Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesbian / Gay women and survivors of sexual abuse?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have wondered through my own experiences and that of several close friends whether a study has been done into a possible connection between sexual abuse suffered in childhhood or teenage years and women who identify as gay /lesbian.

I am not for one minute insinuating that this somehow makes a person gay NOR that every gay / lesbian woman has been abused.

However, from my own experience and talking and sharing with others, there seems to be a significant trend in our childhood / teenage experiences.
    I would be very interested in reading any exploratory reports or studies done on this (if at all) and your opinions... thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Well it doesn't directly answer your question, but since you explicitly referenced women, some studies have shown that while male homosexuality is most likely pre-natal, that female homosexuality may not be, and is possibly a circumstantial thing.

That's just something I've read though. It might or might not be fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Yes, its an interesting way of looking at things alright. I haven't managed to locate any definate articles or reading material on the matter specifically. It just struck me as quite an apparent thread between 4 friends - I wondered if it exists in the wider community as a whole?..

Advertisement