Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Shed for My Donkey

Options
  • 03-07-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Just need a bit of advice - need a shed to put my donkey in at night
    All suggestions greatly accepted.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Don't know much about donkeys but I'd love to have one but no room at the inn here.

Do you have pictures would love to she him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Katzy

No photo's on computer...Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Have you thought about building a permanent stable for him or rang the donkey sanctuaries for advice. I hope you work it out.Your so lucky:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

how about building one?
    General Barn and Utility Shed Plans

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ok, I dont really know much about your setup but will give it a go.

Donkeys dont really need to be put in at night as long as they have shelter. Shelter can be in the form of a good hedge, trees, or a lean-to shed. I'd recommend the lean-to approach and you can perhaps make it so that you can shut the entrance perhaps? Many companies in Ireland and UK sell ready built self-assemble lean tos and stables. If they can be classified as portable, you dont need any sort of planning permission.

Donkeys also love another donkey for company, thats nearly more important than any sort of housing tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Agree with fits, just build a 3-sides shelter for him in the field, then he can choose whether to be in or out. you can also rug him like you would a pony to keep him dry in the winter if you like. and yes, a companion donkey is absolutely 100% essential. you must get him a companion, if you can't afford to buy one (they are a huge price now, some are more expensive than a pony!) you could adopt a donkey from the donkey sanctuary.
    I just noticed your location in Sligo, there is a lovely donkey rescue up there, maybe you could contact the lady and ask her if she has any donkeys looking for a home? this is her website: www.donkeys.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

We had a donkey as compionship for my horse shelter is needed alright but a three sided lean to in the field would be sufficient make sure its in a sheltered spot and the open side is not in the prevailing wind. Also the foundation to be dry.

There is another shelter up in Donegal its the richard martin restfields up in Glenleary, Ramelton Donegal or the donkey sanctury in Liscarrol in Cork

Advertisement