Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RSI: Clutch

• 03-07-2008 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭

Lads,

I think I'm getting RS-feckin-I from clutching.

I clocked up a lot of miles on the bike over the weekend, and when I wasn't doing that I was either hammering a guitar, a piano or the keyboard on my PC.

Now my forearm muscles give me these irritating twinges of pain. I'm worried it'll get worse unless I take some time off!

Focus: Have you ever developed mild/severe RSI from clutching, and is there anything you do to yourself or the bike to relieve it?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What bike are you on, sports, cruiser etc? Just so theres an idea of what your riding position is and all that.

You can get a cheap cruise control tab for the throttle which helps with that, Im not sure about the clutch, but Im going to ask the powers that be here who have done lots of long stints what they reckon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

If you want to go to extremes, buy an automatic bike. They're great!

(But I've got an Aprilia Mana, so I would say that.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably just a matter of overdoing it during the weekend. I can remember having a sore left hand when I was stuck in traffic for an exceptionally long time once.

Is your clutch particularly stiff? You could have a look at the cable and the levers to see if they need greasing up to relieve the amount of effort you need to do.

Also, try switch to neutral and release the clutch every time you stop. Holding it in at the lights won't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I got pain in my left arm in the last couple of days of the first big tour I did on my CBR600. Went away on the same bike lots times over the next few years and never had any trouble. I had been just holding the bars too tight. Also flying through Welsh back roads in the dark trying to make the ferry didn't help either.

Relax, it really works and you will have better control too

If your clutch lever doesn't adjust and the span is too wide for you, you might be able to find an adjustable aftermarket lever, or a lever off a different model of bike that fits.

If the bike really doesn't fit you then maybe try different bars, or a different bike :(

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

wrist strain...:P

sorry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I drive a Duc with a dry clutch, this happens to me if I get stuck in traffic. Give it a day and you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

yeah it's gone now thank jesus. thought it'd never go away.

i change the angle the clutch was pointing at. i'm on a marauder so it's at an angle that'd give you rsi in a big way over time. oh and i started clutching less. ;)

Advertisement