Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Focus Cayo or Planet X?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

itsnot about the groupset or the components. start with a solid frame and everything else can be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

See blorg and BUACHAILL's posts on both these bikes.

I have to declare an interest, I made the decision yesterday (after reading blorg's comments and words of encouragement from TinyExpolsions) to go for the Cayo.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

unionman wrote: »
    I made the decision yesterday (after reading Blorg's comments) to go for the Cayo.:)

*ahem* :eek:

You won't regret it sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Going for the same myself, just trying to see if Wiggle can order me in a 63cm frame...they've discontinued selling their 'XXL' (60cm) so my chances of them agreeing to it are pretty slim!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

*ahem* :eek:

You won't regret it sir!

See my edit! I gave you credit...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

I couldnt decide between them so in the end went with what i thought looked better, sad i know but there ya go... Planet x in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Going for the same myself, just trying to see if Wiggle can order me in a 63cm frame...they've discontinued selling their 'XXL' (60cm) so my chances of them agreeing to it are pretty slim!

I might have a problem then with the Focus as I'm 6ft 4in and I'd probably need the 63cm - need to get measured up first thou.

Anyone know if the online measuring calculators are reliable?

keith123 wrote: »
    I might have a problem then with the Focus as I'm 6ft 4in and I'd probably need the 63cm - need to get measured up first thou.

Anyone know if the online measuring calculators are reliable?

The wiggle one worked out ok for me

I got myself measured up for my previous bike in Cyclogical. I'd probably feel safer spending money knowing I'd been measured up by someone in person - for example I'm 6ft5" but my height is in my torso rather than my legs (not that I look out of proportion!)

As I said in my 'bike got swiped' thread, wiggle were no help when I asked them could they either order me one in or point me in the direction of someone on the mainland I could get it from (Wiggle being the only UK supplier of Focus) but they were no help with either so I'm pretty much stuck...

Just read your bike being swiped thread... sorry you got robbed.

I know the Focus bikes come from Germany if thats any help, maybe not.
    I'm gonna check now with them to see if my measurements will suite the sizes they have left.

Might be in the same boat as yourself :/

• Advertisement

I got myself measured up for my previous bike in Cyclogical. I'd probably feel safer spending money knowing I'd been measured up by someone in person - for example I'm 6ft5" but my height is in my torso rather than my legs (not that I look out of proportion!)

As I said in my 'bike got swiped' thread, wiggle were no help when I asked them could they either order me one in or point me in the direction of someone on the mainland I could get it from (Wiggle being the only UK supplier of Focus) but they were no help with either so I'm pretty much stuck...

Try emailling Focus direct? Or have a look at Canyon bikes -that was my second choice when I got the focus

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I doubt Wiggle will order something in for you. One of the reasons I went for the Cayo was that I knew the geometry was roughly comparable to something I knew I was happy with. Either are great bikes, the Planet X is very appealing too.

I checked some EU prices when ordering my Focus from Wiggle; they are _substantially_ higher than Wiggle (€1,300 vs. €1,900/€2,000 for the Cayo.)

Just looked up Focus website - it's a big mix of Germo-English so pretty hard to get around. The 'kontakt' link doesn't work so I found some other email adress under 'impressum' and sent them my query instead...hopefully they're connected to Focus in some way...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Seems to be part of the boards kit now, you must have the jersey and a Focus Cayo...damn! Can I still be in the team?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i put a hole in my boards jersey last monday :-(

blorg wrote: »
    I doubt Wiggle will order something in for you. One of the reasons I went for the Cayo was that I knew the geometry was roughly comparable to something I knew I was happy with. Either are great bikes, the Planet X is very appealing too.

I checked some EU prices when ordering my Focus from Wiggle; they are _substantially_ higher than Wiggle (€1,300 vs. €1,900/€2,000 for the Cayo.)

The Planet X website is impossible for me to understand. I've never been an accessories nerd so never really understood what's worth paying for etc etc. Having a list of choices just confuses the crap out of me...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

The Planet X website is impossible for me to understand. I've never been an accessories nerd so never really understood what's worth paying for etc etc. Having a list of choices just confuses the crap out of me...:confused:

Fully agree - it's pretty offputting for the novice as you really need to know what you're after for every specific component.

Have to say both of these look like fantastic bikes for the money and if I thought I'd get a decent price for the Giant SCR 2.0 I bought 6 months back, I'd defo go for one of these 2. Will probably let the head overrule me on it though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Bambaata wrote: »
    i put a hole in my boards jersey last monday :-(

Don't worry. I think it was Blorg who ironed his and put new iron shaped vents in it. Sorry Blorg.

There's a moral in there somewhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That is true, but TBH I'd appreciate being able to upgrade stuff at the point of sale that I'd want to upgrade anyway. Even on the base Planet X build there are several things I'd upgrade straight away, starting with the tyres. There is an argument in general that buying online is best in general if you already have a good idea of what you want.

Well, looks like I'll be going Planet X - got a quick reply from Focus saying the 62cm frame is completely sold out. Now I just need to figure out what parts are worth buying...

• Advertisement

you seem to get quick replies - they haven't come back to me at all!

what email did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

my bike arrived today from Planet x. I upgraded all my gearing to Dura Ace only to find that the crankset is a FSA. There was no options for cranksets etc so on a Dura Ace offer you assume it will be Dura Ace.

They replied saying no lok at the picture yet you cant see what make it is in the picture and is unwilling to do anything for me. Not great service considering I spent €1500 in his shop.

I recommend elsewhere

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    my bike arrived today from Planet x. I upgraded all my gearing to Dura Ace only to find that the crankset is a FSA. There was no options for cranksets etc so on a Dura Ace offer you assume it will be Dura Ace.

They replied saying no lok at the picture yet you cant see what make it is in the picture and is unwilling to do anything for me. Not great service considering I spent €1500 in his shop.

I recommend elsewhere

I'm new to this bike buying - Whats with the difference upgrading to Dura Ace over whats standard on it already. I'm thinking of getting a Planet X bike too but what you point out wouldn't bother me or is there something I should know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Bit dramatic there Buachaill. Its clearly not Dura Ace in the picture. Its black for a start, Dura Ace is silver (FSA cranksets are fine by the way, I rode the etape on one). I agree the contents of the build kit should be mentioned (they are somewhere on this site and used to be more prominent till they did the redesign), I guess thats why they say buying from the web is only for people who are sure of what they are doing.... You should relax though, you still got a great deal, get out there and enjoy it.

Keith123, Dura Ace Cranks = more expensive, slightly lighter, Stiffer. The few grams saved will not matter, the stiffness won't be an issue unless you are Tom Boonen and even at that you won't notice. I ride Dura Ace Cranks, love them. Rode FSA cranks for a long time, loved them too.

The standard Planet X build kit has PlanetX branded Stems, Bars, Seatpost and Saddle (all good quality and light). FSA cranks and planet x wheels are also standard, again pretty standard mid-range stuff. The only Dura Ace parts are the shifters and derailleurs. The chain and cassette are 105, which again are fine.

All in its a fine race ready bike that you can upgrade to your hearts content or ride as is and ride to a very high standard, it wouldn't stop you winning a pro race right out of the box. The same could be said of the Focus and most other bikes of similar spec. It could be worse, you could be spending twice as much on a trek covered in Bontrager parts !

I have no bias in any of this by the way, I ride a Cervelo R3 SL and a Trek 5500, both full dura ace with mavic wheels. I have a set of planetx cages and wheels, found their service great and am considering a Stealth TT frameset at the minute.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Did you ask for Dura Ace cranks? I don't see any box there to be ticked for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lilphich

Try emailling Focus direct? Or have a look at Canyon bikes -that was my second choice when I got the focus

For the sizes that you are looking at canyon would be good. I looked at canyon for a 54 or a 55 cm frame but the wait time was somewhere in the new year as they were completely sold out. There seems to be more in stock of the xxl bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

BUACHAILL wrote: »

I recommend elsewhere

FSA ain't bad stuff. Don't worry too much about it. Dura Ace stuff is due to come down in price when it's updated 2009 stuff come through this autumn and you could pick yourself one cheaper then to match your gruppo. You still got a great bike for your money.

keith123 wrote: »
    you seem to get quick replies - they haven't come back to me at all!

what email did you use?

I went directly to Focus on: info@derby-cycle.de and found them helpful.

Found Wiggle have 60cm Focus Cayo triple coming in mid July but not sure that'd fit me...will be doing leg measurements etc this evening!

Cheers for the email - they just got back to me a few mins ago.
    There looking for me to remeasure my inseam - was too small first time.

Yeah I saw that Triple version was going to be available in mid-july
    Could be a good alternative to go for - around 90% the same as the normal cayo.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd probably just convert it to a double, no big deal. It's either that or destroy my head trying to go through the Planet X options...all I want is a decent bike to get on the road again!!

Advertisement