Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Focus Cayo or Planet X?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Your a wealth of information today blorg - thanks.

I would like the bling wheels (Planet X B) but would my 84kg 6ft 4in thin build be ok on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

keith123 wrote: »
    Your a wealth of information today blorg - thanks.

I would like the bling wheels (Planet X B) but would my 84kg 6ft 4in thin build be ok on them?
    I would imagine you would be fine- even manufacturers that specify weight limits on light wheels tend to specify over 90kg or so (and AFAIK there is no specified weight limit on the model B.) You could ask Planet X for advice as to what would be best for you.

yeah they told me I should be ok - they also said the B's for racing and the C's for training. The only difference between them is the spokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Thanks for the help Blorg! Having a bit of difficulty with them as I need the XL build kit but with a 130mm stem (my stupid long body!) but the guy in Planet X I'm in contact with is saying he won't include the longer stem in the dura ace offer - I'll have to go through the custom build (which adds numerous £100's to the price tag!)

Trying to get him to include it - otherwise I'm better off getting the dura ace offer and buying the longer stem seperate, ending up with a spare 120mm stem, which is just stupid :rolleyes:

Edit: Yep, looks like that's what I'm having to do! Anybody on the market for a 120mm stem...?

Thanks for the help Blorg! Having a bit of difficulty with them as I need the XL build kit but with a 130mm stem (my stupid long body!) but the guy in Planet X I'm in contact with is saying he won't include the longer stem in the dura ace offer - I'll have to go through the custom build (which adds numerous £100's to the price tag!)

Trying to get him to include it - otherwise I'm better off getting the dura ace offer and buying the longer stem seperate, ending up with a spare 120mm stem, which is just stupid :rolleyes:

How did you find out the stem is too short for you?
    It might be the same for me too.

I just told the guy I was in touch with that my inseam was 92cm

• Advertisement

How did you find out the stem is too short for you?
    It might be the same for me too.

I just told the guy I was in touch with that my inseam was 92cm

Just from sizing for my previous bike etc. My inseam is 95.25 which isn't very long for somebody who's 6ft 5".

You lads are monsters! A stem is not very expensive, I'd just take whatever and swap it if you need to. I have an old ITM 130mm you are welcome to but it is fairly scratched up from wrapping a lock around and would not look great on your shiny new bike! You're welcome to it to test the fit though.

Probably best get the 120 just in case it might fit you although you might find it easier to sell a 110 (TBH though you are not going to get much for a standard Planet X stem anyway so it's pretty immaterial.)

blorg wrote: »
    You lads are monsters! A stem is not very expensive, I'd just take whatever and swap it if you need to. I have an old ITM 130mm you are welcome to but it is fairly scratched up from wrapping a lock around and would not look great on your shiny new bike! You're welcome to it to test the fit though.

Probably best get the 120 just in case it might fit you although you might find it easier to sell a 110 (TBH though you are not going to get much for a standard Planet X stem anyway so it's pretty immaterial.)

Thanks for the offer blorg, I'll just go ahead and order the 130mm planet x stem...I'm itching to finish all this messing around and emailing and just get on the bike!

Being a monster is a heavy cross to bear...

Best make your choice on the build kit entirely on what handlebar width you need then as the cranks are 175 in both cases. This should roughly be your shoulder width- if you have an existing bike that you are happy with, go with the same as you have now. The measurement is center to center.

Bike has finally arrived!! Skipping off the end of work to go play with it...Back on the roads at last :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Bike has finally arrived!! Skipping off the end of work to go play with it...Back on the roads at last :D:D:D

Nice one!

Let me know how the fit is as I'm similiar to your height.
    What size did you get? An extras? Any pics :)

Nice one!

Let me know how the fit is as I'm similiar to your height.
    What size did you get? An extras? Any pics :)

Got an XL with a 130mm stem as they only include a 120mm with the build kit. I'll try get some photos up in the next couple of days. It's in the family house so I'm going to leg it down there in the next 10 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Have fun!

Hoping to see my Cayo delivered tomorrow or Thursday. Can't wait:):)

Went for a good 75km spin out through Enniskerry (probably could have been 10km less if we hadn't got horribly lost!) yesterday evening.

My god do I regret getting the Planet X stock saddle...absolute ass hatchet, I've never been in so much pain in that area before!

Saddles are a very personal thing and easy to change. Are you still coming out tonight? Would be nice to see you and your shiny new bike!

blorg wrote: »
    Saddles are a very personal thing and easy to change. Are you still coming out tonight? Would be nice to see you and your shiny new bike!

I may not be coming out tonight, already said I'd go with another group if they're going but otherwise I'm all up for the Boards crew outing.

Won't be going out at all if I can't sort myself a different saddle though...pretty traumatised after yesterday evening :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

remember that with any saddle, your arse still has to acclimatise to 75km cycles so I wouldn't go blaming the saddle just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

yup you're gouing to feel it if you havent been cycling that distance much. the first week on a bike after a prolonged layoff is going to hurt

Thanks - I'll know not to order that saddle then ;)

How was the fit? Did the 130mm stem make any difference?
    Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of it....

Bambaata wrote: »
    yup you're gouing to feel it if you havent been cycling that distance much. the first week on a bike after a prolonged layoff is going to hurt

I've done longer distances after longer lay-offs and I'm telling you - that saddle feels like you're sitting on stone...

130mm stem felt comfortable, didn't feel too stretched and there was no lower back twinge at all so reckon I probably got that choice right. I have pics of the bike on my phone but can't find a USB cable in work anywhere to put them up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

you should get yourself this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

I had the same issue with the Focus Cayo saddle. Just didn't work for me at all. Used some spare Bontrager/Specialized saddles I had hanging around until I got my Brooks Swallow.

Love it! :pac:

I've done longer distances after longer lay-offs and I'm telling you - that saddle feels like you're sitting on stone...

130mm stem felt comfortable, didn't feel too stretched and there was no lower back twinge at all so reckon I probably got that choice right. I have pics of the bike on my phone but can't find a USB cable in work anywhere to put them up...

you can text me the pics and I'll put them up for you if you want :)

:D Reckon that'd be a step up anyway! I remember people telling me how horrible the stock Bontrager saddle was on my old Trek 1000 but never had any problems with it at all so could well just be my skinny ass complaining about a lack of natural padding.

Keith, fingers crossed you're not a pervert - PM me your number and I'll send the pic on, you seem eager for it!

I did the Wicklow 200 on a Bontrager Select saddle last year and it was fine.

It's not necessarily a straight issue of padding/not padding- the stock saddle with the Cayo is a skinny very slightly padded design which I didn't like at all but I am perfectly happy with my three completely unpadded Brooks saddles. You need something that fits you and supports your sit bones.

:D Reckon that'd be a step up anyway! I remember people telling me how horrible the stock Bontrager saddle was on my old Trek 1000 but never had any problems with it at all so could well just be my skinny ass complaining about a lack of natural padding.

Keith, fingers crossed you're not a pervert - PM me your number and I'll send the pic on, you seem eager for it!

Got the photo - thought it would be good quality (no offence to your phone! )
    Here it is anyway for all to see. Looks great, I think I'll go for the blue frame myself.

http://www.iol.ie/~acdesigns/planetx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ooh, looks nice in blue. When I was thinking about getting one I was very tempted by the white, blue looks very nice though!

Phone made me resize it for sending which is why the quality is sh!te. Photo taken before I lowered the saddle into position, I'm not really 7ft tall...not quite!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lilphich

Does anyone know of a lbs that will allow you to take the saddles for test rides? My stock saddle that I got on my boardman kills me +50km's.

Advertisement