Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domenech to stay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,439 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Saw that earlier, had to laugh. The French enjoy being miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Given the strength of France's squad, and their general ambitions, is this worse than had the FAI kept Stan on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I actually can't believe that.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Hilarious. Slightly ot, but is it true that he proposed to his girlfriend live on TV after France went out, or did I just imagine that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Given the strength of France's squad, and their general ambitions, is this worse than had the FAI kept Stan on?

I think so, I mean stan was hopelessly out of his depth but Domenech seems at times like he's slowly going insane! I wonder how many of the French players might considering retiring after this news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Obviously Libra was rising in Virgo or something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

What's even more shocking is that, on ssn, they said that out of the 19 members of the FFA, only 1 :eek: voted in favour of sacking him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,850 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Joke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

What's even more shocking is that, on ssn, they said that out of the 19 members of the FFA, only 1 :eek: voted in favour of sacking him.

madness. but then again this wouldn't be the first time they've made a daft decision. huge levels of cronyism in that association from what i gather.

I'm pissed off myself. i was hoping they'd get a manager in (as opposed to astrologer). they've got some great young talent in their ranks, i was really hoping for someone who might be a boon to the development of Benzema, Nasri, Ben Arfa et al. now i fear they'll never return to the force they were :(.

carlop wrote: »
    I think so, I mean stan was hopelessly out of his depth but Domenech seems at times like he's slowly going insane! I wonder how many of the French players might considering retiring after this news?

U cant retitre under Domenech, ask Claude Makelele.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wreck wrote: »
    Hilarious. Slightly ot, but is it true that he proposed to his girlfriend live on TV after France went out, or did I just imagine that?

Yeah. She didn't say yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i canonly assume Domenech has 19 sex tapes of board members with hookers...or maybe even 20, but one guy thought it would actually be better to ruin his marriage then have Domenech managing for another tournament!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Wreck wrote: »

no thats right it was cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

For further laughs- the BBC's report on the matter

I wonder did anyone take maybe just five minutes to at least call up Arsene Wenger and see if he had any interest whatsoever???

In fairness to the FAI at least they had the common sense to get rid of Stan when he showed he wasnt up to the job.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7487680.stm
    Domenech kept on as France coach

Domenech led the French to the 2006 World Cup final
    France coach Raymond Domenech will remain in charge of the national team despite their failure at Euro 2008.

Domenech's position was under threat after his side failed to win any of their three games at the tournament and were knocked out in the group stages.

But a statement from the French Football Federation (FFF) confirmed he will lead their World Cup challenge.

"Domenech's record is not that bad as coach. It is not catastrophic," said FFF president Jean-Pierre Escalettes.

"He qualified for a major competition two straight times. I did not want emotion and passion to get the better of reason."

The FFF said that Domenech's targets "have been re-defined and his managerial responsibilities re-evaluated".

Domenech received 18 votes backing him to stay, with one abstention.

Domenech took over from Jacques Santini as France manager after Euro 2004 and guided the team to the 2006 World Cup final, where they lost on penalties to Italy.

But despite that success he has not always been a popular coach and has earned himself a reputation as a controversial character.

Escalettes said Domenech must change his ways and avoid the sort of comments the president described as "sometimes like pouring vinegar on a wound".

"He only has one mission now, to concentrate on what happens on the field," Escalettes added. "Now the communication has to be focused on the French team, not personal viewpoints.

"In my opinion this communication was sometimes disastrous, aggressive and lacking clarity. He has a few years of experience behind him, and it's up to him to show he can bounce back from this failure."

France's first qualifier for the 2010 World Cup is back in Vienna against Euro co-hosts Austria on 6 September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

LOL..... disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    i canonly assume Domenech has 19 sex tapes of board members with hookers...or maybe even 20, but one guy thought it would actually be better to ruin his marriage then have Domenech managing for another tournament!

I'd admire that 1 guy.

Seriously though, I was born in this country, grew up in this counrty, Ireland is where my heart is and always will be. Been to the last 2 Ireland france games and proudly cheered on Ireland.

I have lots of French connections and since Ireland weren't in the Euro's, I was rooting for France and hoping to see some nice football and with the vast amount of talent they have at their disposal, who could have blamed me but with Domenech, I was pre-prepared to be disappointed.

In a sense, I did get brief joy when they finally crashed out of the tournament because I thought "yes, this has to be the final nail in the coffin". I will be utterly gutting to see him lead out another French team onto a football pitch. I have no confidence in Domenech and I wonder how many of the players feel the same.

You think that the players will retire and that they may do but if/when the team does really bad, they'll feel crap about it and come out of retirement after they have been so fustrated at what they are seeing.

I'd love to see a French team managed by Wenger but as he has shown so far, he has always forfilled his contract obligations.

How long does Wenger have left on his contract. I beleive it runs until 2011 but I'm not sure about that. At least if it is 2011, he could take over for the Euro 2012. I think he could turn France into a an enetertaining side to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Hard to believe tbh. I thought the interview after being knocked out would have sealed the deal (not to mention the refusal to change the team to get rid of the deadwood).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Yeah. She didn't say yes.

OMG that makes it even better. A moment of monumental embarrassment of which Ricky Gervais or Steve Cogan would be proud lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The only reason i can think of for him staying is that he used to coach the youth teams or U-21s! With the young players coming through, maybe they feel he can nurture them!! Ha Ha!! I'm really scraping the barrel looking for reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Domenech to stay?
    Hm...Is there anyone normal in France?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I'd admire that 1 guy.

Seriously though, I was born in this country, grew up in this counrty, Ireland is where my heart is and always will be. Been to the last 2 Ireland france games and proudly cheered on Ireland.

I have lots of French connections and since Ireland weren't in the Euro's, I was rooting for France and hoping to see some nice football and with the vast amount of talent they have at their disposal, who could have blamed me but with Domenech, I was pre-prepared to be disappointed.

In a sense, I did get brief joy when they finally crashed out of the tournament because I thought "yes, this has to be the final nail in the coffin". I will be utterly gutting to see him lead out another French team onto a football pitch. I have no confidence in Domenech and I wonder how many of the players feel the same.

You think that the players will retire and that they may do but if/when the team does really bad, they'll feel crap about it and come out of retirement after they have been so fustrated at what they are seeing.

I'd love to see a French team managed by Wenger but as he has shown so far, he has always forfilled his contract obligations.

How long does Wenger have left on his contract. I beleive it runs until 2011 but I'm not sure about that. At least if it is 2011, he could take over for the Euro 2012. I think he could turn France into a an enetertaining side to watch.

Im in the same boat I have dual citizenship and I had the exact same thought. They are out and so will Domenech.

It's clearly evident that Domenech in incapable of selecting his best squad, after all these years as manager he is still shifting and changing the team. With no clue as to what is the winning formula.

Abidal as a central defender!!!!!!!!!!! er? um? eh?............ Que?

Guily in his prime never got a shot at the French team in the last WC due to Domenech's ignorance. There is a long list of French players that either should have or should be named in that national Squad.

How long did it take Evra to get his game?

The introduction of Gomis based on a friendly game where he scored some nice goals (in acres of space under no pressure) was just plain nieve, his inexperience really shined through in the Euros.

From the pool of players he has access to, he selects a striker from one of the smallest clubs in the country and expects him to perform (he could well be a talent in the future) in the biggest setting the player has ever seen. Tut tut tut....

The problem is Domenech lead a National team to a World Cup final, unfortunately what no one in the French FA seems to realise is that it was not Domenech that carried them there, it was the one and only Zinadine Zidane. I can almost see the scenario that occured in the dressing room. Domenech gives his instructions to the player's, meanwhile in the tunnel Zidane gives his........I wonder who the players would have listened to?

In many respects I wish Zidane had not been a part of that squad as Domenech's inadequecies as a manager would have been exposed in that World Cup.

I'm flabbergasted and disgusted by their decision I mean I know how hard it is to sack someone in France but this is taking it to a new level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Trezequet (sp?) is the first casualty of Domenech staying on as he today announced his retirement from international football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Trezequet (sp?) is the first casualty of Domenech staying on as he today announced his retirement from international football
    Thats if Domenech lets him! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It takes quite an achievement to make world cup final and no-one rates you as a manager, well except maybe the French FA

Poor decision by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Since the French are so famous at going on strike, I do find this a good enough reason for the national squad to go on strike.

Vive la revolution!

Advertisement