Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Brotherly Love" and the boundary extension

• 03-07-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

What's the story with the boundary extension proposal?

Last I heard, it was still before the minister (John Gormley I presume) and hadn't been withdrawn.

However, I'm reading this morning in the Kilkenny Voice, that since a Kilmacow man, Jack Walsh, has been elected mayor of Waterford, and his brother Tomás Breatnach has been elected chairman of Kilkenny County Council, they are - and I quote - "set to play a pivotal role in bringing peace to a bitter land war".

I've never been to a war zone, so who am I to pontificate? But I really think journalists should cop on to themselves and not use a word like "war" to describe what is nothing more than a minor dispute over an administrative boundary. I'm sure the inhabitants of Fallujah would love to live in Belmont Heights and have nothing more to worry about than bin collections and hurling jerseys.

Exaggerations aside though, what does this mean for the boundary extension proposal? Will the new mayor seek to withdraw it? Does he have a duty to act in the best interests of the city? Would withdrawing the proposal be in conflict with his role? Am I being unfair in prejudging his opinion based on his address?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

anything at this time is pure speculation in fairness...nobody knows yet basically :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Cabaal wrote: »
    anything at this time is pure speculation in fairness...nobody knows yet basically :)

And in fairness Cabaal, I'm not looking for the facts, just the speculation! :D

Advertisement