Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do I learn driving without going broke?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I have a provisional license (scored a full 40) and took about 5 driving classes in Dublin + driving classes while on vacation in a different country where it was cheaper.

My driving is ok, I can handle the car comfortably, but need to build up my confidence especially with reversing & parking.

I planned to buy a car to practice until I book my driving test but with the new rules I cant drive it by myself. I have been in Dublin just 3 years and don't know anyone who has a permanent license to accompany me.

I can't afford to shell out 40Euros an hour on more lessons, what can I do?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

tintar wrote: »
    I have a provisional license (scored a full 40) and took about 5 driving classes in Dublin + driving classes while on vacation in a different country where it was cheaper.

My driving is ok, I can handle the car comfortably, but need to build up my confidence especially with reversing & parking.

I planned to buy a car to practice until I book my driving test but with the new rules I cant drive it by myself. I have been in Dublin just 3 years and don't know anyone who has a permanent license to accompany me.

I can't afford to shell out 40Euros an hour on more lessons, what can I do?

Thanks.

If you cant afford to shell out for lessons then you can't afford to run a car in dublin.

I would recommend if its that much cheaper in your home country that you go home and get your license there. This is quite common for English Expats in Holland as its quite expensive here too.

EDIT: Wait, 'Vacation' are you American. ... Well in that case your pretty much boned ! .. them be the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

+1 on the cost factor.

If you can't afford lessons, how could you afford car + insurance + tax + petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

In fairness the cost of running a car would be less than the cost of a few lessons a week. If you were to do 3 lessons a week, €160. Run a car at that rate, including Tax, Insurance and fuel (depending on milage) = €160 X 52 = €8,320. Most people with a first car would pay a lot say 2 - 3k for the car, 2k insurance and what €200 to tax, €5300 plus fuel.

OP, €40 sounds cheap, places in Mullingar were charging €50+ per lesson. Would anyone in work / college help out? Do you have family / friends outside of Dublin that could help?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

moved from motors

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tintar

I have some savings set aside for the car, say a 2001 Punto 1.2 works out to 2000 + 1200 for the insurance = 3200 Euros

If I hire an instructor from ISM it works out to 380 Euros for only 10 hours. They charge the same even if its in my own car and fuel.

I asked this question to some colleagues but they have no ideas except going for lessons. Unfortunately no family here, and no friends with permanent licences.

The cheaper classes were taken while on an Asian tour, I could survive on those streets without any incident, and believe me Dublin traffic is very civilised!

PS: Thanks to the Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

tintar wrote: »
    I have some savings set aside for the car, say a 2001 Punto 1.2 works out to 2000 + 1200 for the insurance = 3200 Euros

If I hire an instructor from ISM it works out to 380 Euros for only 10 hours. They charge the same even if its in my own car and fuel.

I asked this question to some colleagues but they have no ideas except going for lessons. Unfortunately no family here, and no friends with permanent licences.

The cheaper classes were taken while on an Asian tour, I could survive on those streets without any incident, and believe me Dublin traffic is very civilised!

PS: Thanks to the Mod

If your willing to go down the country a bit, i did 10 lessons with a driving school for €280...

Where was this? Is it in Dublin county or much further south?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

In fairness the cost of running a car would be less than the cost of a few lessons a week. If you were to do 3 lessons a week, €160. Run a car at that rate, including Tax, Insurance and fuel (depending on milage) = €160 X 52 = €8,320. Most people with a first car would pay a lot say 2 - 3k for the car, 2k insurance and what €200 to tax, €5300 plus fuel.

but having a car in Dublin you have to add the parking factor, one of the reasons I didn't learn to drive while living in Dublin. The cost of parking in Dublin has become insane, the few places you can park for free you need to be at an ungodly hour in the morning so depending were you live and were your driving the car to it could cost a fair few euros.

I'm lucky to have a parking spot in the driveway of the shared house where I live, so thats not a problem. I know I'm fortunate, a colleague had to rent out an underground parking spot for 55 Euros a month which is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP, €40 sounds cheap, places in Mullingar were charging €50+ per lesson. Would anyone in work / college help out? Do you have family / friends outside of Dublin that could help?

Nobody would get 156 driving lessons in a year, so your maths doesn't really make sense. If you were to get 20 lessons, on top of the 5 already done that would be €800 more. Much cheaper than car expenses for a year. OP, you may not even require 20 lessons, get a few lessons and apply for your test if you feel ready and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭peachystarr

I think you should book your test, when you get the letter with the date (usually about a months notice) get your lessons then, get 10-15 (you might not even need that many if you already have the skill to drive, you would just have to perfect it) intensive lessons, if you have some savings spend them, no point having them to buy a car that you cant drive so jus spend the money and get your licence then keep saving and get a car when you can afford it.

Oh yea, are you sure first time insurance with no driving experience would only be €1200, did you get a quote or is this a guess because i would imagine it would be somewhat higher than this??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Oh yea, are you sure first time insurance with no driving experience would only be €1200, did you get a quote or is this a guess because i would imagine it would be somewhat higher than this??
    My insurance was only 940 fully comp, no driving experience. depends on a lot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

(usually about a months notice)

It can be a lot shorter than that, so i would recommend getting lessons before getting your notice of test date.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.aaireland.ie/toptips/costofmotoring2005.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Without a qualified person to accompany you, a car is essentially useless to you for general driving until you pass. (as it should be.)

I did my learning and passed without owning a car, with very little spare cash and no family/friends to assist.
    20 lessons, passed first time, no bad habits to fix.

Find a good instructer.
    Money only spent on lessons, no car tax, no petrol, no insurance, no VRT, no parking cost/fines, no repairs, maintenance or servicing, no scratches or scrapes, dents or punctures.

That is what I would suggest is the cheapest way to learn.
    When you pass, you know exactly how much you have to spend on a car, no thinking about lessons, retrictions etc.

Advertisement