Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long is it safe to keep raw chicken?

• 03-07-2008 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

Bought some fillets on friday and when I went to use them on monday they smelled off. Is this usual or were they a bit old when I bought them?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Was there no date on the packet/bag?

If they smell 'off' I wouldn't chance it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, if they're in the fridge I'd try to use them within 24 hours, or 48 at most. They were probably sitting in the fridge in the supermarket for a day or two also.

Freeze meat straight away if you don't plan on using it right after you bought it, to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Was there no date on the packet/bag?

If they smell 'off' I wouldn't chance it.

from the butchers so had no date and I put them in the fridge straight away.
    No, I wouldn't risk it but was thinking of saying something to the butcher.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

sweetie wrote: »
    from the butchers so had no date and I put them in the fridge straight away.
    No, I wouldn't risk it but was thinking of saying something to the butcher.

Do. They should be providing a 'use-by'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 thehungrysloth

OP, same thing happened to me about a year ago. Bought Tuesday, straight into fridge, smelled horrendous Friday so I binned them.
    Spoke to the butcher about it afterwards and he said 24 hours ideally, 48 hours max.
    In my case, I'd bought a good few & frozen the balance. He said that if any of the frozen ones smelled off he'd refund me for the lot.

My mistake so fair's fair I guess.

HS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

As Mr Magnolia wrote, It should have had a "use by date" on the label. If not your butcher is breaking the law. Here is a link to the food safety authority of Ireland web site with regards to labelling.

http://www.fsai.ie/publications/guidance_notes/gn17_p44_72.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You know that chicken is off when the flesh takes on a distinctly "slimy" feel. The pinkinsh colour will also become more opaque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Hill Billy wrote: »
    You know that chicken is off when the flesh takes on a distinctly "slimy" feel. The pinkinsh colour will also become more opaque.

..or if it smells like fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I'd expect meat to last 3 days, I would think it bad form for a butcher to sell meat that needs to be used within a day, or even two. I hate buying anything that doesn't have a use-by date on it, especially meat because it can be so dangerous to eat meat that has gone off. Sometimes it's hard to judge by smell only, no raw meat smells nice, but if it's gone off you'll know, you won't need to sniff it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

sweetie wrote: »
    ..or if it smells like fish!

Smells like fish, but tastes like chicken?
    That's something else entirely! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Faith wrote: »
    Yeah, if they're in the fridge I'd try to use them within 24 hours, or 48 at most. They were probably sitting in the fridge in the supermarket for a day or two also.

Freeze meat straight away if you don't plan on using it right after you bought it, to be safe.

Or if you buy fresh chicken fillets cook them up and they should last longer in fridge or freezer and can be reheated without losing taste/quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Or if you buy fresh chicken fillets cook them up and they should last longer in fridge or freezer and can be reheated without losing taste/quality.
    Yep. I would keep mine 3 days max. I go to butchers for deals at the weekend, I might get 10 or 20 fillets, cook a load up for the week and chill immediately and freeze or put in the fridge, and save some fresh ones for the next few days.

I imagine many butchers will buy in bulk once a week so you could ask when they come in. You might be unlucky and get fobbed off with ones about to go off, I am sure the butcher might have fresher ones, and just like any shop will put old stuff to the front of the pile so it sells first. In which case you could tell them before you are even served "I do not plan on using these until 3 days, will they be OK?" and they will probably pick out the freshest ones.

Advertisement