Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

high mileage

Options
  • 03-07-2008 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hello,
    quick question, I'm thinking of buying a hyundai accent 1998, its has 200,000 miles on the clock, is this savage high miles? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is that miles or km , if miles. yes its ridiculously high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aes Sedai

cheers listermint, I thought so myself but wanted second opinion, I'll leave it so

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Walk away or sprint, whichever you feel is necessary:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I have a 97 Tigra which I've had since she was born and her mileage is crazy at 140,000 miles so yes, sprint as fast as you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Mileage affects the value of the car - that car is worth peanuts. But it may still be a decent car, get the car checked out well by someone who knows what they're doing and you may get a bargain that will do you for a while. If it has been well driven/maintained and had some wearing parts replaced recently it's likley to be a better car than an abused car with 150k less on it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hyundai Accents are not decent cars IMHO.
    They are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

With some cars as the mileage goes up on them if something hasn't broken it's not going to break! For example that car has done 200K already, the OP might get another 20K out of it with no problems...

In my 10 years of driving the more reliable cars i've had seem to be the higher mileage ones....

But as the others above have said a 10 year old car with 200K is worth very little... if it has an NCT (valid for the next year) and you could get for €300 - €400 it might be worth it. And as others have said get it checked out, also make sure timing belt / water pump has been done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

you would have to been born with no brain to want to buy a 97 accent with 200,000 miles ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

legs11 wrote: »
    you would have to been born with no brain to want to buy a 97 accent with 200,000 miles ffs.

I'd say if you get it for less than €500 it isn't so bad. If it has NCT for 1 year+ you can use it for the year and then try re-NCTing it / throw it away / sell it on. It'll have a lot less depreciation than most people suffer each year. And if it does kick it inside the year then it's only a few 100 euro anyway. Not the end of the world.

But it'd need to be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If it's taxed, NCT'd, serviced, and has 4 good tyres, it's probably worth a punt at €300. Other than that, forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

bman wrote: »
    I'd say if you get it for less than €500 it isn't so bad. If it has NCT for 1 year+ you can use it for the year and then try re-NCTing it / throw it away / sell it on. It'll have a lot less depreciation than most people suffer each year. And if it does kick it inside the year then it's only a few 100 euro anyway. Not the end of the world.

But it'd need to be cheap.

+1

And let me highlight the part I think is most important:
    bman wrote: »
    It'll have a lot less depreciation than most people suffer each year.

If you get it for €500, then that's as much depreciation as you'll ever suffer on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I personally wouldn't go near an accent if it had 200miles on the clock, let alone 200,000miles! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

+1. And what does savage mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nemoid

200,000 on a Hyundai...run run very fast in the opposite direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It also depends what sort of 200k miles it is! open road or dublin traffic? 200k of open road driving in 5th gear is completely different from 200k in gridlock.

If it has a decent NCT it could be a fine bargain for someone. There's no reason it'll stop running just because a change of onership form has been signed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The Accent is/was a mediocre car to begin with... 200k miles and 10 years later, its not worth peanuts as others have pointed out, scrap value!
    That said, its probably got a bit of life left in it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I had a '97 Civic - bought new - and racked up 240K over 9 years. Never cost me a cent and got 3500 Euro on trade in a couple of years ago (thought the dealer was mad and snapped the hand off of her). It was sold within 2 days as well.

So 200K might not be the end of the world so long as it was well looked after and doesn't cost very much. The problem is that you dont have a history and the risk is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I wouldnt go near any car with 200K on.
    therse plenty of cars out there under a grand with half the miles and NCT and most would be better options than an Accent let alone one with 200K

Advertisement