. I doubt kbannon is advocating driving recklessly or dangerously. Anyone who has seen my posts on the motors forum will know that I am pretty much anti-speeding but there is a difference between a person who speeds recklessly and dangerously and a person who exceeds a speed limit which they reasonable consider to be too low.

If kbannon was still drink driving, there'd be a problem but he's not. If he was encouraging all learner drivers to speed outside schools and what not, there'd be a problem but he's not.

I don't agree with his position on speeding but it's not unreasonable and doesn't detract from his abilities to moderate the forum.

Also... rabble.
    "Speed kills". Right so, I'd better not let my car go up to 63mph on a quiet dual carriageway because it would make me a killer.
    Seriously, common sense and logic, they're great you know...

He was talking of regularly doing speeds of 150kph. Doesn't matter how good the conditions are, 'IF' something happens, you're fuked and are very likely to take others with you.

Should he be demodded no, thread over.

Should he be demodded? No. Thread over!

Tara, mod of Spell Czechs.

Terry, thrown out of school 17 years ago at the age of 15.

Reminds me of Lionel Hutz changing his business card from "First consultation free. No money down." to "First consultation free? No! Money down!"

I'm not defending anyone who does 150kph but what's getting to me is the way there are self appointed moral guardians getting up on their high horses about slight increases in speed on the dual carriageway/motorway.

Reminds me of Lionel Hutz changing his business card from "First consultation free. No money down." to "First consultation free? No! Money down!"

I'm not defending anyone who does 150kph but what's getting to me is the way there are self appointed moral guardians getting up on their high horses about slight increases in speed on the dual carriageway/motorway.
    Listen, use one system and stick to it.
    You're starting to confuse me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Terry wrote: »
    Should he be demodded? No. Thread over!

Tara, mod of Spell Czechs.

Terry, thrown out of school 17 years ago at the age of 15.

Partial sentences are not allowed in this here thread begarra!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

irishbird wrote: »
    i dont speed - full stop

i have seen the damage it has done

i am never late, i am one of those people who turn up an hour before they are supposed to be there. sorry

Congrats 2 u

9egjjeigtz8n0apscn6t.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement