Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

IBM Genographic Project

• 03-07-2008 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Link

Just wondering if anyone has sent a sample of their DNA to this project?
    If so, what routes did your ancestors take in arriving at your present location? Were you surprised?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Sample of DNA?? As in draining a few of your kids into a tube and sending it off?? No thanks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

$100?! Nahh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭reregholdsworth

You never know, this kind of project could be the answer to all of wee Roisin's problems.

(see other thread)

I dunno about you but I am a little interested to find out what my distant ancestral origins are.
    Thing is, I'd probably pay my money and then find out there's no unusual genetic skeletons in the cupboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'd probably pay my money and then find out there's no unusual genetic skeletons in the cupboard.
    You related to Fritzl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭reregholdsworth

why, what would you do if i was?
    set up a shrine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I sent my sample off today, I will have to wait a month or so before I get my results. I think it would be interesting to know where my ancestors came from. You can only do one family line per test (either direct maternal ancestors or direct paternal ancestors - I chose paternal), so it will give only a very narrow branch of my family tree but it will still be good to know where my Y chromosome has been. If the results are interesting I will get my mother's line done also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Dave! wrote: »
    $100?! Nahh!

What's that worth these days, a couple of pints and a packet of crisps?

Got my results back today. My Y chromosome's migratory journey:

050mapym5.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

No surprises there then I imagine Charco :)

I sent mine off 3 weeks ago. ope to have some news soon.

Ponster wrote: »
    No surprises there then I imagine Charco :)

I sent mine off 3 weeks ago. ope to have some news soon.

If by soon you mean another 3 or 4 weeks then you will indeed have them soon. It got frustrating near the end, I was logging in most days and it seemed to be making no progress.

I'd say my map is a pretty standard migratory path of modern Europeans, I was going to get my maternal line done as well but I don't want to spend my money just to get the exact same map back again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement