Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance xlsx can be added to attachments?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think anything that could potencially execute just from clicking the link is blocked. That would fall under it.

Just zip up the file and attach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its just an 2007 excel file format, it doesnt save in xls format anymore unless in compatibility mode.

I tried putting it in zip format but that scans the zip and says the file in it isnt allowed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

You can get macro viruses for those file types I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

You can indeed. Can XLS and ideally also ZIP be taken off the list of allowed attachments?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It doesnt have to be removed - if CuLT has the time, he should be able to implement a system where they are allowed but made sure they are valid. A similar exploit can be done with JPGs (or was it GIF, I cant remember).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

so excel docs arwe not allowd due to risks but zips are?
    that makes no sense :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cabaal wrote: »
    so excel docs arwe not allowd due to risks but zips are?
    that makes no sense :)

Some have a greater risk - but I do believe that not all forum systems block this file type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

xlsx should not be allowed on principle. Perhaps Open standards should be promoted by boards.ie??

.odt for word processing (text) documents
    .ods for spreadsheets
    .odp for presentations
    .odg for graphics
    .odf for formulae,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

xlsx should not be allowed on principle. Perhaps Open standards should be promoted by boards.ie??

What principle is that? If it's because it's a security issue then I can see why it shouldn't be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

xlsx, docx etc are formats created by Microsoft. There are numerous articles on the internet of Microsoft using bully like tactics to have it adopted. Here is one example in India.

Many companies have said no to it. Here is what google have said.

We should embrace open standards such as the open document format so that everyone is on a level playing field.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well I think boards should allow file types if the benefits to the user outweigh the risks to the user (that's why I mentioned a security risk above). Removing the ability to upload a certain file type just because Microsoft is being a cúnt is a pretty crappy reason in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

xlsx, docx etc are formats created by Microsoft. There are numerous articles on the internet of Microsoft using bully like tactics to have it adopted. Here is one example in India.

Many companies have said no to it. Here is what google have said.

We should embrace open standards such as the open document format so that everyone is on a level playing field.

While I admire the spirit, the simple fact is most people use MS for their Office applications, the revolution doesn't need to be fought here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    The simple fact is most people use MS for their Office applications, the revolution doesn't need to be fought here.

Actually that is changing quite fast. Open Office is free and saves/reads MS office formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Supercell wrote: »
    While I admire the spirit, the simple fact is most people use MS for their Office applications, the revolution doesn't need to be fought here.
    The funny thing is: unless you have 2007, or the 27.5MB specific update to allow you to open the *.*x files, whoever you send the file to won't be able to open it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement